SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way to work this morning I had an interesting occurrence. Going from the fast lane to middle lane I put the pedal down to pass a slow poke but didn't happen as I planned. She made her normal downshift and boosted but all of a sudden heard a loud pop and she started to chug and stutter.

:eek:

I pulled off a bit as the car slowed and tried to ease back into it but it stumbled again, seems to run fine without load but falls on it's face when trying to make positive pressure. no throttle response just a ton of air noise under the hood. Managed to slug it the last few miles down the freeway and into the parking lot at work where I popped the hood.

Here's my challenge, not hard, who wants to guess what happened?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Intercooler piping cracked and/or you blew off a connector?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

3 beers for you guys.

:beer::beer::beer:

It happened once before right after I did my FMIC install but not on the highway. Kinda scared me but only took a second to realize what happened. I almost got stuck at work though, had no tools with me and couldn't find anything in office. Luckily I found a pair of pliars in a maintenance closet and was able to reattach it in the parking lot.

I think I'll pull the FMIC tomorrow and flush it out as the pipes seem to have a pretty thorough coat of oil inside them, has to be pooling up in the core. I'll take the time and check all the couplings again while I'm at it.

This was the bugger:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah mine came apart at the top of the turbo, it was scary but I was at Carlisle so everyone immediatly knew what it was plus I opened the good and it was blatantly obvious. I can't imagine being on the highway though.

Better replace those tires with that camber wear before you hear another "pop"!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
One of the reasons I keep all the tools I need to remove the bumper cover in my car...would hate to get stuck without tools if/when this happens....

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is why I keep one of these in all of my cars. For the Volvo I add a couple of extensions, a magnetic pick up tool, pliers and a small hex and torx bit set that works with the screw driver or 1/4 drive coupler and they all fit nicely in the supplied case.

Oh I also keep a flashlight, knife, bone tool and of course a pair of gloves in my glove box.

For long planned out trips I usually bring a road trip kit that adds needle nose pliers, wire, wire cutters, taps/connectors, hose repair tape, wire ties a 3/8 ratchet with some deep sockets (not included in the smaller kit) and a spark plug socket. Yeah it is probably overkill but I broke down once when I was little with my dad and he kept a similar kit in his car and instead of waiting an hour for a tow truck he was able to repair the problem and it made a lasting impression on me

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Any hard noise can make us cry thinking about a rod saying hi to us from the block, good it was just a hose!!!

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Might I recommend a front end alignment?

·
Registered
877 Posts

Might I recommend a front end alignment?
Next to impossible to get that front end aligned properly without some camber bolts, but then you have the risk of the camber bolts turning and creating more negative camber. I couldnt deal with replacing tires so frequently so I did the camber bolts and they have held up for a few months with no issues.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I normally pack a tool bag for long trips but not for daily commuting, I am gonna throw together a small bag to keep in the car though after this.

Re: tires, there's plenty of rubber on those fronts before any danger but yes I do need to order some tires and have my camber kits installed. I have had the front and rear kits for years but nobody wants to install the IPD bushings around here for some reason. I just keep buying tires every few months for now, lol.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I normally pack a tool bag for long trips but not for daily commuting, I am gonna throw together a small bag to keep in the car though after this.

Re: tires, there's plenty of rubber on those fronts before any danger but yes I do need to order some tires and have my camber kits installed. I have had the front and rear kits for years but nobody wants to install the IPD bushings around here for some reason. I just keep buying tires every few months for now, lol.
Yeah i dont understand how people do it with excessive camber...I finally started running cheap tires, now that I have the camber fixed Im going to invest in a decent set of tires. I think the reason why no one will install those IPD bushings is the fact that they have to be tweaked until its perfect so it just requires a lot of work with the alignment machine is what I've heard.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I just rotate the tires every 5k. I also have them swapped left to right to spread the corner wear. I bought asymmetrical tires last time without thinking about it and I'll probably only get half my mileage out of them because they have an "outside" and "inside" and can't be swapped like that.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
my eibach springs give me a nice and even -1* of camber... no odd tirewear here

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now Officially : Tire Wear and Camber Thread

My fronts are usually great, shouldn't be more than -1.0 like Impluse said as they are standard Eibachs and Bilstein Sport, I think my problem now is that the FCA bushings are completely shot and that's taking a heavy toll on the front tires. Those tires are only a few months old, they typically last at least a year in the front. Other problem is the rear camber, that's gotta be out of control by now as it was almost -3.0 before I cut the springs and it def went more, plus the larger spacers all around. The rear has always eaten tires faster than normal but it's pretty much chewing through them like cookie monster now!

So my thoughts are this, get new FCA poly bushings and have the rear IPD camber bushings installed ASAP. Rerun a Firestone Lifetime Alignment and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
happened again tonight on the highway past Patterson, not cool. Turns out the clamp broke, only holds a few psi when together. Managed to reclamp it on the side of the highway and then nursed it home. Replaced with a new T bolt clamp but still not a fun occurence. :facepalm:

Side of the freeway, not ideal work place:

Broken T-Bolt Clamp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts