1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
link?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yeah, i guess i could have searched, thanks.

Wouldn't city safety detect an animal? Wonder what is different about that system. I remember reading in the manual that specific images/contours of bikers was used for correlation, wonder if they have animal outline contours stored in memory? IR would be a better process but much more costly.

If they're using contour maps of typical animal shapes along with radar data, it might be possible to retrofit this to xc90. This is more likely as they need very little innovation to pull this off but take credit for it via a headline.

If they use additional equipment such as IR sensors, then probably not. This is much less likely because I don't see the sensor array being different than the xc90 for modularity's sake.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Wouldn't city safety detect an animal? Wonder what is different about that system. I remember reading in the manual that specific images/contours of bikers was used for correlation, wonder if they have animal outline contours stored in memory? IR would be a better process but much more costly.
The city safety system that is out currently doesn't have animal detection from what we've been told on the forums in that past.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
see my post again, made edits.

I did some work on this topic in school, detection/segmentation/representation/classification using visual images only, fascinating stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I remember some time back Conradi mentioning something about those small led looking aesthetic dimples in the headlight housing possibly being IR illuminators down the road. Coupled with what you say, I wonder if it would be more than just a software update to add animal detection.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
yeah, i guess i could have searched, thanks.

If they're using contour maps of typical animal shapes along with radar data, it might be possible to retrofit this to xc90. This is more likely as they need very little innovation to pull this off but take credit for it via a headline.

If they use additional equipment such as IR sensors, then probably not. This is much less likely because I don't see the sensor array being different than the xc90 for modularity's sake.
No IR sensors. The pedestrian/cyclist detection technology in Volvos is a function where radar technology along with tens of thousands of images programmed into the camera work together to identify a pedestrian/cyclist shape and give the warning plus auto brake (if needed).

It will be similar with the larger animal detection.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
No IR sensors. The pedestrian/cyclist detection technology in Volvos is a function where radar technology along with tens of thousands of images programmed into the camera work together to identify a pedestrian/cyclist shape and give the warning plus auto brake (if needed).

It will be similar with the larger animal detection.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Processing capacity on XC90 should handle the extra images, but perhaps not?

Processing/comparing imagery for correlation can be very computationally expensive, but is linear to the number of images, so if xc90 has enough capacity for this, then should be do-able.

·
Registered
386 Posts
An acquaintance of mine just hit some cows in his new XC90. He was traveling at night and they were in the middle of the road. Maybe they need to program images of US cows into the system.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Wow, how did the cow's come out of that situation? Was his car totaled?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Wow, how did the cow's come out of that situation? Was his car totaled?
I would definitely had a cow if that had happened to me...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well - to come clean, I was the owner of the Volvo that had a run in with the cow. The car, as far as I know, did nothing to indicate there was beef afoot. Fortunately, I just clipped the cow doing minor damage to the vehicle. The most expensive bit was a busted headlight, to the tune of about $1,500. It also put a tiny wrinkle in the fender, which had to be completely replaced because aluminum is not tremendously amenable to correction. Black cows on a dark night on a sparsely traveled road is a recipe for disaster. I was just very thankful I didn't hit one of the bovine dead center.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Glad you and the vehicle are ok.

How did the cow fare?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd be happy if it it just worked with bikes like it's supposed to before I worry about animals. I bumped into one that darted in front of me with no response from the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yeah, glad to hear you're ok.

Use of visible light imaging has its drawbacks as presented here. This is a good first step by Volvo though, akin to the use of imaging for first BLIS products then radar units became available which are basically 100% accurate (however still some implementation details that must be worked out) for almost any situation.

For truly accurate animal/bicyclists detection, IR imaging is required. That's expensive, radar technology is surprisingly much more simple and less expensive than accurate IR imaging.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'd be happy if it it just worked with bikes like it's supposed to before I worry about animals. I bumped into one that darted in front of me with no response from the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And yet my City Safety clamped down on my premature garage entrance one day as I was trying to get home in a hurry.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How did the cow fare?
Not sure. He didn't stick around to be interviewed. Actually, it was a bit of a mystery. There were 10-20 cows in the road. I managed to avoid all but one. Once I tenderized the rear of one of them, they all huddled in the ditch and collectively decided it would be best if they fled the scene. Seriously, a couple of local farmers came out to locate the cattle and they were no where to be found. Eventually, the farmer with the offending cow came forward and my insurance company is working with them to collect the expenses related to the damage.

Without question, the cow at least a very sore rump. It was still very capable of moving about on its own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts