SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys on KWs had issues with ride height? The pic below shows where I'm at. The alignment place is saying that it needs to be a minimum of 1 inch higher in the front and 2 inches higher in the back according to KW. They also said the front is riding on bump stops.

·
Registered
535 Posts
1. Have you measured to make sure the car is sitting level, or just a LITTLE lower up front?

2. Personal opinion here, so take it as that, but that is too low. If your lower control arms are at acute angles then you're too low. My general principle when lowering most cars is to keep the lower control arms as close to parallel to the ground as possible. In most cases when you go past that point lowering a car you start doing some stupid things to the suspension geometry and the car doesn't handle worth a **** anymore since the suspension (control arms, busings, etc) were not designed to even see these steep angles you have now placed them at permanently.

3. If you're hellbent on keeping it at the ride height it is now at invest in a bump to bumper skid plate, or slap some 18" wheels on it so it raises it back up a bit.

Overlowering a car should be a sin :)

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Looks like yours is only sitting about half an inch lower than mine...

Unfortunately this is the best shot I have of it.

I can grab a side on shot. What's your actual ride height? I think I dropped mine by an inch around.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll bring it up some. It doesn't seem that low to me but I don't want to burn through axles, etc. knowing the cost. I did only lower the front about 1.5" and KWs site shows up to 2.5" so that is a little surprising. The back was definitely down at least 2.5" to get rid of the rake though. Also, it is a performance alignment shop that does mostly track cars, etc. so I guess I better listen lol. 18's are in the plans but it will be a while.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like yours is only sitting about half an inch lower than mine...

Unfortunately this is the best shot I have of it.

I can grab a side on shot. What's your actual ride height? I think I dropped mine by an inch around.
I am not able to view the picture for some reason but I am curious to see it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about now? I used the wrong link haha.
Yes, looks great man. Your larger wheels definitely help the look. They raised mine about 3/4" so I have a 1 finger gap now where before I was about even. It seems to ride the same as it did before they raised it so we'll see if I can do the right thing and leave it where it is... Has anyone else who is lowered had axle or lca bushing issues?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
How is the paint holding up on those? That is a very good price.
I'm not a great user to ask for this experience since the VR sees so little mileage (maybe 2k miles since I installed the wheels?), but it has made a couple long highway road trips, gone down some rural back roads, and local to and from work trips since installed and I've got absolutely nothing negative to report about them. I just cleaned them the other day and didn't see anything unusual. Overall, I'm quite happy with them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mines about that low, maybe a little lower in the rear. Zero problems with anything. Take it to a different alignment shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am probably lower than most if not all here, and I've had zero issues due to lowering. I have near 10k miles on my coilovers as well.
Mines about that low, maybe a little lower in the rear. Zero problems with anything. Take it to a different alignment shop.
Thanks guys, good to hear.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Beautiful VR OP...

Take your car to an alignment shop that knows what they're talking about.
My car was slammed on V2's... never had an issue.

All I had to do was trim the bump stops in the rear.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Have any of you guys on KWs had issues with ride height? The pic below shows where I'm at. The alignment place is saying that it needs to be a minimum of 1 inch higher in the front and 2 inches higher in the back according to KW. They also said the front is riding on bump stops.
I know you're getting plenty of advice. I just wanted to add my 0.02cents. I run KW v2 Coilovers and have experimented with a number of ride heights and alignment specs. There is physically no way to set the rear alignment within a reasonable range if you slam it. And even if you buy the IPD Cambered bushings you can only remove about a degree and a half. Slamming puts you down close to -2.5degrees. Do the math.

As for the front. Just tuck your head under and look. You are either on the bumper or your not. There's no need for guessing. You need about 1.5" of travel in the front suspension in order for your car not to be dangerous at speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts