SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We were coming home on the interstate in our 1 month old Inscription tonight and noticed something really cool! I had the the cruise set at 73mph and the car kept us between the lines without any assistance from me. I had originally thought that the lane assist feature wouldn't work over 30mph but I guess it does! I had heard on this forum that the S90 would do this up to 80mph and thought it would be nice if the XC90 could do this...well apparently it does!!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
LKA is supposed to work at highway speed. Pilot Assist only works below 30mph, and can follow front car instead of relying on lane marks.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so the pilot assist only works up to 30mph. I guess the S90 will go up to 80mph with the pilot assist, thanks for clearing that up for me GoVolvo! I thought maybe I was really on to something great for the others to look forward to...now just feel like I jumped the gun!

·
Registered
98 Posts
LKA definitively works at highway speeds. Rather I sense that it does not work below a certain speed without engaging pilot assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
We were coming home on the interstate in our 1 month old Inscription tonight and noticed something really cool! I had the the cruise set at 73mph and the car kept us between the lines without any assistance from me. I had originally thought that the lane assist feature wouldn't work over 30mph but I guess it does! I had heard on this forum that the S90 would do this up to 80mph and thought it would be nice if the XC90 could do this...well apparently it does!!
They are two different features. LKA will work at any speed as long as visual conditions are fine. It doesn't require a car to follow. However, it does not keep you centered in the lane unless you happen to be on a straight road. It will gradually drift toward either side of the lane with any imperfect conditions and then correct when you are at the line. If there are curves in the road it will "bounce" you a bit from side to side as it corrects. It is not intended for hands-free use -- it is intended to help you correct during steering. LKA is automatically engaged unless you deselect it in the settings.

Pilot Assist is full automated steering. It keeps you roughly centered in the lane even during turns and is designed for hands-free use, though they will occasionally ask you to gently apply steering just to make sure you are alert and paying attention. But it requires a lot of conditions. You have to be traveling 30 MPH or below, you must have a car traveling in front of you for it to follow. You need to have clearly marked lines on the lanes on both sides. You have to have decent visibility and weather conditions, you need space outside on either line on either side (i.e. if there are walls, etc. it won't work). And it is manually engaged just like Adaptive Cruise Control.

·
Registered
152 Posts
been through this before: Can you film a continuous youtube or something about your experience in a straight nicely marked highway, and commenting and distances between the two lines? if possible, would be fantastic. All what I saw so far mainly teasing twisting curves which does not really tell how the LKA react in stretch of highway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Citivas,
Thanks for clearing everything up and I hope your new XC90 is finally performing like you want it to. I appreciate all of your earlier posts and what you were experiencing from the start. We just received our Inscription on 11/25 and everything seems to be performing normally so far. Sorry to hear about your flat tire situation as well, but glad you were taken care of in a timely fashion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts