SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm specifically looking for the towing experiences from any 850 turbo or early model S70. Looking at my various options in for doing a fairly long distance move (1500miles) with the possibilities of using a 5x8 or 6x10 utility trailer (uhaul) towed behind my wagon. While I know the tow rating of the car (3300lb) and of the hitch (3500lbs) it would be great to hear some feedback from folks who have pulled larger, heavier trailers with these cars. <p>also any recommendation on electronic brake controllers ?<p>Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Largest Trailer Towed with a 850 T5, 97 or S70 turbo (junkycosmos)

Be careful towing over along distance with the turbo, long periods of use can overheat it and stress wouldn't be good for it. Better luck renting a moving truck.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
It depends on the maintenance condition of your vehicle, and your close adherance to 3rd gear at all times. I have successfully hauled a fully loaded 5x8 trailer estimated at 3000lbs; twice at 1,500 miles each trip. I cruised in 3rd gear the entire time, overdrive is your enemy. This was done over the Rocky Mountains and Cascades, and then south over the Sierras and Santa Ana mountains. The car has no trouble whatsoever climbing mountain passes as ample torque is available, I could accelerate on any grade. As for braking, no assistance is required if you maintain conservative braking distances and use engine loading. The car handles load better than most trucks on the road. Make sure you distribute the load properly so that tongue weight is kept to a minimum, about 200-250lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts