SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, need your help as I got 20" Cratus wheel and currently shopping for winter tires. I am considering 265/50/20 or 245/50/20 Nokian Hakk R, but my local tire store is so sure that 265/50/20 size will never ever fit my 2007 XC90 V8 R.

I have read somewhere in this forum that some people were able to fit 265/50/20 or even as big as 275/45/20 tires on their XC90 without rubbing issue.

I know Volvo factory recommended tire size for 20" is 255/45/20, but this size almost impossible (very limited options :mad:) to find in the market other than tire pirelli scorpion.

I would appreciate any inputs and guidance here.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you want a wide - wider - winter tire? It's only going to give you less traction.
I know, but that is what I currently have. I don't want to invest in new rims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm driving 265/45/20 as summer tires and 255/50/19 as winter tires.

Thing is, if you really want a non sliding car, imho the 19'' are too big. :( Hope this helps a bit, I really wouldn't do it. Every scratch in the bumper costs far more than new rims. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure where you are located exactly, but have a peek at Discount Tire / Tire Rack. You'd be surprised at what kind of rim-wheel combo you will find (smaller tire will cost much less). As well, taking tires off rims every season will cost probably $100+. You will pay for your new rims in two years of ownership, AND have MUCH better handling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your inputs. I believe the recommended wheel rolling diameter for the XC90 is 29". Hence here is my calculation for different tire sizes:

255/45/20: total rolling diameter =29.04" (Volvo factory recommended tire size for 20")
245/50/20: total rolling diameter =29.64"
265/50/20: total rolling diameter =30.42"
265/45/20: total rolling diameter = 29.4"

Based on the above, I guess either 245/50 or 265/45 are closed option to the factory tire. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
950 Posts
No need to guess, use 1010Tires.com tire size calculator.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know, but that is what I currently have. I don't want to invest in new rims.
Not tall, but wide. If you keep the 20" fine, but get the narrowest tire you can get; based on the post above that looks like a 245. Should also provide a bit more sidewall to deal with road frost.

·
Registered
648 Posts
with 18 inch factory wheels, I have 255/55/18 tires on it and it rubs ever so slightly at full lock. Not enough to ever make any noise, but just enough to make a small mark in the fender liner.

If you're driving in slushy or powdery snow that has not frozen and is loosely packed, you will want as narrow of a tire as possible to maximize contact PSI - pressure per square inch. It "cuts" through the slush and snow to make contact with the pavement below it, where the rubber compound can provide the highest friction possible with the pavement.

If the area you're driving in already has ice or highly compacted snow where you cannot see or touch the pavement, you will want as wide as possible to increase the available surface area that the rubber has contact with. In this scenario, having a narrow skinny tire will be useless because the tire compound will never touch pavement, and the reduced contact surface area will reduce total available traction. You want as wide as possible with an aggressive snow pattern tread with compound designed to work in cold weather. This is also the scenario where studded tires will be hugely beneficial.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got 275/45/r20's on mine without any rubbing that the previous owner of my 05 V8 had put on. Not saying they're recommended but they have worked great for us, sounds like that may be one of the largest people are running.

I'm getting new tires before the winter weather starts and am trying to decide on size/brand. Looks like I may be going a bit smaller after reading all this. I like the profile of the 275/45 so I may try the 255/50's instead... Thoughts?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ended up getting the Yokohama YK580's in 245/50 they aren't too different in profile than the 275 I had but much narrower so it'll be nice to have a little less width. So far they run smooth and quiet and with a 60k milage rating hopefully they'll last nice and long!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would anyone know if a 30.3 overall diameter tire fit on an xc90? my worries are the strut being in the way. Im looking to put a larger diameter tire on the 17 inch xc90 wheels

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I end up with Yokohama Parada 275/40/r20. I really like them they are very smooth and quiet with great traction in both dry and wet roads...highly recommended.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I personally would not recommend going over the 29.04" total rolling diameter

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I would agree. You would be getting really close to that spring seat and if anything gets caught up in there could be traumatic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts