SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a set of Bilstien touring class struts and shocks for my 97 T5. Looked at a kit on FCP for the additional parts to put them (Strut mount, spring seat, etc) and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the kit prices. My milage is at 265k and there's a fair chance it's the original struts and shocks. The ride is very rough. I'm curious how much of the kit is truly necessary. Thanks. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-strut-mounts-w-hardware-kit-front-vfshk1

·
Registered
164 Posts
Though I've never used them myself, I hear you can go with XC90 spring seats (beefier). I would spend some more on good strut mounts, not the aftermarket ones in this kit. True story: I once (and only once) bought scantec strut mounts and they didn't last a month. Returned and got sachs, I believe. As for the other little bits in this kit, I would think most of it is re-usable (nut(s), bellows, bump stop, etc). Although with that mileage, those parts may be worn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Switched over to IPD and got the Sachs mount/IPD spring seats kit.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I would at least replace the bump stops personally at your mileage - They are not expensive. I believe Hudson was the OE supplier for the front ones. There is also a little dust/moisture seal at the top of the struts that everyone forgets to install. Not 'necessary' but it's very cheap and you might as well if you're doing everything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts