SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
Rule of thumb is over 200 one wheel horsepower. There’s a lot that can be done to fix or minimize that before going LSD.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10-4, Without going LSD what have the fellow swedespeeders done?

Hhow many of us T5 M66 guys put a bigger turbo on, tuned etc?

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
10-4, Without going LSD what have the fellow swedespeeders done?

Hhow many of us T5 M66 guys put a bigger turbo on, tuned etc?
Without a quaife or wavetrac? Not many. With those? Big precision ect.

FWIW I’m going quaife before even stuffing an intercooler in as downpipe and intake has brought my 03 to the edge of acceptable torque steer.

·
Registered
945 Posts
SB, do you think the Quaife will necessitate a larger front sway bar?

The H8 battery certainly seems to have increased inside wheelspin on mt 01 T5M, especially at low speed.

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
SB, do you think the Quaife will necessitate a larger front sway bar?

The H8 battery certainly seems to have increased inside wheelspin on mt 01 T5M, especially at low speed.
I did a larger rear. If there was a smaller front I’d downgrade from 24mm I think it’s too stiff already. Quaife shouldn’t affect or play into the roll of the body at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's hard to say. I have my K24 (non hybrid with 11 blade billet wheel) boosting 24psi at 2.8k rpm. Lot's of wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd sometimes on dry road. There is some torque steer, but nothing crazy. Will get a LSD before installing a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know. Last thing I plan to do was a hybrid Turbo. But if your having trouble putting power down, I think I'll hold off on that for now. Did you upgrade your injectors/maf intercooler etc??

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, I believe I have a bit of a hard time putting the power down in 2nd gear because this turbo spools really quick. I'm on 17" wheels with Michelin PS4.
If you have a bigger turbo, it should be a bit slower spooling up and this will help putting the power down. I'm on the stock MAF, but have green injectors, do88 intercooler, downpipe, all that good stuff.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10-4.

Was gonna Hybridize the Turbo before getting a tune. Have the bigger MAF and Injectors in hand. Snabb Ultimate FMIC installed as well as Downpipe and 3.5" exhaust to the rear. 18" wheels will also help with the wheel spin I imagine.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,437 Posts
FWIW On my '98 I still get torque steer with the Quaife. It does a good job of wheelspin on curves, but in my experience doesn't do much for torque steer. Fresh engine mounts and a strut brace might be more important.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My understanding is that an LSD will actually increase torque steer. An LSD will allow different torques to be developed by each wheel - an open diff does not.
This is likely to increase "pull" on the steering ie torque steer.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My understanding is that an LSD will actually increase torque steer. An LSD will allow different torques to be developed by each wheel - an open diff does not.
This is likely to increase "pull" on the steering ie torque steer.
This is why a thicker front sway bar is indicated when a Quiafe is put into a FWD car. However, the front swaybars on these P2s run on the high stiffness/large diameter size to begin with.

Note that the hollow 24 mm front bar is equivalent to the 22.7 mm solid bar found on some early P2s, have posted the measurments and calculations for this elsewhere on this board.

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
FWIW On my '98 I still get torque steer with the Quaife. It does a good job of wheelspin on curves, but in my experience doesn't do much for torque steer. Fresh engine mounts and a strut brace might be more important.
I’ve ironed out torque steer with alignment, delrin and strut braces.

Quaife is for putting power down.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is why a thicker front sway bar is indicated when a Quiafe is put into a FWD car. However, the front swaybars on these P2s run on the high stiffness/large diameter size to begin with.

Note that the hollow 24 mm front bar is equivalent to the 22.7 mm solid bar found on some early P2s, have posted the measurments and calculations for this elsewhere on this board.
I have IPD sways in the front and back. It's a pretty cool upgrade.

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
I need a clutch upgrade at the moment and since I'm at it I'll install a Gripper most likely.
I’d suggest a wavetrac or a quaife. Reason being that a gripper will contaminate your gear oil with friction material and that will not be good for longevity of the gear and bearing hard faces. Quaife are less expensive at the moment because the pound is weak.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had no idea about the oil contamination. I'll look into that. Thanks.
All the UK fwd Volvos that go the Ring every year are fitted with these and swear by it.

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
Had no idea about the oil contamination. I'll look into that. Thanks.
All the UK fwd Volvos that go the Ring every year are fitted with these and swear by it.
Well sure they’re excellent for traction.

A wavetrac solves the quaifes zero friction problems. I’d have grabbed one but I have the 5 speed trans and they don’t make one for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts