SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the cargo divider and two dog gates and large dogs? All the pictures of the dog accessories are medium to small dogs, and I'm wondering if our two 80 pound Bernese Mt Dogs would be comfortable if we got the rear dog setup. Seems more roomy than the largest double dog crate, but can't really tell from looking at the dog gate opening if it's big enough. If anyone has larger dogs they carry in the back, please post some pics.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've got 2 80 pound labs and they ride comfortably in the back. With the 3rd down there is tons of room.

I don't use any divider or dog carrier so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone have the cargo divider and two dog gates and large dogs? All the pictures of the dog accessories are medium to small dogs, and I'm wondering if our two 80 pound Bernese Mt Dogs would be comfortable if we got the rear dog setup. Seems more roomy than the largest double dog crate, but can't really tell from looking at the dog gate opening if it's big enough. If anyone has larger dogs they carry in the back, please post some pics.
I do not have the vertical cargo divider, but I do have the horizontal cargo divider (goes behind the 2nd row seats). I fit my 135 lb. male Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and 115 lb. female Leonberger in the back together. They have plenty of room. Both are able to lie down, stand up, and move around. I bought the full cargo area protector. I then also bought a foam mat to put on top of it to protect the protector from tears and to give the dogs some more comfort. We regularly take 3 hour trips with them back there. I then bought a Thule bubble for any luggage. It's a great setup.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here you go! Two 95 lb German Sheperds. They go everywhere. No issues with both. They would not fit with the dividers and dog cage door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
why did you say they would not fit with the divider and the doors? I was thinking of getting the divider and two doors, one on each side, not putting both dogs on the same side. We have two Bernese Mt dogs, and they aren't known for their brains and we're worried about them trying to get out when the hatch is in transit up or down. Figured the door option would be nice to keep them contained while the hatch is in transit. Before we got the second dog we had the single in a car dog crate in the back of the GL350, but the double won't hold two large dogs without getting something huge like a suburban.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
why did you say they would not fit with the divider and the doors? I was thinking of getting the divider and two doors, one on each side, not putting both dogs on the same side.
Well it's a judgement call. It looks to me like it approximates a large size crate, and I prefer an XL. We take 8-10 hour trips and I prefer they can move around.

For shorter commutes the dividers and doors might be OK, but it looks to me that even turning around would be cramped.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here you go! Two 95 lb German Sheperds. They go everywhere. No issues with both. They would not fit with the dividers and dog cage door.
Thanks for the pictures. I have a golden and a golden/lab so it looks like they'll fit just fine.

What floor mat is that?

How easy is it to install and remove the barrier behind the second seat?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I have a golden and a golden/lab so it looks like they'll fit just fine.

What floor mat is that?

The quilted cargo cover can be bought here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCGT2D8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I ordered black large. I also have the Volvo mats under it which I recommend.

The gate is very easy to install. Take a few minutes, but no tools, and is stable and quiet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we're trying to decide between the XC90 and a Subaru outback as our second vehicle and primary dog car, so the room in the back is a driving factor. Both have OEM dog gates behind the second seat, which was a high priority. Most 3rd party items don't fit well or rattle like crazy. That's one of the reasons we got a dog crate for the GL, but now that we have a second dog they won't both fit in the crate inside the GL.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the divider and 1 dog door (right side), but I only stuff Cardigan Welsh Corgi's in my XC90 - not German Sheperds. I'm pretty sure you could get a Sheperd in there, but I don't think it would be very comfortable for the dog. A Bernese, however, uh, that REALLY seems uncomfortable. I think you'd probably be better served without the divider & door.

That said, the dog door/gate is VERY well made. I like it a lot. It's SUPER solid, actually has a pneumatic assist opener and it locks with a key. Although not recommended, the way it installs could enable this space to be used as a "semi-secure" storage area inside the car - for packages, etc.., because even if you break the back glass, you aren't easily getting inside (or dismantling) the locked gate unless you can open up the entire back hatch. It'll definitely put a wrinkle in plans for the Smash & Grab thugs. Also, the barrier, divider and door in my XC90 don't rattle a bit. Absolutely no noise (yet)...

The divider also keeps you from (easily) getting into the storage space under the cargo area, like where T8 owner's would normally store their portable charge cable. That kinda sucks, but it's not a deal breaker. Having only had the dog area components for a couple of days at this point, I can't decide if I'm going to leave it in there all the time, or take it out in favor of the larger space.

Also keep in mind that the steel divider that runs behind the back seats does NOT fold up like it does in the XC60, so it will have to be removed entirely if you want to use the 6 & 7th rear seats. You also can't have the retractable cover installed with the steel barrier in place, as it blocks access to the installation notches.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks. We had a similar configuration in our old Saab 9-5 wagon, a steel fixed behind the seat cargo area protector and a fore/aft divider that went in the middle. That did not have the door option. Now that I think about it we stopped using the divider after the second dog and just let the two of them free back there. I guess the divider is better suited to having cargo or luggage on the other side of the cargo area, not necessarily another dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do not have the vertical cargo divider, but I do have the horizontal cargo divider (goes behind the 2nd row seats). I fit my 135 lb. male Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and 115 lb. female Leonberger in the back together. They have plenty of room. Both are able to lie down, stand up, and move around. I bought the full cargo area protector. I then also bought a foam mat to put on top of it to protect the protector from tears and to give the dogs some more comfort. We regularly take 3 hour trips with them back there. I then bought a Thule bubble for any luggage. It's a great setup.
We have a 100 lb Leo in ours, also with the horizontal divider. She has plenty of room, much more than in our V70.

Also, last night I had a Togo's sandwich in the way-back with my two kids. So, that's about 300 lbs of people back there. We all fit OK.

-T

·
Registered
7 Posts

What floor mat is that?

We had a similar barrier in our V70 that was permanently fixed to the ceiling of the car and could fold down when needed. That design was AWESOME! This new one is a separate piece that snaps in on either side up top, and uses two thumb nuts with long "screws" to hold the bottom down. I would say that getting it in and out is a bit of a PITA, as you need to climb in the back, get the screws undone, and yank out the snaps up top. Then you are left with a large screen that needs to go somewhere along with a few small attachement pieces (the nuts and "screws"). Design is fine if you are messing with it occasionally, but I wouldn't want to put it in and out every day.

-T

·
Registered
478 Posts
For me, it would be in, day to day, but would be removed when I knew I needed to haul a bunch of people. It might work well enough for my use case.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fmfosnacht,

I have GDS too. She is 100lbs. What cover is that you are using to protect the floor and seats? It looks like it does not protect the sides, is that right? I was planning on ordering canvasback, as its the only product I know, but would like to compare with other products. Let me know your thoughts on what you are using.

By the way, how on earth are those mats so clean, I don't see a single hair on them! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fmfosnacht,

I have GDS too. She is 100lbs. What cover is that you are using to protect the floor and seats? It looks like it does not protect the sides, is that right? I was planning on ordering canvasback, as its the only product I know, but would like to compare with other products. Let me know your thoughts on what you are using.

By the way, how on earth are those mats so clean, I don't see a single hair on them! :)
I have the Volvo full cargo area cover. I did alot of research, and it was the best option IMO. It covers the back of the 2nd row up, has a bumper flap, and even covers up the sides of the rear area. I will snap some pictures of my setup when I get a chance today.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the Volvo full cargo area cover. I did alot of research, and it was the best option IMO. It covers the back of the 2nd row up, has a bumper flap, and even covers up the sides of the rear area. I will snap some pictures of my setup when I get a chance today.
Thanks bmwschnell, I'm looking forward to the pics. Would also appreciate a link to the product.

I have a few other questions, but they may be answered by the pics, so I will wait.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks bmwschnell, I'm looking forward to the pics. Would also appreciate a link to the product.

I have a few other questions, but they may be answered by the pics, so I will wait.

Thanks!
Here is the link to the Volvo part:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482422/2016

I did take some pictures, but I am unable to figure out how to upload them. I use the liner in conjunction with the cargo divider. The liner has zippers along the back of the 2nd row so that you can raise and lower seats 1 at a time. I also bought a floor mat from Uline (the spongy type used for standing work areas), and I cut it to size so that (1) the dogs nails didn't puncture the liner and (2) to make the floor more comfortable for longer trips. So far it has worked great!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The OEM dirt cover looks like a very good option. Our old MDX had a very similar thing and the custom fit up the second row seats as well as the sides of the cargo area was worth it. The only other competitor item I've used that I really liked was a hatchbag in our Saab wagon. It attaches to the sides with 3M velcro strips. The canvas back one is nice to be able to put up the third row seats, but the first time the dog throws up or has an accident you will probably wish you had a completely sealed floor cover. I've driven coast to coast 4 times now with dogs in the back of a wagon and there's always at least one incident.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts