SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Latest SAAB Rumor...Koenigsegg interested

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Munin 
#1 ·
I've always liked Saab's and Volvo's, maybe its the underdog in me. This was on autoblog.com today, I think this would be a fantastic situation for Saab: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/0...ments

#2 ·
Re: Latest SAAB Rumor...Koenigsegg interested (DCPattie)

I've toured Koenigsegg's "factory" (basically an old hanger on a former Swedish AFB) and I can't imagine them having enough capital to bid on SAAB...not without serious backing from other sources.

#3 ·
Re: Latest SAAB Rumor...Koenigsegg interested (DCPattie)

Having no investment in either brand, this is a gamble I would love to see taken. Seems to me that from a philosophical standpoint there's not much better a match out there. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
Re: Latest SAAB Rumor...Koenigsegg interested (exizldelfuego)

Quote, originally posted by exizldelfuego »
Having no investment in either brand, this is a gamble I would love to see taken. Seems to me that from a philosophical standpoint there's not much better a match out there. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

If you mean the "born from jets" part then I might see a similar philosophy...but it's a stretch...

#5 ·
what's the asking price for Saab? Volvo is about $2billion. Why isnt Koenigsegg going for Volvo? Saab has only two models to offer? Wouldnt Volvo be a better deal? Quite a few ex-volvo engineers work at Koenigsegg and they used to (and might still do) used Volvo's wind tunnel for testing

#7 ·
Re: Latest SAAB Rumor...Koenigsegg interested (thesternowl)

Quote, originally posted by thesternowl »
If you mean the "born from jets" part then I might see a similar philosophy...but it's a stretch...

Not the "Born from jets" deal, but rather both seem to be independent, focused up-starts with unusual passions that resonate with unusual people. And again, I say this without really knowing just a whole lot about either company; I could be off-base in my assessment.

Quote, originally posted by Shimon »
what's the asking price for Saab? Volvo is about $2billion. Why isnt Koenigsegg going for Volvo? Saab has only two models to offer? Wouldnt Volvo be a better deal? Quite a few ex-volvo engineers work at Koenigsegg and they used to (and might still do) used Volvo's wind tunnel for testing

I'd think that Saab's smaller stable would actually make them more appealing to someone like Koenigsegg who already cater to a very specific niche. Koenigsegg has a very specific focus and Saab would allow them to take that same focus to a broader audience. Volvo-and its considerable stable-would overwhelm that focus.

#8 ·
Re: (Shimon)

Absolutely Koenigsegg could be the silent Swedish saviour we are all waiting for? FOR VOLVO.

Ford could partner with Koenigsegg and acquire the CCX, and the CCXR known as the Scandinavian miracle cars?

Koenigsegg redesigns the 1800 (WHY)?

His solar powered technology could easily become a Volvo.

Koenigsegg Quant Revealed: Solar-Powered Supercar Sedan : Auto NewsAfter teasing us with just one image a few weeks before the Geneva Auto Show, Swedish supercar maker Koenigsegg has revealed the Quant Concept car. ...
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-....html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages -

SAAB - Could be VW, Changan OR Geely. I'm leaning to Geely as they would love to get a foothold into Europe.

#9 ·
Re: (Shimon)

Because Ford wants $2 Billion for Volvo. SAAB they could pick up for a song, if that.
See the price tag for Volvo, isn't just $2 Billion. It's $2 Billion PLUS many hundreds of millions to run the company until the company is profitable again. Payroll, taxes, Advertising,R&D would all have to be paid for by the new owners.
That's a lot for a small company like Koenigsegg to come up with.

#10 ·
Re: (stev vanveit)

Quote, originally posted by stev vanveit »

Absolutely Koenigsegg could be the silent Swedish saviour we are all waiting for? FOR VOLVO.

Ford could partner with Koenigsegg and acquire the CCX, and the CCXR known as the Scandinavian miracle cars?

Koenigsegg redesigns the 1800 (WHY)?

His solar powered technology could easily become a Volvo.

Koenigsegg Quant Revealed: Solar-Powered Supercar Sedan : Auto NewsAfter teasing us with just one image a few weeks before the Geneva Auto Show, Swedish supercar maker Koenigsegg has revealed the Quant Concept car. ...
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-....html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages -

SAAB - Could be VW, Changan OR Geely. I'm leaning to Geely as they would love to get a foothold into Europe.

Where in the world did you get the idea that Koenigsegg would be among those interested in purchasing Volvo?

#11 ·
Re: (VolvoD)

Well I can't give all my secrets away.

However, if I can see it coming I can either duck and let it go by OR if I catch it I have to deal with it to the end. Then there are those situations where one has absolutely no control it just happens like a flat tire or information appears.

One of our older goalies Brassard that played for the Ottawa Senators was being interviewed and the reporter said "how come you didn't react when the puck hit the pipe and the crossbar 4 times in the game"? Brassard said what are you going to ask me next "why I didn't react to all the pucks that missed the net"?

The reporter stood there with his mouth open.

Modified by stev vanveit at 4:52 AM 6-4-2009

#12 ·
Re: (VolvoD)

I've sniffed around and it seems that Ira Leon Rennet investor and business man is one of the bidders for SAAB.

In addition SAAB has been granted three months extension in bankruptcy protection. I imagine it is so Ira can get the $700 million in order.

Saab Battle Down to U.S. Billionaire Ira Rennert, Koenigsegg ... - 2 visits - 9:19am29 May 2009 ... Saab Battle Down to US Billionaire Ira Rennert, Koenigsegg - Your auto encyclopedia.
http://www.autoevolution.com/n....html - Cached - Similar pages -

EDIT NOTE #1: RE: Sale price of SAAB - I have based it on the bankruptcy amount published for Hummer and added $200 billion as Saab's assets are greater then Hummer. Volvo is listed at $2b so $700 m is a pretty close amount. Maybe I could revise it to $825 million max. Yeah I'll go between $700 and $825 million.

EDIT NOTE #2: "According to Saab administrator Guy Lofalk, each of the bidders has signed on to Saab's plan for reconstructing the debt-laden automaker, which include moving the manufacturing site for the new Saab 9-5 to the plant in Trollhättan in western Sweden."

"In the coming days, Lofalk hopes to convince Saab's 700 creditors to write down 75 percent of the company's 10.6 billion kronor in debt ($1.4 billion)."

Modified by stev vanveit at 12:23 PM 6-5-2009

#17 ·
Re: (VolvoMax)

How long until a true Koenigsegg designed and engineered SAAB will hit the market (3 years)? This could be fantastic - just don't know if it will be financially successful. I'll certainly test drive one.

#18 ·
Re: (DCPattie)

Quote, originally posted by DCPattie »
How long until a true Koenigsegg designed and engineered SAAB will hit the market (3 years)? This could be fantastic - just don't know if it will be financially successful. I'll certainly test drive one.

Depends on how much Koenigsegg wants to spend on R&D. Future SAAB's are likely to remain FWD or AWD. Doubtless K-Segg can help w/ driveability even so. I'd say 3 yrs is the minimum time for a totally new SAAB.

#22 ·
Re: (Shomare)

Quote, originally posted by Shomare »
Sounds as if its official today.
Yep, we may see some REAL FAST Saabs in the future!

#25 ·
Re: (Sweded)

Frankly, I am stunned at this news.

How can an extremely small, exotic car manufacturer like Koenigsegg (who has maybe built 40 cars) possibly take on something like this; simply from a financial standpoint? They don't even have the capital to cover the paltry $600 million...unless they are now bankrolled by some oil rich Saudi prince (which could very well be the case).

There is more to this story...

#26 ·
Re: (thesternowl)

Quote, originally posted by thesternowl »
How can an extremely small, exotic car manufacturer like Koenigsegg (who has maybe built 40 cars) possibly take on something like this; simply from a financial standpoint?

SAAB is not being bought by Koenigesegg Automotive AB, but rather by Koenigsegg Group, a newly formed company. The name is primarily a front to put an attractive face on the deal. The owners include Koenigesegg Automotive, Christian von Koeningsegg's firm Alpraaz ABm Norwegian Bård Eker's company Eker Group, and American investor Mark Bishop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.