SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fiancee and I recently purchased a 2013 S60 T5 AWD and I popped the hood on it this weekend and noticed that the engine bay is similar to that of a S40/V50/C30/C70. So immediately I start thinking, "this would look good with one of those full KN cold air intake systems." I was wondering if anyone has actually tried to install this on their T5 or if anyone thinks it's possible?

http://www.vivaperformance.com/k-n-typhoon-air-intake-system-s40-v50-c30-c70-69-9000ts/

or Injen's option:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/injen-sp-air-intake-kit-volvo-s40-v50-c30-c70/

Maybe George over at VIVA has actually test fitted this on a T5 or looking for someone to test fit it ;)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Nice to see quick upgrades! :D I guess it would work since it is, essentially, just a reworked version of the same block. Such to the extent that your engine block is the same as it was in the Mk 2 Ford Focus ST/RS and all performance parts are exchangeable between the ST/RS/V50/S40/C30/C70. I would ask about it though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My Fiancee and I recently purchased a 2013 S60 T5 AWD and I popped the hood on it this weekend and noticed that the engine bay is similar to that of a S40/V50/C30/C70. So immediately I start thinking, "this would look good with one of those full KN cold air intake systems." I was wondering if anyone has actually tried to install this on their T5 or if anyone thinks it's possible?

http://www.vivaperformance.com/k-n-typhoon-air-intake-system-s40-v50-c30-c70-69-9000ts/

or Injen's option:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/injen-sp-air-intake-kit-volvo-s40-v50-c30-c70/

Maybe George over at VIVA has actually test fitted this on a T5 or looking for someone to test fit it ;)
If your looking for a performance gain, you might start elsewhere. It has been well documented that adding a CAI to the T5 really has no performance benefit. It gives you a little more sound but no hp bump. Save your money and do an exhaust.

Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
can you take a picture of your engine? im really familiar with the Focus RS/ST engine.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your looking for a performance gain, you might start elsewhere. It has been well documented that adding a CAI to the T5 really has no performance benefit. It gives you a little more sound but no hp bump. Save your money and do an exhaust.

Just my .02 cents worth.
The KN site claims 14-15hp from the Typhoon setup for the T5.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
sounds interesting, we have already tested the kn and forge intakes on dyno on Focus RS and ST and actually i gave us more hp. We have built some 400 hps RS with just bolt ons.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If you want your motor to last a long time, you may wish to rethink the K&N filter. Numerous studies have shown that they allow far more dirt into the motor than the OEM filter.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want your motor to last a long time, you may wish to rethink the K&N filter. Numerous studies have shown that they allow far more dirt into the motor than the OEM filter.
I've never had a problem using KN filters in all my cars. It really comes down to how you clean/re-oil the filter.

I'm not really saying that I want to do this to my particular car, but merely stating what I observed when I popped the hood; how come no one has thought about using the same intake system.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would love to see who is funding those studies. :confused:
I've never had a problem with them on any of my cars. My personal experience after 275,000 miles on a 1998 c70 is that it didn't damage my engine. The 18T and 19psi boost had more of an impact....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i think, it will produce more damage using bad oil on the car or something else than a filter. We have a performance shop and deal with tons of car tuned, i have never see any problem with intakes, for sure if there is any, i will think that maybe the costumer did clean and add too much oil on the filter when he installed again on the car, messing with the MAF, but thats the only thing i think it can happen.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Their system is a cone filter behind the radiator. Cold air? From where. Keep in mind the air that is pulled in goes through a hot turbo. So is gets heated back up anyways, right. Waste of money. You need to cool the compressed air before it goes back into the engine. A more efficent intercooler is going to be a better bet to increase efficiency. Just some thoughts?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Their system is a cone filter behind the radiator. Cold air? From where. Keep in mind the air that is pulled in goes through a hot turbo. So is gets heated back up anyways, right. Waste of money. You need to cool the compressed air before it goes back into the engine. A more efficent intercooler is going to be a better bet to increase efficiency. Just some thoughts?
While not a total waste of money, a cold-air intake does increase power percentages when combined with a higher performance intercooler. I suggest both, but that's because it's not my money! :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
i wonder is the T5 filter in the same area as the T6 cars ???

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i wonder is the T5 filter in the same area as the T6 cars ???

Its not the same, because the layout of the engine is completely different.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The intercooler on the new T5/T6 motors are actually a true front mounted design and actually not a weak point for the motor, but once again I'm not really looking to do this, but merely pointing out that the design of the KN kit should fit.

·
Registered
329 Posts

Just my .02 cents worth.
The bolt on exhausts have shown no improvement on the S60s. Just a better sound is all you get.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The bolt on exhausts have shown no improvement on the S60s. Just a better sound is all you get.
At least you get something for your money? Right ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys this is just an open port setup right? Not in reality "cold air" intake. In fact this setup takes in air from the hottest area.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
You are not wrong, though I'm not quite sure whether or not it's the hottest area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts