SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front passenger caliper is leaking. I recently installed my SS lines and new pads with no issues. A few days later, "brake fluid low, service immediately" or whatever pops up. So I top off the fluid and it goes away. About a week later, message returns so I figure I better take a look. Well to my surprise, my caliper is leaking and due to the heat has melted some of the backside of the caliper. Would a rebuild be recommended or should I jsut buy a new caliper? I obviously can't diagnose the problem until I take it apart, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Leaking caliper (NappyR)

There were plenty of used calipers floating around - that is until those non-"R" S60 folks swooped 'em up

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Find friend with R under warranty.

Swap caliper.

Have friend go in for service/complain.

Buy friend a sh*t load of beer.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
Where is is leaking at? The bleeder screw or the supply line in the backside or the SS line itself?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
Where is is leaking at? The bleeder screw or the supply line in the backside or the SS line itself?

Not the bleeder screw...it's leaking at the bottom of the caliper, the SS line is dry...

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
Re: (NappyR)

Quote, originally posted by NappyR »

Not the bleeder screw...it's leaking at the bottom of the caliper, the SS line is dry...

It sounds like its coming out of the port where the SS line screws in. If the threads aren't already stripped, try using some Teflon tape and redoing it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by phuz »

It sounds like its coming out of the port where the SS line screws in. If the threads aren't already stripped, try using some Teflon tape and redoing it.

Ok, I'll try to look into that tonight...Thanks for the advice! At first glance I didn't notice any issues with fitment, but will check it. I guess I just assumed that I would have to take the caliper apart and get a rebuild kit depending on what was going on in there...

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts

Ok, I'll try to look into that tonight...Thanks for the advice! At first glance I didn't notice any issues with fitment, but will check it. I guess I just assumed that I would have to take the caliper apart and get a rebuild kit depending on what was going on in there...

If it's only leaking at the bottom, then it's most likely dripping from the fitting down the back of the caliper. If it was leaking up higher, I'd suspect the bleeder screws or the piston boots themselves...but these are Brembos baby!

Good luck! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sweet, thanks for the help! I'll take a look as soon as I can and get back with you...

Besides the cosmetic damage on the caliper itself, would there be any issue with driving it short distances? I just don't have a second vehcile to get to and from work...

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the help! I'll take a look as soon as I can and get back with you...

Besides the cosmetic damage on the caliper itself, would there be any issue with driving it short distances? I just don't have a second vehcile to get to and from work...

You will most likely drip some on the wheel and ruin its paint too, but as long as you keep the level full, it will be fine. Once the level goes below a certain point, you will be compressing air, and have no braking power.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Dont use teflon tape all it does is melt away in breakfluid .

Also I need a cheap R caliper to make up some brakets so .....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Chilled Man)

The bleeder bolt on the inside of the caliper needs replaced...gonna get one from the dealer and hopefully that will fix the issue. Thanks guys for the time/advice!

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts

The bleeder bolt on the inside of the caliper needs replaced...gonna get one from the dealer and hopefully that will fix the issue. Thanks guys for the time/advice!

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Depending on how much they want...there is always the option of replacing the bleeder screws with http://www.speedbleeder.com. I just recently replaced all mine and it makes bleeding brakes the easiest one-man job ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts