SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had pretty bad rain here yesterday, and my Left A Pillar is damp all the way down. I could feel any more wet spots on the inside.
Is it likely its the moulding/seal that runs from the roof along the windshield? How hard is that to replace?
thanks

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If you have a sunroof its the more likely culprit, so make sure the lines are good (they run through the a pillar) and unclogged. That windshield molding is not a seal, just a trim piece, the front windshield glue that holds it in is what seals out the water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hah, funny. I was just about to put up a similar post. Nothing funny about having a leak, however. I've had one for about 6 months, the worst was steady rain where i got about 2 inches in the driver's side floor pan. Thank god is wasn't the passenger side due to the amplifier and what not. What is it about the driver's side A pillar that's more susceptible to leaks?

OP - have you ever had the windshield replaced? I know mine was before I purchased the car, but it didn't leak for years after I bought it.

Stealthy - I've checked the drain opening in the sunroof well with the sunroof open. The drain is not visibly clogged, so I pulled the trim panel on the A pillar, but as I suspected, the drain runs internally through the interior of the pillar. Is there some kind of thin wire or tool you recommend to try and test the drain? Like using a rod on a "real" plumbing drain? It'd have to be then enough to fit through but strong enough to be rigid and push through. Solid copper electrical wire is the first thing that came to mind, like if I stripped some 12G or something similar.

Also - any hint on where the bottom of the drain is? I figured I could check from underneath the car also, but I have to admit I haven't got that far. The leak seems to be coming in behind the lower dash, just follow the pillar down, if that makes sense.

For years I've been parking indoors, at home and at work, and now I was transferred and have to park outside (not happy about the sunlight on the paint either) - of course the leak wasn't so pressing when I knew I was parked indoors.

Thanks in advance all. OP - good luck with yours, share any info you come back with and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a camelbak Reservoir hose cleaning tool and cleaned both drains out. All kinds of black crap was on the end of the brush.
I dont know where it exits the car though. I also dont know if the hose itself has any leaks.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Water runs down the A-pillar and behind your front fender. If your drain is clear, you will see water drip out behind your wheel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen. I've been around the board for years, but really not much recently. Looks like a lot of new owners, I guess that's a good thing.
Once I saw the similar issue, I didn't bother to search for sunroof drain information...and I actually have the pillar cover off right now, but didn't see an obvious drain tube - that's why I figured it was inside the pillar itself. I'll have to take another look at it this weekend. I found a covered parking spot for the past few days.

I've had the pillar cover off previously, that's where my boost gauge is mounted. (Not off completely, due to the straps on it and the compressed air bags behind it. But disconnected enough to look behind it and mount the gauge.)

Since I've switched jobs, I now work a full day and can leave on time, as opposed to being stuck at work for 8-12 hours depending on the day. Makes having a life a little easier.

I will be looking at this over the weekend, so thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts