SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a knock sensor for my 2000 S70 non-turbo, part #1275629. Part has been discontinued per dealer and seems to be confirmed by a Google search I did. Anyone have any idea where I could source one? Maybe from the European market (anyone know a good parts supplier overseas)?

· Registered
16,578 Posts
A lot of folks order from Skandix.

· Registered
84 Posts
So I need a knock sensor for my 2000 S70 non-turbo, part #1275629. Part has been discontinued per dealer and seems to be confirmed by a Google search I did. Anyone have any idea where I could source one? Maybe from the European market (anyone know a good parts supplier overseas)?
I don't know if this helps you.

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Yep, used knock sensor. How many have I seen that were bad since they were first used in 198x at my two shops? Just a few and usually those were earlier types that had been overheated and melted.

I normally don't like used parts - but we are sourcing something for a 23 year old Volvo that is not longer available new. (and is allegedly bad)

· Registered
1,041 Posts
As other mentioned, knock sensor replacement is very rare. Torque to 20Nm
What codes and drivability issues do you have?
Call the Volvo dealer parts dept. The parts dept can search for discontinued or obsolete parts thru the Volvo network.
Old parts stock will be moved into this section.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response. The code is ECM-3400 (Knock Sensor). There is also an ECM-6400 for the Camshaft Reset Valve. I think that there is an issue with the valve that is triggering the knock sensor. The Volvo dealer is the one who said they could not find a replacement knock sensor, and I trust them, because I have been using them for years. They have them for turbos, but not non-turbos. I also have looked for the valve and found it on the official Volvo parts site, but even though the part number is right (1275578), the picture with it has the hooked socket, rather than the straight plug-in on mine (also part number 1275578).

· Registered
1,270 Posts
The code is ECM-3400 (Knock Sensor). n ECM-6400 for the Camshaft Reset Valve.
So does this mean you are replacing by code or is there some sort or diagnostic process happening other than - I got a code let's replace a part? That gets very expensive and frustrating to fix car that way.

Have you erased these codes and seen how long it takes before they return? Is your car stage 0 with new spark plugs?

· Registered
19,393 Posts
That code is open circuit or short to ground. Signal high or low. While it is possible it is the sensor itself I would take a very good look at the harness before putting a new to the car sensor on.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, this is what the dealership is saying needs to be done...but no, I don't believe them totally. I did erase and they came back immediately. Yes, it has brand new Volvo plugs installed yesterday. I suspect the harness too, but I get cold feet when dealing with wiring, so not sure I wouldn't do more harm than good.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As other mentioned, knock sensor replacement is very rare. Torque to 20Nm
What codes and drivability issues do you have?
Call the Volvo dealer parts dept. The parts dept can search for discontinued or obsolete parts thru the Volvo network.
Old parts stock will be moved into this section.

View attachment 166094
Great post. Drivability issues are sudden loss of acceleration or slow acceleration on take off. I'm wondering if I should get a two-sensor wire and see if they can be split up...maybe one (the front one perhaps) is identical to the single sensor one I need?

· Registered
1,270 Posts
So, this is what the dealership is saying needs to be done..
Hopefully you understand some of the technicians at the dealer were babies when your car was commonly in their shop. And older cars like yours (unfortunately) are not going to be given to the smartest techs. There is a pecking order - the smartest/oldest guys will be given the jobs they can make the most money on. A 23 year old Volvo 850 is not going to be one of those cars. Sorry.

I really don't know what to recommend - having employed techs for 40 years - I've seen what happens when they are not interested in cars because they can make more money easier on others. It's all about billed hours - everyone is on commision. (sp)

If you think the knock sensors are picking up "knocking" and retarding the timing creating your drivability issues - unbolt the sensors, tie them up away from the engine, and see what happens. The sensors are kinda like microphones and generate signals when "pinging" is present. If not attached to the block - they can't find the ping. (I did that on my Wifes qx4 infiniti - knock sensor code, was located under the manifold on the v6, snipped the wiring and spliced a new (used) connector with a used sensor from a volvo - bolted on top somewhere. No more knock sensor codes!)

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, obviously the wiring harness enters somewhere near the manifold (I would think) which is a lot of work to unbolt to pull the sensor. Is there a connector external to the manifold for only the sensor that I could unplug? Would that solve things or would I have a permanent "signal missing" CE code?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, obviously the wiring harness enters somewhere near the manifold (I would think) which is a lot of work to unbolt to pull the sensor. Is there a connector external to the manifold for only the sensor that I could unplug? Would that solve things or would I have a permanent "signal missing" CE code?
So, it's running about the same but has started adding codes. ECM-4000 Canister Purge Valve and ECM4010 Evap Canister Shutoff Valve Faulty signal and ECM-6200 (cooling fan signal I think). So, the purge valve has thrown codes before and and I think it shares the same wiring harness as the fan? And maybe the knock sensor as well. Perhaps their is a wiring issue in that harness? Thoughts?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, replaced the VVT solenoid and still same issue. So, thinking it is either the harness or the sensor itself. I will try to find the external connection point and see if i can unclip and check wiring, then put dielectric grease on the connection and see if that helps. Vastly annoying situation...:mad:

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, replaced the VVT solenoid and still same issue. So, thinking it is either the harness or the sensor itself. I will try to find the external connection point and see if i can unclip and check wiring, then put dielectric grease on the connection and see if that helps. Vastly annoying situation...:mad:
Found one in the junkyard today! Hopefully it's good. Came off a 2000 S70 non-turbo just like mine, except it was silver with a tan interior (strange color combination). Mine is moon dust metallic with tan interior. So, good source for interior parts for mine too! Funny thing, the previous owner had painted the whole engine bay silver, lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts