SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed my trans is leaking in the angle gear mating area. Is it possible to replace the seal/seals on the trans output shaft without removing the collar sleave for the angle gear? Thanks for any help you can lend.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The whole angle gear has to come out. The collar sleeve just slides off once you remove the snap ring.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yeah angle gear has to come out. Be very careful removing the seals, don't scratch where the seal seals against the transmission and don't pry in there with a screwdriver like me and damage one of the bearings in the transmission because you will then have to split the transmission to replace them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole angle gear has to come out. The collar sleeve just slides off once you remove the snap ring.
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the collar sleeve is cemented on in some cases. I've seen plenty of threads that people have to use a puller, a torch, or just cut it off. I use my R as a daily right now so this has to be a weekend project cause work. Hence ensuring that I'm fully prepared.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My collar sleeve came off like butter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the collar sleeve is cemented on in some cases. I've seen plenty of threads that people have to use a puller, a torch, or just cut it off. I use my R as a daily right now so this has to be a weekend project cause work. Hence ensuring that I'm fully prepared.
Sometimes it is cemented.......... with rust

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't the collar gears usually get seized onto the angle gear, not the tranny? To do what you're attempting, ya gotta pull the axle and AG. I think there was a snap ring recessed in there as well. Go slow and be careful about reinstalling the AG and axle. Mark your knuckle/strut so you can put it back where it was, thus not requiring a realignment.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You don't have to remove the collar!! I assume this is an m66. I did mine about a year ago with the collar in place, the snap ring does have to come off though.

Remove angle gear assembly, snap ring, figure out a gentle way to pry the seal and reinstall in reverse. Not a horrible job, just not fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't have to remove the collar!! I assume this is an m66. I did mine about a year ago with the collar in place, the snap ring does have to come off though.

Remove angle gear assembly, snap ring, figure out a gentle way to pry the seal and reinstall in reverse. Not a horrible job, just not fun.
Do you know the seal part number? I ordered the Collar gear kit from IPD and it includes some seals but I am unsure if those seals are the ones I will need.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't remember off the top of my head. If you post a diagram I can tell you which it is. Btw, the dealer was no help when I got mine, they wanted to sell me the large seal, not the small inner seal that goes around the axle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't remember off the top of my head. If you post a diagram I can tell you which it is. Btw, the dealer was no help when I got mine, they wanted to sell me the large seal, not the small inner seal that goes around the axle.

Here you go.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Its number 29 on the diagram. Don't let the dealer tell you it's 30, that goes around the sleeve if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Anytime and good luck. Be very careful putting the axle back in, it is easy to knick the seal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts