SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a ton of talk about bogging the car, etc. So I thought I'd share my opinion on the subject. I haven't really had the opportunity to race from a dig in the R yet, but coming from a few other AWD cars here's what I can say about launching an AWD car:<p>Bring the cluctch up almost to the point of engagement, try to catch your revs on the upswing between 3500-4000rpm (as in gas, release, gas, release) and then launch giving the clutch a little slip.<p>This is how I launched my S4, and my 993 C4S and it usually yielded pretty good results.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: Launching the R (Jay_SB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Jay_SB</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bring the cluctch up almost to the point of engagement, try to catch your revs on the upswing between 3500-4000rpm (as in gas, release, gas, release) and then launch giving the clutch a little slip.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>That is a great point. The R can be launched it is just very tricky. By pumping the gas you keep pressure in the turbo. If you leave it on a constant rpm the pressure will be released.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Yup, this would work just fine. Of course, put some $$$ into your clutch fund.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Re: (flybynight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>flybynight</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup, this would work just fine. Of course, put some $$$ into your clutch fund.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>and your angle gear fund....must not forget that!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Launching the R (Rangeball)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Rangeball</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>That is a great point. The R can be launched it is just very tricky. By pumping the gas you keep pressure in the turbo. If you leave it on a constant rpm the pressure will be released.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Good point about the turbo and not holding the RPM's up too long. I can say that my best launches in my R were with a quick kick of the gas up to ~4200 RPM and then somewhere between a dump of the clutch, flooring the gas but keeping an ear/eye on the RPM's and modulating the clutch to avoid engine bog (not Haldex bog). It sure is tricky to get it just right. Dump the clutch too quickly and the engine bogs, ride it out too much and waste your clutch and in both such cases you've lost the race.<p>As others have mentioned, and I agree, that it's easier to get the launch just right when the roads offer some tire slippage (ie. when it's cold and/or a bit wet).<p>ps. I always have the A/C off, 4C in Advanced mode and DSTC completely off and I <I>think</I> MY06 with newer Haldex are easier to launch more consistantly since the there is little or no Haldex bog to contend with.<p>LTA<p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts