SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm thinking of ordering a V90 T6 Inscription but was curious about the available space and if you have large dogs how does the vehicle work for you? I have a 2015 XC70 T6 which has 70 cu ft of space so there is ample room for my two Greyhounds. I'm concerned the 54 cu ft in the new V90/V90 CC might be an issue. The new design of the V90 looks great but few people buy wagons for looks, more the need for cargo space so was disappointed with the significant space reduction.

Thanks for your feedback. :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don’t have dogs myself, but I do own a V90CC. As I said in another thread where the OP was considering a V90CC vs an XC90, I wouldn’t confine my dogs (if I had them) to the space in a V90 trunk. I imagine they’d be very cramped there, especially if they’re large dogs (like greyhounds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t have dogs myself, but I do own a V90CC. As I said in another thread where the OP was considering a V90CC vs an XC90, I wouldn’t confine my dogs (if I had them) to the space in a V90 trunk. I imagine they’d be very cramped there, especially if they’re large dogs (like greyhounds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. I should have probably stated, even now in my XC70 I have the rear seats folded flat and put a blanket in there for them to lie on. As soon as the car starts to move they lie down and sleep.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought a V90 T6 Inscription with the specific intent of taking my two 70# dogs to NM and CO for hiking a few times a year. I'd ignore the 54 cu ft stat and focus more on the 72" x 42" solid flat floor, but recognizing that the V90 doesn't have the upright rear window as does your XC70. You should take a tape measure to the dealer, park next to a V90 and compare measurements. Better yet, if you test drive it and agree on a price, insist that they let you load your two in the back to check their fit before funding the purchase.

I've been hauling my dogs around in an Audi A4 wagon for the past nine years (after they stopped bringing the A6 to the US). With the V90, I'm considering adopting a third dog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have a 70-lb dog and we find the space to be more than ample for her. She has enough room to sit up, though she generally lies down and sleeps once we get moving.

We use a roof box on occasion if we're going on a big trip with our kid and the dog for extra cargo space, but for weekend getaways we have enough space for the kid, dog, and our cargo without it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dogs are not large(Cockers), but I used to have 2008 XC70 and now I have V90. I’m not concerned about height but floor space of cargo area seems bigger with rear seats up and is bigger for sure with seats down

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dogs are not large(Cockers), but I used to have 2008 XC70 and now I have V90. I’m not concerned about height but floor space of cargo area seems bigger with rear seats up and is bigger for sure with seats down
Awesome, thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I bought a V90 T6 Inscription with the specific intent of taking my two 70# dogs to NM and CO for hiking a few times a year. I'd ignore the 54 cu ft stat and focus more on the 72" x 42" solid flat floor, but recognizing that the V90 doesn't have the upright rear window as does your XC70. You should take a tape measure to the dealer, park next to a V90 and compare measurements. Better yet, if you test drive it and agree on a price, insist that they let you load your two in the back to check their fit before funding the purchase.

I've been hauling my dogs around in an Audi A4 wagon for the past nine years (after they stopped bringing the A6 to the US). With the V90, I'm considering adopting a third dog.
Thanks, good info which makes me feel better about dropping $60K :) My two are 84lbs (female) and 78 lbs (male). He is small for a male Greyhound.

I am planning on test driving a V90 R T5 tomorrow and going from there. It is unfortunately the only V90 available in the Austin area. I will be ordering one to get exactly what I want but I'm sure that also means no big discounts. I read earlier this year Volvo was offering several thousand in incentives but I'm wondering if that was for on-the-lot inventory versus orders.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have a 70-lb dog and we find the space to be more than ample for her. She has enough room to sit up, though she generally lies down and sleeps once we get moving.

We use a roof box on occasion if we're going on a big trip with our kid and the dog for extra cargo space, but for weekend getaways we have enough space for the kid, dog, and our cargo without it.
Awesome, appreciate the info. As others have stated, I should do some measurements comparison but it sounds like the size will not be an issue.

·
Registered
282 Posts
THOSE are some handsome doggies! Are they rescues (so many greyhounds are)? Good on you, if so! Regardless of weight, that breed takes up a whole lotta floor space. As you and others say, they lie down and go to sleep pretty quickly, so floor space, rather than head room, is most important IMO. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, the deals were generous last fall. Discounts started at $10k because Volvo was funding $7,500 of that. Volvo is now only offering $1k incentive on these. Maybe wait until fall this year if you hope same situation will come around, but with no assurance that it will. You may want to wait for the Austin dealers to get the redesigned and larger V60 in to see if your two fit comfortably in it (I'm guessing they will with back seats down).

If you go the V90 route, I'd recommend the rear window shade kit accessory. It offers the same mesh of the pull up shade for the second row of the T6 Inscription that form fits the back three windows of the cargo area. You may also want to have the back window tinted with ceramic heat-rejecting film by a local installer. Custom order non-CCs do not have tinted windows behind the front row as do CC versions.

Also, Volvo offers a protector for the cargo area that covers the floor and sides of cargo area (with pockets) as well as the back of the second row seats, and which splits where the seats split. It retails at $250 and is of a material that doesn't absorb moisture. Alternatively, DryMate offers a whelping box liner for $50 (depending on retailer), that provides a waterproof liner with a surface that absorbs moisture in a 100" length, so it covers the entire rear area with seats folded, plus folds out over the bumper to prevent toenail scratches, plus comes up 2-3" on either side. These are great for those times you have to load a dog after hiking the past few hours in rain and mud.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
THOSE are some handsome doggies! Are they rescues (so many greyhounds are)? Good on you, if so! Regardless of weight, that breed takes up a whole lotta floor space. As you and others say, they lie down and go to sleep pretty quickly, so floor space, rather than head room, is most important IMO. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, the deals were generous last fall. Discounts started at $10k because Volvo was funding $7,500 of that. Volvo is now only offering $1k incentive on these. Maybe wait until fall this year if you hope same situation will come around, but with no assurance that it will. You may want to wait for the Austin dealers to get the redesigned and larger V60 in to see if your two fit comfortably in it (I'm guessing they will with back seats down).

If you go the V90 route, I'd recommend the rear window shade kit accessory. It offers the same mesh of the pull up shade for the second row of the T6 Inscription that form fits the back three windows of the cargo area. You may also want to have the back window tinted with ceramic heat-rejecting film by a local installer. Custom order non-CCs do not have tinted windows behind the front row as do CC versions.

Also, Volvo offers a protector for the cargo area that covers the floor and sides of cargo area (with pockets) as well as the back of the second row seats, and which splits where the seats split. It retails at $250 and is of a material that doesn't absorb moisture. Alternatively, DryMate offers a whelping box liner for $50 (depending on retailer), that provides a waterproof liner with a surface that absorbs moisture in a 100" length, so it covers the entire rear area with seats folded, plus folds out over the bumper to prevent toenail scratches, plus comes up 2-3" on either side. These are great for those times you have to load a dog after hiking the past few hours in rain and mud.
Yes, they are both retired racing Greyhounds. We've had the female Sydney (fawn color) for almost seven years now, she is almost ten years old. Sammy (Brindle color) we've had for only three years, he is seven years old. We adopted him from a rescue in your neck of the woods in Richardson. These are our 3rd and 4th Greyhounds and absolutely love the breed. Super friendly and loving dogs who deserve much more than they get the first two to four years of their lives on the track.

Thanks for the discounts info, I'm in no rush so might as well wait until the fall. At that stage though I'd probably be ordering a 2020 because, if I remember correctly the Volvo plant shuts down in Aug then starts up with new model year production. I did look at the V60 but after building one out with my options the price difference was only about $5500 and for that I'd rather have the bigger vehicle. :)

Thanks for the protection mats/liners equipment, I'll certainly take a look. I've used Canvas Back Cargo Liners on my last several vehicles and they work great for around $200.

How are you liking your V90? My only hesitation is the 4 cylinder engine. Spec wise it produces good numbers but a 4 cylinder will never be as refined and smooth power delivery as a 6 cylinder. Especially, with my current 3.0 6 cylinder T6 engine with polestar is a beast when needed, otherwise smooth and refined. I will miss that motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice dogs ! I appreciate the question too, as I currently have a 2003 XC70 (in addition to an Acura MDX) that has dog hauling duties for two Goldens (100# and 80#). I think your hounds need more height, but I'm also taking care to inspect the cargo floor area too.

I'm on the lookout for 2017 or 2018 gently used loaded T6, since I know I'd be in the upper 60's for a new order. But that's why I'm "on the lookout" ... it could be months or years before I *need* to purchase.

There was a nice looking used 2017 in Houston ;-) too far for me (Minnesota).... Also..I want the Air Suspension for the pounds of gear and dogs we take... just my preference.

Good luck with your search... and thanks for asking the question. I learned some good stuff too.

--LP

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice dogs ! I appreciate the question too, as I currently have a 2003 XC70 (in addition to an Acura MDX) that has dog hauling duties for two Goldens (100# and 80#). I think your hounds need more height, but I'm also taking care to inspect the cargo floor area too.

I'm on the lookout for 2017 or 2018 gently used loaded T6, since I know I'd be in the upper 60's for a new order. But that's why I'm "on the lookout" ... it could be months or years before I *need* to purchase.

There was a nice looking used 2017 in Houston ;-) too far for me (Minnesota).... Also..I want the Air Suspension for the pounds of gear and dogs we take... just my preference.

Good luck with your search... and thanks for asking the question. I learned some good stuff too.

--LP
Glad someone else was also aided by my post. If you ever need someone to do an initial look at a car for you in central Texas let me know, be happy to help out. I'd make a motorcycle trip out of it :)

I've had a few Saab's along with my five Volvo's and I've been on the lookout for a 2004 - 2005 Saab Combi wagon in great shape with low miles as a second vehicle but either they're trashed or ones in good condition people are asking $10K plus for which is nuts considering they were mid $30K cars fifteen years ago.

·
Registered
282 Posts
...How are you liking your V90? My only hesitation is the 4 cylinder engine. Spec wise it produces good numbers but a 4 cylinder will never be as refined and smooth power delivery as a 6 cylinder. Especially, with my current 3.0 6 cylinder T6 engine with polestar is a beast when needed, otherwise smooth and refined. I will miss that motor.
I don't mind the 4 cylinder at all. I bought an A6 wagon twenty yrs ago with a 6 cylinder that was woefully inadequate in low end torque. Ten years ago, I traded it for the A4 wagon (Audi had discontinued A6 in US and enlarged A4) with a turbocharger. I missed the cargo and passenger room of the A6, but that 4 cylinder with turbo outperformed the 6 cylinder in every way. So I was already accepting of a 4 cylinder when shopping for V90. With the turbo plus supercharger, I feel I have adequate acceleration (though I'm not at all an aggressive driver). I do appreciate the mpg that the 4 cylinder delivers. I think that 'smooth and refined' can be a transmission matter and I'm happy with the V90's mechanics and software in that regard.

Plus, I wonder where in the heck in or around Austin can you even appreciate a powerful engine?! Every time I've been there on business over the past few years, I've had to add 50% of travel time to whatever it was the year before due to the explosive growth y'all have experienced with an already heavily taxed horribly inadequate road system. The effective speed limit on I-35 seems to be 45mph. I've never had a problem merging with whatever GM 4 cylinder rental car I was driving, lol. And I will NOT go there during SXSW!

·
Registered
37 Posts
We have a great dane, that fit’s perfect in the trunk of my v90. He’s even more relaxed there than in the mini-van of my wife.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't mind the 4 cylinder at all. I bought an A6 wagon twenty yrs ago with a 6 cylinder that was woefully inadequate in low end torque. Ten years ago, I traded it for the A4 wagon (Audi had discontinued A6 in US and enlarged A4) with a turbocharger. I missed the cargo and passenger room of the A6, but that 4 cylinder with turbo outperformed the 6 cylinder in every way. So I was already accepting of a 4 cylinder when shopping for V90. With the turbo plus supercharger, I feel I have adequate acceleration (though I'm not at all an aggressive driver). I do appreciate the mpg that the 4 cylinder delivers. I think that 'smooth and refined' can be a transmission matter and I'm happy with the V90's mechanics and software in that regard.

Plus, I wonder where in the heck in or around Austin can you even appreciate a powerful engine?! Every time I've been there on business over the past few years, I've had to add 50% of travel time to whatever it was the year before due to the explosive growth y'all have experienced with an already heavily taxed horribly inadequate road system. The effective speed limit on I-35 seems to be 45mph. I've never had a problem merging with whatever GM 4 cylinder rental car I was driving, lol. And I will NOT go there during SXSW!
Thanks for the feedback on the engine. Ahhh, I guess you never used I130 toll highway where the speed limit ranges between 80mph and 85mph, where one can typically cruise at 90mph without police interference :) I avoid I35 like the plague, it as you stated is a parking lot half the time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have a great dane, that fit’s perfect in the trunk of my v90. He’s even more relaxed there than in the mini-van of my wife.
THAT is a BIG dog LOL! He is beautiful.

·
Registered
279 Posts
How are you liking your V90? My only hesitation is the 4 cylinder engine. Spec wise it produces good numbers but a 4 cylinder will never be as refined and smooth power delivery as a 6 cylinder. Especially, with my current 3.0 6 cylinder T6 engine with polestar is a beast when needed, otherwise smooth and refined. I will miss that motor.
My experience with this issue was very much the opposite of @aardvarkbark's and in the end is why I traded my 2018 T6 V90 CC in. The 4 is in many ways a marvel of engineering at 300+ hp and lb-ft (with P*), pushing a very large vehicle around, with pretty good mileage, and decent 0-60 times. However, to me it highlighted the difference between a spec sheet and a user experience. I also think the platform is held back by the transmission programming which, despite some improvements in the form of software updates, was still not very good. To me, the overall driving experience was sub par despite positively 'ticking boxes' in many objective ways.

And, I absolutely loved the way the car looks (mine was white with the luxury package so no dark cladding), loved the utility, loved the rarity, loved the mileage for the size, even enjoyed Sensus which apparently got better (faster) with later MY hardware. But I couldn't get around to loving the overall package.

I would strongly suggest doing everything in your power to take a long, varied test drive. Over a weekend if at all possible. In as many different road conditions as you can - twisties in the hills, stop and go traffic, highway cruising, the works. Drive in Normal mode, drive in Sport mode. You may not notice the same shortcomings I did, or you may not care about them, and/or the many positives will outweigh them for you. But better to know in advance if at all possible.

As for dogs (yours are beautiful!) I toted my 45 pound Aussie in the back all the time. Not a great comp, but she had plenty of space without me having to fold the back seats down. If your plan is to fold the seats then I think yours will be fine though for sure won't be able to stand up straight!

Good luck regardless. It may be the car for you even if it wasn't the car for me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My experience with this issue was very much the opposite of @aardvarkbark's and in the end is why I traded my 2018 T6 V90 CC in. The 4 is in many ways a marvel of engineering at 300+ hp and lb-ft (with P*), pushing a very large vehicle around, with pretty good mileage, and decent 0-60 times. However, to me it highlighted the difference between a spec sheet and a user experience. I also think the platform is held back by the transmission programming which, despite some improvements in the form of software updates, was still not very good. To me, the overall driving experience was sub par despite positively 'ticking boxes' in many objective ways.

And, I absolutely loved the way the car looks (mine was white with the luxury package so no dark cladding), loved the utility, loved the rarity, loved the mileage for the size, even enjoyed Sensus which apparently got better (faster) with later MY hardware. But I couldn't get around to loving the overall package.

I would strongly suggest doing everything in your power to take a long, varied test drive. Over a weekend if at all possible. In as many different road conditions as you can - twisties in the hills, stop and go traffic, highway cruising, the works. Drive in Normal mode, drive in Sport mode. You may not notice the same shortcomings I did, or you may not care about them, and/or the many positives will outweigh them for you. But better to know in advance if at all possible.

As for dogs (yours are beautiful!) I toted my 45 pound Aussie in the back all the time. Not a great comp, but she had plenty of space without me having to fold the back seats down. If your plan is to fold the seats then I think yours will be fine though for sure won't be able to stand up straight!

Good luck regardless. It may be the car for you even if it wasn't the car for me.
Thanks for that info, as you eluded, enjoyment is highly subjective to each individual. I will take your advice though and try and get at least a 24 hour test drive if not longer. I guess my hesitation regarding the 4 cylinder engine stems from when I was XC70 shopping and test drove the 4 cylinder E-drive engine in the XC70. I hated that engine as it was noisy but never moved the car. I then test drove the XC70 T6 and that engine sold me on the vehicle.

What vehicle did you purchase to replace the V90 CC? I've looked at and liked the MB E450 wagon but a comparably equipped E450 is at least $10K more then a well equipped V90 T6.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts