SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever accidentally opened the trunk when washing with a spray wand?
It happened to me twice today. No big deal -- I was right there at the rear so I could catch it both times.

I guess the moral is: "Turn that function off when washing" ;)

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Yours is a safe lesson. Just remember to put key fob inside car or inside house. :)

Mine popped up when I was mounting bike rack... Paint scratched at the bottom edge.

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
502 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me tonight when washing the car, in my previous Volvos it was almost impossible to get that feature to work. 🙄

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me tonight when washing the car, in my previous Volvos it was almost impossible to get that feature to work.
Interesting now we are complaining that something works as designed?

You should not have a key in your pocket when washing a car with proximity entrance, that’s just basics.

If you don’t you’re I’ll also open and lock the car when touching the handle, moving the mirrors in and out, turning on the lights if it’s getting dark, and powering up other electronics in the car.

All working as design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
It’s not working as designed when my foot does not go under the rear bumper.

Nor was the key in my pocket.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

The key FOB does not have to be in your pocket — within ~ 5’ radius is all it takes at any location. Hope this is useful and will be interesting to hear where your key FOB actually was.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Leave the key away from distance as recommended and you won’t have issues.

Motion is motion, the system in not looking for your foot it’s looking for motivation. Running water or suds dripping down the body of the car or moving down the driveway will register.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Fair enough, the feedback is appreciated. Key was in the laundry room next to garage but apparently close enough. Thanks All!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Fair enough, the feedback is appreciated. Key was in the laundry room next to garage but apparently close enough. Thanks All!
Must have been within 1 meter range . There is no way the trunk open automatically without key in range.

Also, you don’t want to store the key so close to the car to prevent car theft.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You should not have a key in your pocket when washing a car with proximity entrance, that’s just basics.
So what do you do when you go to the car wash? Just casually toss your key off to the side and hope nobody grabs it? I have learned to keep the key in the house when washing it in the driveway, but it is too cold now to be washing it at home so I take it to the local manual car wash and still have to deal with hearing the locks and watching the lights flash constantly. Luckily I have never had the hatch open yet....I can't usually get that to work when I am carrying boxes and trying to get it to open.

·
Registered
839 Posts
When I use one of the manual car wash bays, I set the key on top of the control box for the sprayer in the bay. It's just far enough away the locks don't activate, but in the bay so you can keep an eye on it. And you won't be able to forget about it when you leave.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Why not just leave it in the cup holder. By design, the locks will not (should not?) operate when the key is in the vehicle.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I keep the key in my pocket and go through the car wash. I was leery about this too but it's easy to open a car window and test that the handle sensors do not work when the key is in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So what do you do when you go to the car wash? Just casually toss your key off to the side and hope nobody grabs it? I have learned to keep the key in the house when washing it in the driveway, but it is too cold now to be washing it at home so I take it to the local manual car wash and still have to deal with hearing the locks and watching the lights flash constantly. Luckily I have never had the hatch open yet....I can't usually get that to work when I am carrying boxes and trying to get it to open.

Do you understand the basics of the system?

Why are you try to get smart with me when you don't understand how it works.

You have two options keep the key in the car with the car open or leave the key outside read range (1meter) like at home when washing the car in the drive way...

Another option is to read the cars owner manual on system operation so you wont be "tossing your key off to the side"

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When I use one of the manual car wash bays, I set the key on top of the control box for the sprayer in the bay. It's just far enough away the locks don't activate, but in the bay so you can keep an eye on it. And you won't be able to forget about it when you leave.

Did the same back in the day when used the manual car wash bays just to prevent from scratching the paint with the key in your pockets. I'm lucky now that i don't have to use the machine anomy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do understand how it works...but encouraging people to leave their key sitting in the open in public or inside the car when they are not in it is a really bad idea. This is how cars get stolen. Saying you are right there next to it doesn’t hold up. You are generally not that aware if someone were to sneak up on the vehicle while you are on the other side of the vehicle. They can be in the car, lock the doors, start and go within seconds. Yes you may see them in the car....but you will also watch them drive away in your vehicle.

I get there is no good answer here...one of the drawbacks of the RF/proximity keys.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Jeez man! OK you may be risk averse, but don't put that on everyone else. Nobody is sneaking up on my when I wash my car and taking my key. And even if that happens so what? I got my family my health and a good insurance policy. There is no way this doesn't devolve into a life philosophy debate ha.

Agreed that new tech introduces new problems. The convenience of leaving my key in my pocket the other 99.9% for the pain of occasional new issues seems like an ok tradeoff to me.

Great point boys about leaving it in the car. I have an irrational fear of locking myself out of cars, it's deep-seated I may need some more therapy to get over it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jeez man! OK you may be risk averse...

Great point boys about leaving it in the car. I have an irrational fear of locking myself out of cars, it's deep-seated I may need some more therapy to get over it.
Haha...I am a Security/Risk Architect by trade...so generally yes risk averse. :)

I see/hear of too many cars being taken while their owners are right next to the vehicle. It isn’t much different than starting your car (older non-remote start) in the driveway to warm up in the cold mornings. Amazing how quick those cars disappear even when the owner is just inside the house.

I also have the same lock myself out of my car paranoia about leaving my key inside the car. I have always cracked a window anytime I have needed to do this “just in case”.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do understand how it works...but encouraging people to leave their key sitting in the open in public or inside the car when they are not in it is a really bad idea. This is how cars get stolen. Saying you are right there next to it doesn’t hold up. You are generally not that aware if someone were to sneak up on the vehicle while you are on the other side of the vehicle. They can be in the car, lock the doors, start and go within seconds. Yes you may see them in the car....but you will also watch them drive away in your vehicle.

I get there is no good answer here...one of the drawbacks of the RF/proximity keys.

I am not saying that worrying about the scenario of having your car stolen from a wash bay while you are in the bay washing it because you left the fob inside the car is impossible. But I am saying it's more than extremely unlikely. How would anyone even know the fob is in the car? It would be much easier to imagine someone comes into the bay and overpowers you to steal your fob and then your car - no matter where the key fob is - and I honestly do not worry much about that much more likely scenario.

Reactions: MichaelCG

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The "fix" is just to "lock" the car, and then wash the car. /fin.

I keep having this "problem"when walking behind the car when car is parked in the garage, until a nice fellow SPA owner (thanks skywolf) corrected my dumbarse-ness.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts