SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nov 2020 Updates for convenient listing of Roadmaps, Voice Control, and Gracenote for Sensus (e.g., MY16+ SPA series)

Notice: For SPA and CMA vehicles, go to “Sensus Navigation (2016)” download page for MY16-21” models. Any other Road Map download page will download incompatible files.

Roadmap Updates and Instructions
1320*, 19 November 2020: Europe, North America, et al

*Check your region's website for: Africa and Middle East, India, Israel, Pacific, South America, South East Asia, Taiwan, and Turkey[/COLOR]

Roadmap Download Support Pages
Canada:https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...afa20bbc69e9d8
US: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378
UK: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=spa&cstype=map&cscount=8
Note: Volvo Cars US recommends use of the US download site (not U.K.) for US models

Voice control: 32141802AA released October 24, 2019 ** (IHU Software Update recommended by Volvo TJ)
US: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765
UK: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=spa&cstype=speech

Voice control commands: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9512/~/voice-commands Updated: 25 Nov. 2019 US English​
Gracenote: 31667039AA released May 2017 (base).
US: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9849
UK: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=spa&cstype=gracenote

Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
US: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9752/year/2016/model/XC90
UK: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/Pag...015160fce4ac#4e9fce00d0afd800c0a8015123e96919

* Road map versions and dates may vary by map region. Road maps are generally updated monthly. OTA is available for select regions. Even though you may have installed the full region as the initial base, you may update individual sub-regions over-the-air. Check your specific region and your market's support website if not North America or Europe. Instructions for checking your version can be found on your Volvo region's Owner/Roadmap pages.

** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control will typically be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November). Practically, it is being updated once per year (e.g., April or November).

OTA v. USB
Over-the-Air roadmap updates are available if you have adequate internet connectivity. Set to Auto Update so that your Home Region is always current. You must set your home region.
Notice: You may receive a notice in Sensus that a newer version of software (e.g., Apps or Roadmap) is available OTA. Downloads are packaged as subregions so that they are smaller and faster to download and install.
  • Fastest: You may download and install "on the go" if you have adequate internet connectivity. Make sure your home region is installed first. Also, you may select multiple subregion downloads which would occur in the background. (For MY16s: Navigation may not be available during the installation, until you stop and shut off and lock your car briefly.)
  • Best: If you want to avoid annoying update messages, you should consider the USB method and install the update for your entire base map (e.g., North America). It takes about up to [35] minutes to install in the vehicle once you have downloaded to a USB from your computer.

Update Strategies
1. Install what you want and need for the near future.
2. Update your entire region (or desired subregions) a few days before you leave home.
3. Don't assume that you will always have a cellular connection.

Update Methods
1. Over-the-Air (OTA) Update of your Home Region is the minimum and is sufficient for most. (It also minimizes the persistent "updates available" messages.)
- For MY17 and newer models, you should have built-in 4G LTE VOC and Vehicle modems.
* 4G LTE is sufficient if you have good cellular connection and unlimited data.
* Otherwise, use your home WiFi or a $G LTE or 5G cellular hotspot - connecting your car to your local WiFi. This can be the cheapest and fastest if available for your home region. OTA for multiple regions can work as long as you have the time.
- For MY16s and earlier, your vehicle will likely have 3G VOC and Vehicle modems which are slower. T-MO was last reported to be shutting down its 3G data network by the end of 2021, but that may have changed. AT&T extended their shut-down of 3G data to February 2022.
* 3G can work okay for small home region OTA updates. Small varies based on your level of patience. 200MB is my baseline. The full NA update is about 34 GB so OTA is not viable for a full NA update.
* Otherwise, use your home WiFi or a $G LTE or 5G cellular hotspot - connecting your car to your local WiFi. This can be the cheapest and fastest if available for your home region.
2. USB Update is the fastest method to update a full region an entire Region (e.g., NA) as it will take about 30 minutes once download to a USB memory stick from your computer.
* There is no dependency on cellular or WiFi connections.
* There is no need to stop on your trip, turn off your car, lock it and re-start to allow the road updates to complete and for road navigation to be available.

Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
cSee detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.

Notes
0. Disregard the reported version on VolvoCars US website as there is a lag to update the road map version on the US webpage. UK’s is always current.
1. Road map updates occur ~ monthly in most markets. Voice control is ~ once per year. COVID-19 has slowed the update cadence.
2. Full Road map updates for a region (e.g., all of NA) can take up to 2.0 hours to download (e.g., full NA, 35 GB) from your computer to the USB drive. The install from USB to the vehicle takes about 30 min.
- The download app displays a progress percent complete. The elapsed time may vary depending the Class of the USB drive - Class 10 being recommended.
- Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete.
- Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
3. OTA road map updates are available in selected markets. OTA updates are most practical for your home region since the file size is smaller. You may update multiple regions. If you plan to update the entire map base (e.g., North America or Europe), the recommendation is to use at least a ~64 GB thumb drive. Use your WiFi connection and save your mobile data as you wish.
4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App - requiring you to initiate the download of the maps.
5. A fast, empty 64 GB USB drive (or larger) is recommended to be formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work. For models with dual USB ports, use the USB port that is enclosed by a white.
6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
A. At home, you must babysit the car when USB and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake for about 35 min. at 6-7 min. intervals. Do not remove the USB drive until the install is 100% done - lest you may have a dealer visit in your near future. You may wish to connect a Battery Tender or Maintainer to maintain your battery charge level while the installation occurs for ~30 min. Do not start your ICE in the enclosed garage. A battery tender is safer.
B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than the 35 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off. Your Sensus Navigation will not be available while updating Road maps. At least on MY16s, navigation may not be available until after you have stopped, shut off your car, locked your car for a couple of minutes - allowing Sensus to effectively re-boot.
C. Voice control installation must be performed separately from road maps.
D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
8. For MacBook users, The download app now supports 64-bit applications. Reformat a USB drive on your Mac rather than use a PC formatted drive as a precaution.
9. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it.
10. If you encounter an error with the OTA update, there are two options.(A) Shut the car off, lock it and let it recycle for several minutes and try again; or (B) Download to a clean USB drive, verify its contents, and install via USB port.
11. You may update one or more smaller regions (e.g., UK) even though you may have originally installed the full region. The other, older maps for the larger market (e.g., Europe) will be retained.
12. Be sure to download the SPA version which should have SPA in the name of the download site or file. For USA, go to custhelp.volvocars.com and select the correct model year and model before selecting download: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/ownersmanualDownload/year/2016/model/XC90 T8 (This link happens to be for MY16 XC90 T8 as an example even though all SPA MY16s-21s use the same downloader.
Here is the link for the UK, as another example: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/downloads/download-details?cstype=map&csid=spa
14. Install any and all pending Volvo and third app updates first before installing road map updates. Close the app before the update (e.g., Pandora); otherwise, the installation may hang up.
15. If your installation seems to stop, pause, or shows no progress, be patient. Some updates can take longer and it appears that pending Volvo and third party apps may have, or take, priority over map updates.
16. If all else fails, try to re-install Voice Control, and then re-install maps. Sidwin and a Volvo dealer in DEN did this with help from Volvo Tech Support. However, if your vehicle has the latest voice control software this option may not work since the installer detects an older version on the USB than what is installed in the car.
17. If OTA is installing your Home Region, let it finish first. If you try to install from the USB while your vehicle is installing your Home Region OTA, the OTA will pause and create an issue - leaving you without navigation until the vehicle resolves it. If the full USB does not install, you may end up with a partial install and no navigation which takes you to Step 16 and likely the dealer.
18. Please don’t complain about the frequency of road map updates. Turn-by-turn directions and other enhancements are typically included. More frequent and free updates are better than infrequent updates at a cost. (e.g., Toyota and other brands).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Would you mind posting instructions on how to install? I'm sure there are other threads with this information, but it would be useful in this thread as well.

Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
Thread stickied, thanks for making this up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks Gary, I appreciate this!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I took delivery of my MY16 xc90 in July 2016, never had any software updates since, and just last month I've updated the voice and 1173 map update, didn't see any difference or problems. So my question is, according to #7 written above, should I be concerned for future updates? Anybody know what that November update includes?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you did not have the November update applied before updating voice commands and roadmaps 1170 or newer, you may want to call Volvo's Customer Care to see what the impact is, if any. You may be fine if navigation and voice commands are working reasonably well.

My note #7 was intended to highlight Volvo's note in the instructions which said:
Note: If your XC90 was delivered to you prior to November 14, 2016, please be sure your car has received the most recent software update at your local authorized Volvo dealer.
P.S., I do not know the details of the November update and its dependency. For some reason, I thought the focus and dependency was for improved voice command functionality and future voice command updates.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
So I took delivery of my MY16 xc90 in July 2016, never had any software updates since, and just last month I've updated the voice and 1173 map update, didn't see any difference or problems. So my question is, according to #7 written above, should I be concerned for future updates? Anybody know what that November update includes?

Supposedly the 1170 map update required the November 2016 total software update. In practice, like you, I installed that update without a total software update and didn't have any issues.

That being said, the total software update in November included support for Android Auto, bug fixes and introduced a bug that caused battery drain but for which a workaround has been put in place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Supposedly the 1170 map update required the November 2016 total software update. In practice, like you, I installed that update without a total software update and didn't have any issues.

That being said, the total software update in November included support for Android Auto, bug fixes and introduced a bug that caused battery drain but for which a workaround has been put in place.
Thanks for the feedback. If I never had apple carplay, then I assume I won't have Android auto even after installing the November update? I will hold off on the software update until my first 10k oil change is due.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. If I never had apple carplay, then I assume I won't have Android auto even after installing the November update? I will hold off on the software update until my first 10k oil change is due.

Android Auto is currently only available for MY17 vehicles that have two USB ports. Since CarPlay is standard for MY17 (at least here in the US), if you don't have CarPlay, you can't get Android Auto.

EDIT: I take that back. I forgot that Momentum without the Plus package does not have CarPlay. If this is your situation, I do not know what the upgrade path is, if any.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I updated my voice control this morning on my drive to work. When I inserted the USB it said do you want to update the voice control and then I clicked yes. After that a banner at the top of the screen said your voice control is updating. After that I did not see a progress wheel or any confirmation it was finished. Has anyone's experience with the voice control update been different or similar to mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I updated my voice control this morning on my drive to work. When I inserted the USB it said do you want to update the voice control and then I clicked yes. After that a banner at the top of the screen said your voice control is updating. After that I did not see a progress wheel or any confirmation it was finished. Has anyone's experience with the voice control update been different or similar to mine?

I recall reading that you won't actually see a progress bar for the voice updates and that you have to check the notification shade to see when it completes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recall reading that you won't actually see a progress bar for the voice updates and that you have to check the notification shade to see when it completes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I will check that on my way home from work today.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Mine was exactly like that. I had no indication of progress or any notification that it was finished until I got out of the car. Turned it off. Locked it. And then restarted it with the USB key still in the slot.

Then I got a message on sensus at boot up saying something like: "voice control update already installed". That's how I knew it had finished.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will check that on my way home from work today.

I updated mine this morning and can confirm there is no progress bar. You'll just get a notification staying the update is complete.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I updated mine this morning and can confirm there is no progress bar. You'll just get a notification staying the update is complete.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Odd -- I never got an update like that on my car. As mentioned above, I only found out it had installed successfully when i restarted the car with the USB stick still in the slot and it gave me a notification then that the voice control update was already installed.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Did the voice update today while I was working outside the car. Leaving the ignition in Mode I was futile since Sensus was staying on only for 10 minutes at a time. How can we use the car to listen to music while outside? i tried with the doors open and no difference.

I got the update done in Ignition Mode II. Obviously I won't try this with the map update. The Sensus screen closed itself but I knew it wasn't off since the light on the USB stick was on. After a short while (20 minutes) I checked the notification shade and it said Voice Control updated. No closing ignition, lock unlock needed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wanted to provide an update. My voice control update has been installed successfully. I must have missed the notification that it was installed. When I tried to reinstall this morning I received a notification that it already had been installed. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts