SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the #13 KPAX car from one of the prior KPAX owners.

Love it! But looking back at photos of my old 2008 R I cant help but cringe at the facelift.

De-facing...seems simple enough but before I go hunt for a old bumper and hire someone to pull, place and paint I wanted to ask if this was even feasible.

Anyone have any experience with this? Am I crazy for caring?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
There's definitely a strong preference for classic over facelift by many owners, myself included. The classic front end matches Volvo's styling at the time. The facelift front end, while definitely a bit more modern looking, stood on it's own. It did not match any of Volvo's other models (excluding the C70 since that's a P1) and it did not resemble any of Volvo's later models. It was just a weird design change that only lasted 3 model years.

It is possible to swap the front ends with some minor modification. You'll need the head lights, fenders, bumper, and likely need to modify some of the brackets for fitment of the lower trays and such.

It's more common for people to update their classics with a facelift rear end.

If you have halogen lights, you'll need to get halogen light replacements. If you have bi-xenon, you'll need to get bi-xenon light replacements. Some wiring will likely be necessary since the facelift bi-xenon lights are active bending and this is not a feature on the classics and may throw an error for not working.

Removing the bumper takes a whopping 10 minutes the first time and about 2 minutes after you know what you're doing, so it's a fairly easy DIY.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wanted to say congrats on your purchase - I’m #12 of 25 and currently fighting with a CEL that has plagued me since last summer - awesome cars but not without their faults...

·
Registered
92 Posts
that's a nice car I have seen them racing on youtube
does it have a K16 turbo?

don't confuse feasible and "cheap"
is it worth doing or even affordable? absolutely not
you can buy another used 2008 for the price it will cost you to retrofit

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
that's a nice car I have seen them racing on youtube
does it have a K16 turbo?
This is one of the limited-run Kpax tuned cars, similar to how there was a limited run of rebel blue Polestar Luxury Editions.
No P1s came factory with K16s.

is it worth doing or even affordable? absolutely not
you can buy another used 2008 for the price it will cost you to retrofit
If someone dislikes the appearance of their car, why not modify it to their liking?
All the parts necessary to swap this will come out less than $1k. Depending on the color, parts may not even require paint.
Even the last MY of the facelift C30 is 7 years old and showing up in junk yards now. Parts are cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts