SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to upgrade my DP on my 2006 S60 2.5T, but I do not want to have to ever take it off bc it won't pass emissions. Any help?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Ulness you find a cali legal cat and weld it into a pipe and maintain the certificate if it ever comes up you may be hosed...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
There's no California legal DP in existence, as none has a CARB exemption. In practice most will pass both visual (because who would suspect that a Volvo has an aftermarket DP) and sniffer, at least when properly warmed up before the test.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Can you jus weld a CA legal cat onto it and call it a day?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I know you said you didn't want to take it off but I took my section of the DP out and had a 3" section made to replace it. When I have to smog it I just take out the "straight pipe" and bolt up the section with the cat using some RTV as a gasket. Takes me about and hour and a half or so. Probably your best bet though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you elaborate chillidawg on how you created your setup? I am really interested.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The DP is two pieces, the upper part connects to the turbo and is connected to the lower part by two bolts. The other end of the cat section is connected to the exhaust by two more bolts. I don't think I have a pic of my straight pipe but its just a straight 3" pipe with flanges on the end that are the same size as the flanges on the upper DP and exhaust. If I can find some pics I'll post them up.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ha, found it!!! Here is the pipe I was talking about! It's pretty much cut and dry! I only get a check engine light every once in a while because of the o2 sensor but I have a basic code reader/scanner that I erase it with. I actually need to swap it out this week to get my smog done so I can get on base!!! Even for the military with out of state plates, I still have to smog my car to get my stickers so I can get on base!!!:mad:

Where my exhaust piping starts after the straight pipe. Straight through Magnaflow muffler.

And the rear part of the exhaust. I like it a lot because the rear muffler section doesn't hang down like some of the other aftermarket systems.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Ha, found it!!! Here is the pipe I was talking about! It's pretty much cut and dry! I only get a check engine light every once in a while because of the o2 sensor but I have a basic code reader/scanner that I erase it with. I actually need to swap it out this week to get my smog done so I can get on base!!! Even for the military with out of state plates, I still have to smog my car to get my stickers so I can get on base!!!:mad:

Where my exhaust piping starts after the straight pipe. Straight through Magnaflow muffler.

And the rear part of the exhaust. I like it a lot because the rear muffler section doesn't hang down like some of the other aftermarket systems.
So you have the muffler wher the resonator used to be? And straight pipe all downstream from there? Hows it sound and perform? That big ol' muffler doesn't radiate heat into the cabin at all does it? Wondering since there is less air to btw the tunnel & the muffler to insulate/draw heat away. Lastly, cost?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yep the muffler is in the middle of the car and it's all 3" mandrel bent. Price IIRC was around $600. No heat, that heat shield is still there and I'm sure there's enough airflow while moving to dissipate it. Look up chillidawg40 on youtube and I have a bunch of videos. The only thing is the drone is a little bad on the highway but I don't mind, I love the sound.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am an inspector here and from my point of view Mika is right. No one is going to be able to tell if you had thethe cat altered because on these cars the cat is above the floorpan. On some cars I inspect, it's. very difficult to check if the cats have been modified (although if removed that's a different story, I can hear it and smell it). Ford trucks and suvs have their cats next to the frame rails, and are not visible from the engine bay or the ground--you have to get a creeper and scoot under the middle to see them, but they pass inspection without a hitch despite the absence of a visible presence. So as long as your check engine light doesn't pop up, you should be good.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not sure either but then again I have out of state tags so I don't know if they could even ticket me for having one. I'm assuming you'd get a fixit ticket, or if you were racing and being a butthole they could impound your car. I'll google it to see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where is your out of state licence plate from? Arizona? How can I get one? My aunt has a house out there and she registers her car out there.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Where is your out of state licence plate from? Arizona? How can I get one? My aunt has a house out there and she registers her car out there.
That's a lot of trouble for a downpipe. Just get a DP and have it installed until smog time. That's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm sure if you can get an out of state plate from AZ you'd be good. Actually any state outside of California would be good but you're probably going to need some address as you home of record and I don't know how you'd do that. I was born and raised in Fl and that's my home of record since my parents live there, I just use their address.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm sure if you can get an out of state plate from AZ you'd be good. Actually any state outside of California would be good but you're probably going to need some address as you home of record and I don't know how you'd do that. I was born and raised in Fl and that's my home of record since my parents live there, I just use their address.
I moved to CA in 2008, I had my car registered in Georgia for a long time at my parent's address - until local law enforcement caught on. I received a letter that stated I needed to register my vehicle in-state OR ELSE.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I moved to CA in 2008, I had my car registered in Georgia for a long time at my parent's address - until local law enforcement caught on. I received a letter that stated I needed to register my vehicle in-state OR ELSE.
Being in the military I don't think I'd have to worry about that but you never know! No problems yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts