SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howzit guys?

Well on my t5 there's an oil leak on the right hand side of the cam cover right next to the MAF. There's a round black piece of plastic there, i honestly don't know whay it is but the oil seems to be eminating from there which is wrapped around the cam cover.

The red arrow shows the leak.

Please advise...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Have not seen that one before. Sorry I can't really help other than to tell you to get it looked at... Which we know what will happen next...$$$

·
Registered
837 Posts
pull that cover off. It could be cam sensor seal or maybe cam seal on other end. Mine looked like that when they went bad. Obviously yours has been leaking for a while thought and your just now noticing it sadly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the reply mkd28.

Removing the cam cover, is it a simple procedure of removing the plugs and bolts then cam cover off, or is it a bit more trickier than that?

Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
cerrone,
I think there is more to that cam cover. The cover is what actually holds the camshafts in place. Loosening the bolts I think will cause the camshafts to lift due to the valve springs. Do some reading first before you venture there. You could make an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
837 Posts
okay lets get this straight. by cam cover I am referring to the plastic beauty shield on the top. DO NOT remove the actual metal cam cover obviously.

·
Registered
484 Posts
you have a leaking camshaft rubber cap, you can replace it yourself in 10 min, buy the new one its around $15-20 at local parts store or dealer, take a phillips, or sharp flat head screwdriver and poke a hole in middle of that rubber cap. Next thing just pry it out by using your screwdriver as a leverage in the hole. Get a new rubber cap and gently and evenly push it in the hole, once it wont go in using your fingers lightly tap it evenly with plastic hammer or screwdriver handle until it sits in the same position as the old one (flushed with the cylinder head)

P.S you dont wanna mess with the actual valve cover unless you have done it before and have special tools for the job as it unlike most of the cars, our valve covers hold the camshaft in the place

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx shadow and you were right on.

the rubber cap costs when coverted to US dollars 7 bucks.

the cap itself is metal covered with rubber but the middle part of the cap has a hole covered by rubber and this is where you insert a flat nose screw driver

and yeah, very easy to remove, first remove the MAF to have proper leverage to remove the cap.

comes out easy and then fit the new cap, use a rubber mallet to light tap and make sure the cap is secured...I've driven 100kms and still no leaks, so now I can clean engine and smile knowing it will stay oil free clean...big smile.

·
Registered
837 Posts
my cam cover actually blew off today and started leaking oil. I smelled burning and pulled over. luckily it got wedged against the MAF. I guess I will be replacing it. I was seriously concerned that the cam seal was leaking or something. Ive already replaced both cam seals on the passenger side but didn't bother with the other ones.

thanks for this thread and an update on the resolution. Hopefully it fixes mine, cant understand how it blew out of its home though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is your PCV system clogged? Does your dipstick make a whistling sound from the air pressure?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Is your PCV system clogged? Does your dipstick make a whistling sound from the air pressure?
No, PCV is new and no whistle. Must have just been loose and when your on boost there is positive pressure in the crankcase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts