SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just a quick intro here, as I recently picked up a 240 wagon, and am quite thrilled. I've wanted one for a long long time, but finally found a local 5spd at a price I couldn't pass up, and decided to join the cool people club.

She (I've named her Svea) is a '92 240 DL, with 183k on the clock. Upon purchase I found all the service records dating all the way back to the original invoice from 1992! It even has the 3rd row jump seat in the back.

I am currently going down a list of quirks that need addressing, and fixing various interior issues.

One random question: What is the small plunger on the very bottom right side of the instrument panel?
I just fixed the odometer (dirty motor, gear was fine) and swapped in a tachometer, and noticed there is an odd plunger that runs from the front of the instrument panel to the back of the speedometer. It seems to actuate a switch of some sort on the speedometer. I can't find this mentioned in any owners manual.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed, Mark.

Congrats on your new 245 - 5-speed with under 200k - rare indeed.

That plunger is the Service Engine Light Reset and you are lucky indeed as earlier cars required a reach behind the cluster to reset. This light is controlled by mileage and is not the same as the Check Engine Light.

George Dill

http://www.k-jet.org/documents/greenbooks/200-series/

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That now makes three newly acquired '92 245s on SS; maybe we should start a club? :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! It was a good find indeed, and I'm slowly going through a list of things getting it in fine form. Sadly, I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep it, as I'm moving to Alaska in a few months, and am not quite sure if it is up to the journey. . . 3,000 miles in winter sounds intimidating.
Time will tell!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M47 wobbly shifter cage - how much is too much?

So I started digging into my new-to-me '92 245, as one of the main issues was the shifter. Absolutely terrible feel - almost as if the shift lever was double jointed and spring loaded. Didn't really like going into 1st unless I went 2nd-1st, and was just generally way too sloppy. Pulled up the shift boot today and viola, issue very evident.
The shifter cage was seriously loose. Moving the shift lever would pivot the shifter cage almost 1" at the back. Looked underneath and it was obvious the bushings are completely shot on the top bolts. Bottom ones still look okay, but the top ones have completely disintegrated and collapsed, leaving about 1/8" gap at the transmission.
As I'm still pretty new to the car so I didn't want to start ripping things apart yet. I found some rubber washers the right diameter and width so I cut them and slipped around the bolt where the bushing flanges used to be, giving about the right setback compared to the bottom. This instantly got rid of almost all of the shifter slop, and the cage moves about 1/4 what it did before. Obviously this isn't a permanent fix though.

So my questions are twofold:
1st - super basic question: Is it okay to change these bushings on the car without dropping or draining the trans? The four bolts are long, and seem to go all the way to the middle section of the trans case.

2nd - does the 240 shift cage on a M47 need these (very) soft rubber bushings, or can they be replaced with the 2-piece nylon ones (shown here: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6118/113486-shifter-linkage-bushing-m45-m46-m47), especially since this diagram (http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=235828 ) shows two different part #s for the bushings top to bottom. The soft rubber seems to induce quite a bit of wobble in the shift cage, but maybe this is for vibration damping?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again - I've got the rubber bushings on order, so I'll just go with that I guess...as long as this is something I can indeed do with the tranny on the car.

George - still got the Miata, and I love it dearly, but just isn't quite as practical as the 240. They are a complimentary combo though.

I'm in Missoula, MT right now.

Edit: Don't have the Bentley manual, but I have the Hanes, which seems to be comprehensive enough for now. I adjusted the reverse detent plate as per Hanes spec, and combined with a clutch cable adjustment it is shifting MUCH better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts