SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I'm running a set of the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's (215/45x17) on my '96 850R. I purchased this 850R in Sept. and at the time had a new set of the Kumho's...since the purchase in Sept. I've had two flats and had to replace these two tires.

Coincidence, or Kumho problem??

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: Kumho tires (854R)

IMHO I think it is hard to fault a tire if they go flat unless they have some kind of manufacturing defect. What kind flat did you get ?? Was it a puncture on the tread or a gash on the sidewall ??? God Bless. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
4,395 Posts

I have had my 850R for a few months also, and it came with two new Kumho's and two of the stock tires. They have been fine for the last few months for me and they are cheap, so I ordered 2 more this week, they should be here tomorrow.

I will let you know if I have any problems with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
kaizai

patrick here (n.c.)

do you have any alignment problems with your car? i am having suspension noise in the front. i got my 850r in august and enjoy it. my car pulls really bad to one side. i wonder if this will be a frequent problem. the suspension is almost too stiff, especially in cold weather.

thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: kaizai (PATRICK)

Patrick...no alignment problems for me. I do have a squeaky noise that the shop really couldn't diagnos. I thought it'd go away when I switched suspension but no luck. They tightened everything up but some squeak is still there.

By the way, got my new Kumho and am back on the road! First flat was a valve stem & then this 2nd was a tack in the road.

Good luck....thanks, Brett

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: kaizai (854R)

I don't think any tire could be at fault for a valve stem as it isn't even touching the tire.

And a tack or nail, unless you had those nailproof firestone's, that would go through anything else too.

If you had a blowout, bubble on the sidewall, faulty seat or any other tire problems then you could question Kumho, but not for the two that you got.

I might look at their new MX (?) when summer rolls around.

[Modified by Red Rocket, 4:54 PM 12-7-2002]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: kaizai (Red Rocket)

Pirelli P-Zero all the way................

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: kaizai (TurboR850)

I've been using Kumho 712's for almost 10K miles on my 240. I've had one go flat twice, but it's entirely my fault because I'm still using a bent wheel. The bend was bad enough that when holding air, I could push on the sidewall and make it leak. http://********************/smile/emsmileo.gif

The last time I pulled them off to put on different wheel, I noticed one had a screw and one had a small nail/tack. Neither had lost any pressure, so I was surprised. I had the large screw pulled and plugged, but the nail doesn't have a head and it's flush with the tire so I'm leaving it alone for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: kaizai (PATRICK)

Patrick,

Check your upper strut mounts. They are rubber and tend to break

·
Registered
136 Posts

I've had Kumho 205/45 17s on my R saloon and they were fine as far as puncture resistance was concerned, but frankly dramatically outclassed by the present tyres which are Michelin Pilot Sports.

These give more grip, better wear, less noise and are still leech like even quite worn down and on greasy winter roads.

The only problem is that they're twice the price, but at least I'm getting what I pay for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts