SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
19T is about 15 cfm more than an 18t at 1 bar and 2.0 PR (485 vs 500).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Little Update.

Couple weeks ago RobertDIY visited Chicago and he stopped by my place and he suspects the the issues i'm having are related to failing fuel pump. He will be in town in beginning of July and we will do partial sub-frame drop to replace the pump.

Different topping - manual swap
I'm may be able to get cheap 1995 850GLT with manual transition. Is it worth to proceed ? What are the challenges will I be facing ? Are all the parts interchangeable ? Is it even worth it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can someone explain Robert DIY to me? I understand he has a YouTube channel, but does he just drive around the country helping people fix cars like some sort of Volvo Santa Claus? Or is he a paid professional mechanic that you specifically hire to show up at your house like a mobile mechanic?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Can someone explain Robert DIY to me? I understand he has a YouTube channel, but does he just drive around the country helping people fix cars like some sort of Volvo Santa Claus? Or is he a paid professional mechanic that you specifically hire to show up at your house like a mobile mechanic?
Yes Robert DIY is like a Volvo Santa Claus. Drives around in his sled and helps people with their Volvo issues. But instead of cookies like Santa, Robert accepts cash. This is his life now and the way he supports himself. With working on people's cars(mostly Volvos) and thru his YouTube channel. He has helped countless of people thru both ways.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Little Update.

Couple weeks ago RobertDIY visited Chicago and he stopped by my place and he suspects the the issues i'm having are related to failing fuel pump. He will be in town in beginning of July and we will do partial sub-frame drop to replace the pump.

I'm may be able to get cheap 1995 850GLT with manual transition. Is it worth to proceed ? What are the challenges will I be facing ? Are all the parts interchangeable ? Is it even worth it?
Very cool that Robert will be helping you out. You can also cut a hole to gain access and replace the pump without dropping the subframe Google the procedure. Regarding the manual swap, i would say it would be worth it, Jared will probably chime in on the "doability" and compatibility of parts from an 850.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
Little Update.

How cheap are we talking here? 95 is probably going to be a M56L which isn't ideal but it'll work. I think that's still external slave at that point? And you'll have the VSS to deal with but I think you can just leave it unplugged and it won't interfere with anything. But I mean yeah you can totally use that car to do most of this swap. Pedals are the big thing that come to mind that you'll want the x70 specific version of.

If you are going to proceed down this path, I would strongly encourage you to ignore the fuel pump for the moment and fully delete the AWD when you swap. The M56 doesn't support AWD. However you can just take all the FWD suspension stuff and put it into your V70R, and the car will go on a 600lb diet in the process....plus you'll eliminate a lot of complication, expense, and headaches by deleting it all, and your fuel pump will become accessible. The only concern I'd have with using an 850 for that swap is whether the 850 gas tank is the same since 99+ has a returnless fuel line setup. Do some research and see what's compatible there.

Don't cut a hole in the bottom of your car :facepalm:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes! don't cut a hole in the floor pan!
I thought we talked about this fuel pump location in the 98-00 V70r a few times on here.
98 was like the year you could get away with unscrewing a cover plate on the inside of the wagon under the rear seats and that got you to the fuel pump.
But 99 and 00, you for sure had to drop the rear sub frame and fuel tank..also that 00 have the two access areas. One was the fuel pump and the other when was called some I can't think of it right now ( and I will need to replace that part on my 00 soon) but that was a pump too, that pumped the fuel over that highest part of the saddle design fuel tank to get the fuel in the fuel pump area.

I Need to get on the computer and look at the tank design break down for those years.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Guys, Thanks for the feedback, but I'm give up on manual swap at this time as it is too big of a challenge and luck of space to work on.

For the fuel pump I will take the hard road and will not cut a hole in the bottom of your car. Wish me luck. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
@JaredR - The 850 I could get for $200, but I due too lack of space I contacted RobertDIY and he will be picking up.

@Jaydiesel and @JaredR- No cutting a hole in the bottom of your car :nono:

@UT OLI - Since I've hooked up Robert with cheap 850 perhaps I can get a discount on his services.

·
Registered
854 Posts
@JaredR - The 850 I could get for $200, but I due too lack of space I contacted RobertDIY and he will be picking up.

@Jaydiesel and @JaredR- No cutting a hole in the bottom of your car :nono:

@UT OLI - Since I've hooked up Robert with cheap 850 perhaps I can get a discount on his services.
Yeah, i probably should of put a disclaimer stating cutting a hole was not recommended, but an option. Hopefully you and Robert will get her going and post a Video on his channel or a link here. I like that you haven't given up like the previous owner did.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Question.
Since, I'll be doing fuel pump replacement and I'm going to be dropping just the front of the tank down and partial drop of rear sub-frame, remove the back of the prop shaft and the viscous unit.
Where is the best area to place the jack stands in the read of the car ?
I will be using pair of ESCO 10498 Jack Stands.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Question.
Since, I'll be doing fuel pump replacement and I'm going to be dropping just the front of the tank down and partial drop of rear sub-frame, remove the back of the prop shaft and the viscous unit.
I put them under the pinch seam where the arrows are on the plastic rocker panels. Be careful to not damage the panel. You don't need to completely remove the viscous unit just pull the bolt to the floorpan.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Question.
Not sure for the wagon, but im glad your not using the harbour freight stands that were recalled for collapsing, and the new stands to replace the recalled ones just got recalled. Yikes !

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I put them under the pinch seam where the arrows are on the plastic rocker panels. Be careful to not damage the panel. You don't need to completely remove the viscous unit just pull the bolt to the floorpan.
Thanks for the info and tip.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Not sure for the wagon, but im glad your not using the harbour freight stands that were recalled for collapsing, and the new stands to replace the recalled ones just got recalled. Yikes !
I got ESCO's from Amazon and $100 well spent as they had good reviews. It seems like they are taller than other jacks but not bad. Will put them to test this week.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
So yesterday Robert stopped by and we have finish replacing blue box fuel pump by partial sub-frame drop and car is still has same symptoms.
Replacing fuel pump did not HELP. Could it be ETM or ECM issue because when I disconnect negative cable from battery for 10-15 min and reconnect it back car start fine and runs great for 15-30 min and then dies. We connected the VIDA and again no codes. We are hitting the wall here.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I don't think its ETM. Do you have a Junk Yard you could snag a ECU from a 99 or 00 ? I remember one in Bensenville but that was 20 years ago. Or maybe someone here has a spare they could lend you.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts