SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brochure indicates that the 2nd row has ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments. Does that mean that all seats of the 2nd row have the LATCH anchors? Or is it just the outboard seats that have the anchors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: LATCH, ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments in XC90 (crikey)

On the Swedish spec. XC90 it's the outboard seats that are fitted with the anchors.<br>This may vary on other markets.<br>

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: LATCH, ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments in XC90 (Bive)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>On the Swedish spec. XC90 it's the outboard seats that are fitted with the anchors.<br>This may vary on other markets.<br><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Just checked with Irvine, CA. Same goes for the US XC90s.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: LATCH, ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments in XC90 (GrecianVolvo)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>On the Swedish spec. XC90 it's the outboard seats that are fitted with the anchors.<br>This may vary on other markets.<p><br>Just checked with Irvine, CA. Same goes for the US XC90s.<p>Yannis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>I thought that manufacturers recommend that infant seats be installed in the center position because it is safer in the event of a side impact crash as well as to avoid air bag deployment. Am I correct? If so, why didn't Volvo put the anchors in the center seat in addition to the sides?<br>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: LATCH, ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments in XC90 (SteveD)

Same, exact concern here. I think manufacturers are just doing what is required, not what is needed. I do think, though, that Volvo, which is known to be safety-conscious, should have done what is needed over and above what is required. I mean, how much more would it cost to put 2 anchors in the center seating position? A bit disappointed here...<br><BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought that manufacturers recommend that infant seats be installed in the center position because it is safer in the event of a side impact crash as well as to avoid air bag deployment. Am I correct? If so, why didn't Volvo put the anchors in the center seat in addition to the sides?<br><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>
[Modified by crikey, 1:35 PM 10-1-2002]

·
Registered
18 Posts

While the absense of the LATCH system for the center position is disappointing, so long as I can install my son's infant seat in the middle using the traditional method (i.e. using the lap belt), it won't dissaude me from buying the vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>While the absense of the LATCH system for the center position is disappointing, so long as I can install my son's infant seat in the middle using the traditional method (i.e. using the lap belt), it won't dissaude me from buying the vehicle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>It is a minor point, but important, nonetheless. LATCH installs are more secure than seatbelt ones and manufacturers recommending a center seat install but not providing LATCH anchors for it is quite contradictory.

·
Registered
14 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought that manufacturers recommend that infant seats be installed in the center position because it is safer in the event of a side impact crash as well as to avoid air bag deployment. Am I correct? If so, why didn't Volvo put the anchors in the center seat in addition to the sides?<br><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Maybe this has something to do with the integrated booster seat that only can be fittet in the middle seat.<p>When it comes to placement of the child in the car there are a few various "philosofies". Some (major Swedish insurance companies, based on real-life data) say that the most secure place to put a child in the car is facing backwards, in the front passenger seat (no airbag!) making the seat rest on the dash (and indirectly the firewall). Personally I agree more with the ones recommending that the child is placed in the back seat, possibly in the middle, facing rearwards. The further away from crumple zones the better.<br>So in cars (5-seats) where the booster seat is optional Volvo should mount ISOFIX on the middle seat too.

·
Registered
18 Posts

As we get closer to purchasing one of the first XC90's, my wife is getting increasingly concerned about Volvo's placement of the LATCH system anchors in the second row (i.e. no anchors for the middle seat). It's a big enough issue to her that she is having second thoughts about buying the vehicle. <p>Can anyone answer the following questions related to this issue:<p>(1) does Volvo believe that it is safer to install an rear-facing infant seat next to a passener door (and side impact air bag) vs. the middle seat? If so, why?<p>(2) Do you think additional LATCH anchors for the middle seat can be installed by my dealer?<p>(3) Will any of the XC90's competitors (e.g. MDX, GX470, X5, M320) have LATCH anchors in the middle seat in the second row for model year 2003?<p>Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As we get closer to purchasing one of the first XC90's, my wife is getting increasingly concerned about Volvo's placement of the LATCH system anchors in the second row (i.e. no anchors for the middle seat). It's a big enough issue to her that she is having second thoughts about buying the vehicle. <p>Can anyone answer the following questions related to this issue:<p>(1) does Volvo believe that it is safer to install an rear-facing infant seat next to a passener door (and side impact air bag) vs. the middle seat? If so, why?<p>(2) Do you think additional LATCH anchors for the middle seat can be installed by my dealer?<p>(3) Will any of the XC90's competitors (e.g. MDX, GX470, X5, M320) have LATCH anchors in the middle seat in the second row for model year 2003?<p>Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p><A HREF="http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/LATCH/QandA.html" TARGET="_blank">NHTSA FAQ on LATCH</A>, see 5Q and 6Q of VEHICLE-RELATED QUESTIONS:<p><b>5Q. Why aren't LATCH lower anchors provided for the rear center seat?</b><p><i>A. Two pairs of LATCH lower anchors are required in the back seat of vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2002, and those anchors are required to be a specified distance apart for safety protection in a crash. Because of this required spacing between the lower anchorages, most vehicles do not have a rear seat that is wide enough to accommodate anchorages in the center seating position and in an adjacent outboard position. While lower anchorages are typically installed at outboard seating positions, most vehicles that have a center rear seating position without lower anchors also provide a top tether for additional safety benefit.</i><p><b>6Q. Can I use the two inboard lower anchors (of the outboard LATCH seating positions) to install my child seat in the rear center seating position?</b><p><i>A. No, unless both the child restraint manufacturer's instructions and the vehicle owner's manual specifically state that this is acceptable. A child restraint can be installed using the rear-center seat belt and, if forward-facing, the top tether anchor.</i><BR><BR>
[Modified by crikey, 4:03 PM 10-22-2002]

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thanks for the info Crikey. I would have preferred our federal government required the anchors for all of the seating positions and then provide a warning about securing two infant seats next to each other. That way, if you had only one infant seat, you could install it in the center seat. <p>I also find the following Q/A in the link interesting because it seems to ignore the issue of side impact airbags which can injure children riding in infant seat!<p>7Q. Where is the best place for my child to be positioned in the vehicle?<p>A. Children are always safest riding in the back seat. The best placement of a child safety seat is were it fits securely whether that is in the left, right, or center position.<p><br>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I also find the following Q/A in the link interesting because it seems to ignore the issue of side impact airbags which can injure children riding in infant seat!<p>7Q. Where is the best place for my child to be positioned in the vehicle?<p>A. Children are always safest riding in the back seat. The best placement of a child safety seat is were it fits securely whether that is in the left, right, or center position.<br><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Ditto on your observation.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

Steve,<p>I was at a Volvo XC90 training session yesterday and can confirm for you that thee Volvo XC90 IS0-FIX attachment is located only on the outboard second row seats. Additionally for your information there is not a rear seat airbag in the XC90. On the second and third rows of seating there are inflatable curtains that deploys downward not outward like a regular airbag. <p>The inflatable side curtain (IC) offers excellent head protection with a large area of coverage and virtually instant deployment from the area just above the windows. The IC is designed to slip between a passenger's head and the window to help prevent the passenger's head from making contact with the window.<p>As part of the Rollover Protection System, the XC90's inflatable side curtain is augmented two ways. First, it stays inflated longer so that, if a rollover occured, the protection would last throughout the rollover sequence. Second, the XC90's inflatable side curtain extends to the third row of passengers in the seven passenger configuration.<p>William<br>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: LATCH, ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments in XC90 (William)

William,<br>Thanks for the information. I just looked at my brochure again. You're right; there aren't any side air bags for the second row. While that does alleviate some of my concerns about placing a child seat next to the door, I still think it is safer to place it in the middle. <p>By effectively outlawing the placement of LATCH anchors for the center seat (by mandating two sets of anchors for the second row spaced far apart) I think that the Federal Government has not maximized the potential safety benefits of the LATCH system. In addition, it has forced parents to decided whether to: (1) use the LATCH system to install the infant seat in a less-than-ideal position (e.g. outboard seat) or, (2) install the infant seat in the ideal position (e.g. middle seat) using the less-than-ideal technique (e.g. conventional lap belt). This is very disappointing and I don't know which method I am going to use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: LATCH, ISO-FIX Baby/Child Seat Attachments in XC90 (William)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Steve,<p>I was at a Volvo XC90 training session yesterday and can confirm for you that thee Volvo XC90 IS0-FIX attachment is located only on the outboard second row seats. Additionally for your information there is not a rear seat airbag in the XC90. On the second and third rows of seating there are inflatable curtains that deploys downward not outward like a regular airbag. <p>The inflatable side curtain (IC) offers excellent head protection with a large area of coverage and virtually instant deployment from the area just above the windows. The IC is designed to slip between a passenger's head and the window to help prevent the passenger's head from making contact with the window.<p>As part of the Rollover Protection System, the XC90's inflatable side curtain is augmented two ways. First, it stays inflated longer so that, if a rollover occured, the protection would last throughout the rollover sequence. Second, the XC90's inflatable side curtain extends to the third row of passengers in the seven passenger configuration.<p>William<br><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Yup, William got this right. I forgot that the 2nd row does not have side-impact airbags.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>By effectively outlawing the placement of LATCH anchors for the center seat (by mandating two sets of anchors for the second row spaced far apart) I think that the Federal Government has not maximized the potential safety benefits of the LATCH system. In addition, it has forced parents to decided whether to: (1) use the LATCH system to install the infant seat in a less-than-ideal position (e.g. outboard seat) or, (2) install the infant seat in the ideal position (e.g. middle seat) using the less-than-ideal technique (e.g. conventional lap belt). This is very disappointing and I don't know which method I am going to use. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Steve, I'm not sure if there is a vehicle with LATCH anchors in the middle seat and I'm not sure if there will be, due to the reasons NHTSA stated in the FAQ. I'm also looking at the 2003 MDX and it also has no anchors in the middle seat.<p>While I agree with you that a middle seat anchor is highly recommended, I do not know if you can find a vehicle that has it. I think the safety of the XC90 'cocoon' would protect our little ones better than the other choices.<BR><BR>
[Modified by crikey, 5:02 PM 10-22-2002]

·
Registered
18 Posts

Crikey,<br>I agree with you that my 10-month old son is going to be safer in the XC90 than its competitors. I just don't know where I will put his seat. In addition to safety considerations in the event of a side impact crash, I like the seat installed in the middle so that I can see him better (using mirrors) and so that my wife can more easily attend to him while she is sitting in the front passenger seat (this is why Volvo's booster seat is in the middle). <p>Where are you going to install your child seat?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Where are you going to install your child seat? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>I have 15-month old twin infants -- a boy and a girl. They use the Britax Roundabout, which is currently rear-facing. Currently, they sit side-by-side -- one behind the driver and the other in the middle, while Mommy stays in the rear passenger-side to attend to them. The current babymobile is a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE that does not have LATCH anchors.<p>The Roundabouts that we have are not the LATCH ones. I am waiting to see if Britax is going to release their universal LATCH tethers for the Roundabouts. Most other car seat manufacturers have these universal LATCH tethers so I hope Britax comes out with one. If Britax does not come out with one, I have no choice but to use the seatbelts (or buy 2 new $250 car seats, that's gonna happen).<p>Once they become available and when I'm ready to buy an XC90 (or MDX), I will place the seats in the outboard positions. At that point, the twins might be old enough to have their seats forward-facing.<BR><BR>
[Modified by crikey, 5:35 PM 10-22-2002]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts