SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently in the middle of swapping the LCA's and Ball Joints and I've come to a stand still as I can't seem to get all the bushings lined up and then connect the ball joint.

I've tried Vise Versa....Just looking for a couple tips so I don't go to sleep angry.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
remove the sway bar links (just take off one of the two nuts), it will make the job over 9000 times easier.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
remove the sway bar links (just take off one of the two nuts), it will make the job over 9000 times easier.
Already did that.

I'm able to insert the rear bushing, as well as the front....but the ball joint connection is impossible with both connected so I tried the rear only and legit it's like a teaser at how close I got it when the metal of the bushing surround came in contact with the frame.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Once the LCAs are bolted up you use a ratchet strap to pull them down, position the ball joints over the holes in the LCA and then slowly unratchet the LCAs. I did a sort of writeup a while back. Try search because I don't have the link. It has all the torque specs in it too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the passenger side in. Needless to say, due to time and resources my indy is helping me out with the other....only 30 bucks ;)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
A ratchet strap would have definitely been less than $30...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A ratchet strap would have definitely been less than $30...
See....the thing is....I didn't have a car to go get one....and time has dwindled to nothing..kinda went into this blind

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
next time undo the front engine cradle bolt all the way, then thread back a couple threads by hand. This will drop the subframe enough to give the wiggle you need. Just be sure to re-tighten it when done and only do one side at a time!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I'm on the topic of suspension. Anyone have a remedy for a frozen knuckle bolt? I currently have the bolts soaking in PB but a breaker bar and a 3 foot lead pipe wouldn't budge it!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
See....the thing is....I didn't have a car to go get one....and time has dwindled to nothing..kinda went into this blind
Next time use search. If you are going to work on your car chances are someone already did it and info is posted up. How did you get the car to you mechanic. Also, don't you have friends to drive for you if you need something?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next time use search. If you are going to work on your car chances are someone already did it and info is posted up. How did you get the car to you mechanic. Also, don't you have friends to drive for you if you need something?

I was able to get the passenger side LCA on with ALOT of handling therefore I could drive to the mechanic as I was extremely pressed on time this weekend. As for friends, yes I have them but the vast majority of them work Sunday and Monday :/

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
While I'm on the topic of suspension. Anyone have a remedy for a frozen knuckle bolt? I currently have the bolts soaking in PB but a breaker bar and a 3 foot lead pipe wouldn't budge it!
That should work. Try just the breaker bar and hit it with a rubber mallet. The quick force along with a little vibration should help. Make sure you are using a 1/2" drive breaker and impact socket; I have broken sockets when attempting to break bolts with Craftsmen tools. If you can borrow an impact gun then that might work too.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I was able to get the passenger side LCA on with ALOT of handling therefore I could drive to the mechanic as I was extremely pressed on time this weekend. As for friends, yes I have them but the vast majority of them work Sunday and Monday :/
You need new friends. :p

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That should work. Try just the breaker bar and hit it with a rubber mallet. The quick force along with a little vibration should help. Make sure you are using a 1/2" drive breaker and impact socket; I have broken sockets when attempting to break bolts with Craftsmen tools. If you can borrow an impact gun then that might work too.

The Impact Gun wouldn't touch it. I'll let the bolts soak for a week or so I wont have the Eibachs for a couple weeks anyways.

You need new friends. :p

I know right Sunday Funday's rarely occur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts