SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 122 Amazon on which I recently completed a major rehab (fuel and brakes lines, brakes, body, interior, gas tank, clutch, front end, full motor rebuild, starter, generator, carbs, etc). I replaced the pinion seal in the rear end but was getting a small amount of leaking so I replaced it again and I'm still getting a small bit of leaking. I checked to make sure I was not seeing leakage from the gasket on the rear end cover and it appears that the leak is definitely coming from the pinion seal. Questions: is it possible/likely that there is some sort of gouge or ding in the race where the pinion seal sits that is allowing oil to leak ? I didn't detect anything significant when I installed the new seal but who knows. If so, how would I correct that issue? Someone suggested I apply silicone sealer to the race and then insert a new pinion seal. Does that sound like it might work? Any other suggestions? It kind of sucks that I rehabed the whole car and I have to put a piece of cardboard under the rear end to absorb the small mountain of oil that leaks from the pinion. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The surface where the pinion seal rides can wear a groove over time. This will not allow the seal to seal effectively. You indicate you didn’t see anything but there may be one there.

Refill-sleeves are available to remedy this, would be a combination of a redisleeve and seal to match.

I haven’t checked to see if one is available for your car.

https://www.timken.com/products/timken-mechanical-power-transmission-products/seals/redi-sleeves/

Edit:

Found one, you’ll have to do your own diligence to make sure this is the right one.

https://www.carid.com/national/differential-pinion-repair-sleeve-rear-outer-mpn-99155.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. I presume its just a matter of prying the old sleeve out and taping the new on in. Correct?
John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. I presume its just a matter of prying the old sleeve out and taping the new on in. Correct?
John
Craig, I think I misunderstood. Are you saying I would install the new sleeve into the existing race and then install a new seal that is specific to the new sleeve? I see now that this would have to be the way to do it since there is no sleeve in the pinion now. How do I get a good seal between the existing race and the sleeve?
The sleeve you linked looks like the one I need. When I order the sleeve, I will ask the supplier for a seal that fits that sleeve, correct?
Thanks for your help.
John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craig, I think I misunderstood. Are you saying I would install the new sleeve into the existing race and then install a new seal that is specific to the new sleeve? I see now that this would have to be the way to do it since there is no sleeve in the pinion now. How do I get a good seal between the existing race and the sleeve?
The sleeve you linked looks like the one I need. When I order the sleeve, I will ask the supplier for a seal that fits that sleeve, correct?
Thanks for your help.
John
I just watched a video of a sleeve being installed. Now I get it. I'll have to remove the pinion seal and get a measurement of before I order the sleeve. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The surface where the pinion seal rides can wear a groove over time. This will not allow the seal to seal effectively. You indicate you didn’t see anything but there may be one there.

Refill-sleeves are available to remedy this, would be a combination of a redisleeve and seal to match.

I haven’t checked to see if one is available for your car.

https://www.timken.com/products/timken-mechanical-power-transmission-products/seals/redi-sleeves/

Edit:

Found one, you’ll have to do your own diligence to make sure this is the right one.

https://www.carid.com/national/differential-pinion-repair-sleeve-rear-outer-mpn-99155.html
I removed the pinion and seal. The shaft looks fine, no grooves, no pitting etc. Any other ideas on what might be causing the oil leak/
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slow leak still there

I removed the pinion and seal. The shaft looks fine, no grooves, no pitting etc. Any other ideas on what might be causing the oil leak/
Thanks
I went ahead and purchased and installed a sleeve and new seal. I am still getting a slow (about 1 drop every 1 minute leak from the front of the rear end unit. I checked the race where the outside of the seal fits into the rear end and I did not detect any dents, groves or deformities. The pinion shaft coming from the rear end that the drive shaft flange attaches too has a bit of play (approximately 1/8 inch of movement up and down or side to side. Would this possibly cause the oil leak?
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts