SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I bring to the table this very clean example of a 2010 S40 T5 AWD R-Design that I sort of... bought on a whim to be honest. No really, I have no idea why I suddenly went out and bought it, but the price was good and it matched a lot of the criteria I was looking for in my next gen daily driver.

I picked up the Barents Blue Beauty for only $13,000 with 80k miles on the clock. The car is very clean in and out except for a few minor scuffs and a single door-ding. I actually had no idea I would end up buying an S40 until a last minute decision came across. For years I have been searching for the right car for me, but my checklist of features made it very very difficult.... I wanted something AWD, compact, sedan or hatch, sporty, turbo or other high output engine, great driver feel, and most important to me, stylish! Sadly, in the United States, there really wasn't a lot of cars that satisfied my tastes. A Subaru WRX would be the logical choice based on m list, but I just see too many of them around so they really aren't that unique to me. The S40, even though I barely acknowledged its existence until recently, pulled me in a bit quicker than I expected.

Sadly, most of the cars I really want to buy don't quite meet my criteria or simply are not sold in the U.S. For instance, if it were physically possible, I would go out and buy a brand new SEAT Leon Cupra today because I think it is a fabulous looking car and is seriously quick! But alas... that wonderful car will never be in my American grasp so I had to move on. The only thing I wasn't too keen on with the Volvo was the styling. It's not a bad looking car at all mind you, I just don't think it's the greatest. I LOVE the new S60 R-D but at the moment it is way out of my price range and for that kinda money I would see myself in a used Jaguar XFR honestly... Anyway, style being the only sacrifice, the S40 really was the perfect car for me in the end!

The HARDEST part about buying this Volvo was not really choosing whether or not i wanted the car (of course i did, i loved it 10 seconds into the first test drive!) But no, the hardest part is now I have to part with my beloved Honda Civic. It's time to say goodbye and retire my old daily driver. I LOVED my Civic. It was my first car. I poured tons of love and money into that car to really make it my own! The car earned me great respect and I have so many great memories with it! It disappointed me sometimes, but it really was a fantastic little car - I will be absolutely heartbroken when I sell it next month :(
Compared to the Volvo, the Honda got an impressive 11 more MPGs and the mechanical feel of the steering and brakes are hard to match. My Civic also had less miles on it, however they were some pretty tough inter-city miles whereas this S40 seems to be more like a highway baby.

Anyway, I TALK A LOT
So here's some pics of the Volvo. She is a pretty girl. Intelligence is sexy and Volvo understands this :thumbup:

Here is my old daily driver... a car that actually made me sorta locally famous and a well-respected member of the 7th Gen Civic community.
It will be sad to let her go, but the idea of having cash in my pocket is very appealing.

....And a little something extra, here is my project car! A 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI (Mitsubishi Starion). It's a total piece of junk and the project has been a nightmare so far but I love it!!!

You all seem like really nice and welcoming people here at Swedespeed and I look forward to meeting new people to share my love for cars and hopefully get my Volvo started int eh right direction! (You can bet I won't be leaving this thing stock for much longer!)

If you guys don't mind... I have a few newbie questions and requests. Yes I am very capable of searching and finding info for myself as I've been on many forums over the years, but I'm really eager to start into this new S40 and get to know it as best I can in a short amount of time! I would gladly appreciate insight on the following questions!! :)

1 - First of all, what do you guys like most about the S40, V50, C70, or C30? Volvo in general? I want to hear some positive words of encouragement that I bought the right kind of car!

2 - What is the general consesus about "Evolve / Elevate Performance?" They seem like a legit tuning company with lots of great specialty aftermarket parts for our vehicles, I'm just not sure how well respected they are in this community. Also I love for any suggestions of other great places to buy parts for these cars so I can start dreaming. If they check out well, I will be happily in debt in no time, LOL XD

3 - I believe I've already decided which wheels I want to go with. i want the new S60 R-Design "IXION" wheels in 19". If anyone has a set of these for sale or knows somewhere handy where i might be able to pickup a set at a decent price, i want them as soon as possible.

4 - The R-design swirled aluminum interior panels... I like them and they're really unique, but I don't think they're what I want... They blend into the black interior too much and they chip and dent really easily it appears... I think I would rather have the stock silver or maybe that light wood color. These panels are easy to change I assume? Is someone maybe willing to considering trading me for my R-Design panels?

5 - Reading through some threads, I see A LOT of debate on coilovers for the S40. Specifically it sounds like AWD is a bit tricky... Obviously if I'm going to squeeze 19" rims on there, I can't be going too low, but I want to hear if you guys have any AWD coilover recommendations. I have looked at KW, BC, Megan Racing, and ISC, but I'm not really sure what to expect from any of these given there are so many newer options for this car. What are you lowered guys running on your AWDs?

6 - I kinda want OEM mudguards because i love AWD cars and i love mudflaps, LOL However... will the OEM mudguards fit over the R-design trim package? I'm afraid the molded shape of the mudguards won't work. I might also consider a more rally look with silicone or rubber flaps, but I don't want to go drilling holes into my new car until I see all the options first.

7 - After 1 day of driving the car, i had my first error message "BLIS Service Required." I dunno if it's just my imagination but I think the lights kinda go haywire and flash when nothing is around me.... What causes this error? It happened after I hand washed my car the first time so I'm thinking maybe I smudged or bumped one of the cameras?

Anyway, sorry for practically writing a novel for my first ever Swedespeed post... I'm just really excited and I think I'm going to love this new car! I bought it as a stepping stone of sorts towards bigger and better cars, but I am no doubt going to enjoy the ride along the way with this Volvo!! I can't wait to get cracking and personalizing my new ride that is MUCH MUCH faster than my old Civic, LOL

I have plenty more I'd be excited to share with you guys and a lot of my personality has yet to show through, but I don't want to bore you with too much reading at the moment so I will spare you for now!

Have a nice day! :)
-Dylan
Nebraska, U.S.A.

·
Registered
388 Posts
To be honest I didn't read half of what you wrote. Nice car though and welcome. Why would you want to "squeeze" 19's on a compact awd sedan? There's only 4 options for awd coilovers. If you do a search you'll see my thread covering it not long ago. Good luck with your modding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I can honestly say I haven't seen enough pictures of S40s on certain wheel sizes to really know what I like best yet. It also depends on the style of the wheel. I tend to have a pretty good eye for visuals and personally I like compact stubby cars to have large and aggressive wheels that fill the wheel well space decently full.

There's been a picture floating around most people have seen of a white S40 on what he claims to be "20" Ixion wheels (do those come from the SUVs...?)" but it kinda looks like a good photoshop job, lol From this I kinda determined that 19" Ixions would look pretty decent with a mild ride height drop. RIght now I'm leaning towards ISC AWD coilovers. Stop me if that sounds like a mistake. :eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
1. One of the my favorite characteristics of my s40 is the fact that I rarely see others on the road. Today you see so many WRXs, Lancers, Civics, and Minis, but never really any Volvo sedans.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Our 06 s40 t5 awd is a lot of fun to drive. We just got it a few months ago with 33k on it. I can't wait for the snow. It's replacing an 08 vw jetta so it should be fun. I've got an xc90 and am picking up a 93 850 next week to mess with. Volvo's are an addiction, you can't have just one. Mainly because they break and the parts are so far away lol

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Welcome! Your desired wheels (ixions) are super hard to come by. I have been looking for a while now! A hot wheel, though.

If you want the aluminum interior trim, let me know - I would love your rd trim for our S40 (also Barents Blue).

Oh, and don't go any larger than 18" wheels - those are bad enough on ride comfort which you said you enjoyed from your other post, if I recall.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Welcome!
Here's a gallery thread with a lot of different wheel options.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?214429-Wheel-Gallery-Thread&highlight=wheel

And here's a white S40 with 20" Ixions. The Ixion wheels are really common here in and around Sweden and I think they're quite boring actually. I'd rather go for the Ixion V2 if I had to choose. To each their own of course! There are A LOT of replicas of them out there and you could easily get a set of 19" Ixions for like... $500, brand new. In Sweden that is. ;)

As far as the R-D pieces in the interior, I totally agree. They're nice for sure but they blend in too much. I didn't get a R-D from the start but have "converted" it to one on the outside with body parts and some parts for the interior. Thought of getting the R-D waterfall, door handles etc but I kinda like how the aluminum pops so I won't be getting those. That said, the aluminum also gets very easily dented! I'd imagine dents would be more easily spotted on the aluminum rather than the R-D parts though.

What I like about my car? (V50, same platform)
It's a fun car! Have in mind that I've got one of the smallest engines available for these cars but I still love it. Had lowering springs mounted and a bigger set of wheels (225/35/19) and it feels like a totally different car. Would love to swap it for a T5 but soon we need to get a bigger car so no more veefiddy but I promise to stay in the Volvo family! ;)
It feels secure (just have a look on the forum "Volvo saved my life" or something like that), quite amazing to see how these cars holds up during an accident while other brands are totalled.
Never regretted buying a P1! :)

Edit:
Oh, read your post again and saw that you wanted the Ixions from the new S60, Ixion V2 that is. My bad! :D

Edit 2:
Also! The OEM mudgards DOES NOT fit the R-D trims. There's no OEM solution for it either. Last year I bought a set of OEM trying to modify them to fit my R-D trims but I felt it would be easier to mold new ones, using the OEMs as a template. It's the same thing for V70II with R-D but since that trim isn't that "pointy" on the side skirts and rear skirt it's much easier and I've seen a few modify theirs.
That said, it's possible but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Depends on your skills. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Veefifty T5 AWD - Thanks, with the amount of new S60s I see around town I might even be able to source them locally. The difficulty will be knowing how to search for them because I doubt people even know that the wheels have a name, LOL. Also I never really said anything about ride comfort though it would be nice to have a bit smoother than my Civic which was pretty darn stiff... mind you I had steel reinforce tires on that car and lower-end TEIN coilovers that did not have a sleeve-body design for compensating the shocks. I don't really mind a rough ride as I'm very used to driving a lowered car already.

If you want my R-D trim pieces, i'd be more that happy to swap, but as I may or may not have noted, mine has a few small chips and miniature dents in some places. I'd like to have a silver set for a while and maybe eventually even take them off and custom paint my own panels. I'll let you know if I decide I want to trade them right away, as long as you understand they aren't 100% perfect at all

rentalcar - Thanks for the welcome! I will browse through those wheels and get some ideas.
I am familiar with that 20" Ixion S40. In fact it's one of the pictures that inspired me to get teh car. I think it looks great on those wheels (although 20 might be tad bit overkill, so I think I would be happy with 19s) That's really cool you can afford them so easily in Sweden, maybe I should have you send me a set ;) HAHA!

That's a shame the mudguards won't fit :( I really like mud flaps on little cars because I think it makes them look really aggressive and purposeful. Perhaps we can work together to develop a solution. If all else fails, I might end up buying silicone rally style flaps or rubber ones from some other kind of car / truck. After all am putting Isuzu Rodeo flaps on my Starion eventually, haha
I love rally cars if you can't already tell.... :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For summer yes, winter time the thing will look like an AWD beast. I like options.
For now I'm leaving most of the rally inspired themes for my Mitsubishi including a full livery.
The Volvo is going to be a more polished and clean show car look like My Civic was, only with the ability to go to some 17" wheels with rugged snow tires in the winter. Dual purpose fun car :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The cold and snowy weather has really put a damper on everything and I'm off to a slower start than expected with upgrades.
But I finally got my first one!
With my previous cars, the mod I've always found really satisfying is an upgraded beefier sway bar so I figure it was a safe place to start.
I went with the Elevate bar because it is the largest and the price isn't terrible compared to some Mazdaspeed ones.

I've installed many sway bars over the years, but I have NEVER had so much trouble with rusted/seized bolts like I did with this car!! :mad: And it seems like they had thread-lock adhesive on them as well from the manufacturer. I spent about two hours just getting the old bar off and a measly 2 minutes to throw on the new one... The pretty blue powdercoat is a bit of a contrast to the salty winter-coated underbody I must say, haha

The handling caught me by surprise. The rear is extremely stiff now. It almost makes the front feel sloppy and the whole car is very snappy and likes to turn sharply and kick out the rear. It will take some getting used to, but I'd much rather have aggressive handling than yucky sloppy nasty body roll! :p

Money well spent!
Next on the list is a Mototek intake. Then I think I will start planning my wheel/tire combo and get some ISC AWD-specific coilovers.... after that comes the fun stuff like exhaust, IC, and I'm going with a Shark tune because I live near their HQ
I'm really starting to fall in love with this car, despite a few drawbacks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah nice upgrade i have the same bar and had the same rust issue aswell when installing it. Give the underside of the car a good treatment after each winter or the rust will become much worse. That said nice looking car

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm aware, but I'm also in it for the look and the sound of it :)
When the mototec goes on sale again, it is actually cheaper than the Injen and K&N options, however is is a more closed system and has a carbon fiber heat shield.
The extra cash doesn't really bother me

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Save yourself the money on that intake and just get the over the engine pipe. The stock intakes are well made and you won't see much of a power increase.
What makes you say this? The only reason I ask is because when I got mine, the computer was taken out and zip tied to the side, the box covering the computer was not assembled all the way down (not to mention the bottom corners and places where the box covering the computer had broken off the bottom of the box and no matter what I did was sucking in unfiltered air anyways). Even with the seal put back in and the computer back together bolted to the box correctly, the computer's top edge didn't line up to seal the intake meaning even correctly assembled your engine is getting unfiltered air. I had to cut off the leftmost mount on the box to get it to go in/out of the bay without so much grumbling.

So, am I the only one that has all these issues or are the intake boxes really much better designed than an aftermarket setup?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome! I'm a newbie as well! My last car was a Honda as well, it will always hold a special place in my heart... My advice is to read through the stickies, they will definitely shed some light on some things you should check out right away (PCV) and give you some background on some issues that may creep up on you. Congrats on your new car, very nice indeed!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
welcome! nice car. I was surprised to see that much rust underneath though on a 6 year old car, especially those eccentric bolts on the subframe. No worries though, it should not be an issue. Just make sure you've got a torch and penetrating oil for suspension work... and collect some part numbers for replacing the bolts if they are bad.. You can find p/n at tascaparts.com
Any, looks really nice! I would limit wheel size to 18x8 though. 19's just look to big and wont fit well. 18 is perfect. Definitely find some coilovers versus springs alone so you can raise it up for winter. You could get a plate to protect the oil pan if you drop it more than an inch, but if you only go an inch, you should be alright. I recently drove off a small curb slowly and the first thing to hit the ground was the LCA where they mount to the frame, the pan isnt super low.
you can trust elevate parts to be quality and work as intended. But EST and viva are good places for better value. Sharkperformance.us for tunes is a good option. You can borrow my handheld, ill float it down the Platte to you lol. Dont forget about the rear upper adjustable control arms when you do suspension. SPC makes great arms and you can find them on amazon- pm me for a link if you need it. if you have any specific questions about any of the stuff i have listed in my signature or anything really, PM me and i'd be glad to give advice on parts or whatever. Enjoy your new car!

Edit: damn i just realized im late to this post by a few months haha. Oh well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
welcome! nice car. I was surprised to see that much rust underneath though on a 6 year old car, especially those eccentric bolts on the subframe. No worries though, it should not be an issue. Just make sure you've got a torch and penetrating oil for suspension work... and collect some part numbers for replacing the bolts if they are bad.. You can find p/n at tascaparts.com
Any, looks really nice! I would limit wheel size to 18x8 though. 19's just look to big and wont fit well. 18 is perfect. Definitely find some coilovers versus springs alone so you can raise it up for winter. You could get a plate to protect the oil pan if you drop it more than an inch, but if you only go an inch, you should be alright. I recently drove off a small curb slowly and the first thing to hit the ground was the LCA where they mount to the frame, the pan isnt super low.
you can trust elevate parts to be quality and work as intended. But EST and viva are good places for better value. Sharkperformance.us for tunes is a good option. You can borrow my handheld, ill float it down the Platte to you lol. Dont forget about the rear upper adjustable control arms when you do suspension. SPC makes great arms and you can find them on amazon- pm me for a link if you need it. if you have any specific questions about any of the stuff i have listed in my signature or anything really, PM me and i'd be glad to give advice on parts or whatever. Enjoy your new car!

Edit: damn i just realized im late to this post by a few months haha. Oh well.
Thanks!
The car does seem a little rusty and getting the old sway bar off was a major pain! I'm not looking forward to installing coilovers when the time comes... I'm remembering how difficult my Honda was and that was pretty much rust free when I did it. This Volvo is originally from New York and is now in Nebraska so everywhere it's been there's a lot of snow and consequently.... lots of winter road salts :(

Funny you should mention Elevate parts to "work as intended" becasue I just discovered the mounting tab holes are a larger diameter than the endlink studs so I will have to make some spacers in order to make it fit properly. Currently it squeaks and loosens the nuts because the fit is sloppy. Not a big deal though. I have browsed, IPD, Elevate, EST, and Viva for various things. EST seems to be like Elevate stuff but without the price markup, lol

About the upper control arms, are those for correcting the rear camber after dropping? I would appreciate if you leave a part number or something. I am getting a set of ISC coilovers in the coming days and I will add those in if necessary. So there are clearance issues with the oil pan when lowered more than an inch? Hardly surprising - compared to my Civic this Volvo has a very low-sitting floor and engine parts don't give a lot of room. I haven't installed my skidplate yet because i want to permanently fix my small oil leak and get exhaust installed first.

You'd really loan me your softloader? Thats awesome! My original plan was to drive up to Shark's HQ in Minnesota and have them take a look at my car and recommend the right tune for it. I am planning to build my car to handle Shark Stage 3 but for a daily driver I might have to restrain myself and go for the lesser tune for longevity and drivability reasons... If borrowing a soft-loader means saving a few hundred bucks, i'm all in! It will be a while before i'm ready for it though. At 90,000 miles i really need to get this car professionally checked out to make sure maintenance is up to date. It's kind of hard to tell when you buy a car from a previous owner you've never met. Who knows what kinds of secrets might be lurking in the car.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
that sucks about the fitment issue with the elevate bar. I bought a bar for a mazda and its perfect. You will definitely need the camber arms unless youve got unlimited funds for tires.
i think these have been verified as genuine SPC camber arms.
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-45K01...ords=volvo+rear+upper+adjustable+control+arms

but looks like there are plenty of options now, some knock-offs but im sure they are fine... the spc arms ^ are good, but the price listed is for one only so you'd need 2, the others, im not sure.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=volvo+rear+upper+adjustable+control+arms

the shark stage 3 tune is a huge different, but its something you can absolutely live with day to day... theres nothing extreme about it in that regard, just feels like thats how the car shouldhave felt to begin with. Even if your like me and you drive very slowly, its no more difficult to live with, It honestly just makes the power much easier and with less throttle input than stock.
If you have any questions about the tune or any other performance parts or whatever, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not a huge deal with the sway bar, just a bit disappointing. Apparently Elevate changed this hole size on their newer bars because people complained they were too small and didn't fit. It would've been nice of them to include spacers though. Besides this, the sway bar is great! just a few squeaks which i attribute to the loose fitting endlinks. I'll have it fitting properly by Wednesday this week.

I'm so glad to hear you can live with the tune! MY biggest fear was having a car that is really jerky and wants to go wild all the time even when I'm trying to drive slow and civilized (which is most of the time) ;)

I had Ingalls / SPC camber arms on my Civic and loved them... however by the time I got those the cheaper brands like Megan Racing and Godspeed were actually putting out camber arms that were just as good, if not better than the early SPC parts. i just got a good deal on them so I didn't grab a knock-off set. On this.... to be honest, it looks to me like the knock-off arms are just as good. There's no way they can mess it up when you have a cast elbow shaped hunk of metal like that. Even if the metal is not the highest grade, i'm positive those will hold up to regular daily driving on city streets. I'll go with the cheapies this time :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts