SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so my car is at a buddies shop with a lineup of parts ready to go on. I am only being charged labor, and part price only for an inner front right tie rod because I bought all the other parts ahead of time. I am looking to see how accurate his quote is for the labor before he gets going on everything what would you expect the quote to be? Here is everything I am having done;

1. front IPD hd spring seats
2. front strut mounts
3. passenger side engine mount
4. bottom front and back engine mounts
5. haldex fluid flush/refill
6. haldex filter
7. unmount old 4 tires and mount 4 new snow tires.
8. front ipd hd sway bar end links
8. (part and labor) pass side front inner tie rod

·
Registered
550 Posts
Most places go by BOOK time unless some items can be combined. So whatever the book says TIMES thier labor per hour. My dealer is $140 per hour. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight, yeah he is an old friend from elementary so he is going the cheapest he can for me. He is going by the book as far as I know and the engine mounts will take the longest at about 5 hours each according to the book. Hopefully some of the suspension stuff will be done at the same time and maybe it will be cheaper. Anyways the damage for me will be about $1300 for everything he told me. And anyone else it would be more around $1500-1600. Posted because I was wondering if anyone else had similar work done and what their average labor price was.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Of the stuff you listed, the spring seats and strut mounts can be combined (they're in roughly the same place and the spring/strut has to come down to get to them).

You should take a crack at doing some of those things yourself. Builds character ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to work on this stuff myself.. But with a full time job and coaching a swim/dive team everyday till late theres just not enough time in the day.. Or the tools I need in my garage. I will do the little things, but engine mounts and taking out the strut/ spring assembly is a bit out of my ability range.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Have you considered buying a second set of wheels to use for winter tires? I found a used set of four wheels for little money. $60 to mount & balance a set of four tires, buying a winter set of wheels pays for itself rather quickly. Additionally, you can swap summer/winter tires at your convenience rather than scheduling a tire shop. Check post #40 in my thread in my signature.

Tire Rack has a couple choices for new wheels at <$110 each.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you considered buying a second set of wheels to use for winter tires? I found a used set of four wheels for little money. $60 to mount & balance a set of four tires, buying a winter set of wheels pays for itself rather quickly. Additionally, you can swap summer/winter tires at your convenience rather than scheduling a tire shop. Check post #40 in my thread in my signature.

Tire Rack has a couple choices for new wheels at <$110 each.
I have thought about that and I will probably buy a nice set of summer tires on a new set of rims in the spring, my old tires were about shot anyways so it had to be done this first time since I got the car 7 months ago.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
^Sounds like a good plan.

What have you been shopping for summer tires?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing in particular yet, Ill think about that after I get my winter tires on and all situated first lol. I got these michelin PA3's for a great deal on craigs, I will probably see whats out there and what the best thing at the time is.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hi all, so my car is at a buddies shop with a lineup of parts ready to go on. I am only being charged labor, and part price only for an inner front right tie rod because I bought all the other parts ahead of time. I am looking to see how accurate his quote is for the labor before he gets going on everything what would you expect the quote to be? Here is everything I am having done;

1. front IPD hd spring seats
2. front strut mounts
3. passenger side engine mount
4. bottom front and back engine mounts
5. haldex fluid flush/refill
6. haldex filter
8. front ipd hd sway bar end links
8. (part and labor) pass side front inner tie rod
All this is from ALLDATA Time guide
1. Labor for replacing front struts, both 2.4hrs
2. Included in 1.
3. Passenger engine mount 1.4hrs
4. Front Engine mount 1.1hrs , rear engine mount 1.8hrs
5. Replace Differential Fluid .5hs
6. No specific time. Diff Temp sensor replace is .6hs. I don't know if the filter is more.
7. 4hrs per tire
8. Both Front sway bar end links .8hrs, should be less since they have to be unbolted from struts

·
Registered
438 Posts
so a bit over $100 an hour it seems. Like $120 Oceeans?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
In Charlotte, NC our shop is $90 an hour. Probably going to $95 soon.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Did you type that incorrectly? 16 hours sounds a bit excessive. Last time I bought a set of tires the shop had me in and out in about 45 minutes.
Looks like decimal missing. .4hrs would be what I meant. 1.6hrs for 4 tires. I would love to get paid 4hrs per tire but in reality I don't think I would have many customers if that were the case. At my shop we charge .5hrs per tire (lots of run flats on BMW's) but our labor rate for tires is $53 per hour and that is mount and balance. BMW dealer was .4hrs. Volvo Dealer was .3hrs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts