SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Cut the muffler off at home as a DIY. Will be switching to 3" with DP soon though. Car sounds amazing, but the drone is horrible. Iv'e learnt to manage it though by staying in the right gear. Its also helping my lead foot. Gotta keep quiet most of the time...most ;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Installed IPD Subframe Bushings. Car feels so much more responsive and firm and they fixed a lot of clunks. Advanced mode is more comfortable and stable. Crazy that these little ****s can do so much. Every Volvo owner should install these.

TIP: Use petroleum jelly Vaseline for good lube in case you run out. Put a fingernail size dap of it inside the bushing before inserting these for easier installation (if you put too much inside it, the Vaseline will get compressed at the top and push the legs of the insert out). Lube the bushing legs with the lube thats provided with the kit. And dont forget to use the blue stuff on your bolts before reinstalling them with a torque wrench at 77lbs!

Its a pretty easy job that needs patience. Dont do it on a hot day. Best way to do this is to have someone else help you.

Tools used:
- 13mm, 14mm and 15mm sockets.
- Breaker bar
- Torque wrench
- Ratchet
- Car jack
- PVC pipes

FINALLY, ****ING BLEW MY STRUT ON A POTHOLE GOING 70 ON HIGHWAY WHILE GOING HOME LATER IN THE DAY. Also my steering is at 70 degrees off center, I probably broke something :mad:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Installed the rear chassis brace from IPD. Car quickly felt more solid going around turns.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My car is identical to yours except mine is a manual. Tasteful mods..what exactly does the subframe bushing do? And how easy was it to install the rear brace in the trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My car is identical to yours except mine is a manual. Tasteful mods..what exactly does the subframe bushing do? And how easy was it to install the rear brace in the trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The subframe bushing are a must for R, they are kind of a pain to install and you need the tools I mentioned above. As for the Rear brace, it's a performance mod. But still it's cheap for the amount or betterment you make for the car.

Sent from Tapatalk because the people around me are boring. HTC One M8 Tmos

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Any recollection of PVC pipe diameter for bushing install?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Any recollection of PVC pipe diameter for bushing install?
It was the exact diameter of the bushing.

If you had KY around I suppose that would work to?

I have the subframe bushings on mine, I just seated them in then used the bolt to push them the rest of the way.
Lmao. Yeah that would be a viable way too!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Finally got around and had the money to refresh my suspension. Got most of the parts from Amazon.com and IPD. Also got the IPD control arms with the HD bushings kit that comes with the ball joints and IPD endlinks. Still haven't gotten around to do the rears. Had a couple problems trying to take out the old ball joint as it was corroded and welded itself to the hole it goes into. The front right strut was completely empty from hydraulic fluid and the seal was almost out..

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
My bump stops were as disintegrated as yours are, including the rears. I was able to reuse my strut bearings but I too will be upgrading my LCAs soon too.

Congrats on the refurb though, I've been loving the firmer feel of the front end with new struts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm doing this work right now, and my struts seem to be working OK. they are stiff when you try to depress them and no leaks.

If they weren't $500 a pair I would replace them. LOL.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My bump stops were as disintegrated as yours are, including the rears. I was able to reuse my strut bearings but I too will be upgrading my LCAs soon too.

Congrats on the refurb though, I've been loving the firmer feel of the front end with new struts.
Thanks! I love it too, didn't know my car handles that good!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
looking good man, its nice to see people take care of there cars. I should start my own thread, as I have been doing similar work on my car.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
So finished installing the rear suspension thanks to the help of a friend and his awesome tools, and OMG the car handles EVEN MORE A LOT MOAR BETTERS! But the cars feels like its always in sport, im fine with that :). The rear left shock was leaking a bit.

^ We had to rotate the top cap because it wouldnt align with the top holes and the bottom where the shock bolts. Not a big deal like everyone says: "MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE SEAT AND CAP AND PUT THEM EXACTLY HOW THEY ARE!" Not really, car feels fine.

Also, mom drove the car, and got my front lip ripped off -_-. I warned her that its VERY low! So I decided to paint it this time because the sun had faded the polyurethane anyway and looked like ****. Sanded it down with 250 grit then 400 grit, primed with black primer (3 layers), sprayed matte black (3 layers) then gloss (4 layers). Looks great in person!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Also anyone know how I can edit the title for the thread? Im not really that new anymore :p

If a mod or admin reads this, please change it to "Khalil's build thread"

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
On Sunday, the weather was amazing, cool and the warmth of the sun was radiating. Decided to take the car out for a drive on my favorite road and give her a little photoshoot. :D

^ Picture is a little over exposed :p

Also, someone threw a ****ing golf ball at me off a bridge on the highway before I passed under it. I saw it as it was thrown and hit the brakes in time and got lucky it hit my front bumper. I took the exit ramp and raced to the bridge it was thrown off of. Was gonna kill someone. Glad they didn't do any serious damage though. Even the hexagons of the golf ball's design can be seen on the bumper. What the **** is wrong with people?!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ive been debating getting one for a while now. What do you think of it in terms of fitment/modification? It looks like there are parts of it that dont quite match up with the lower bumper, like you can see past certain areas and the ground below.

Youre at stock ride height right? How is the scraping with this thing in everyday life-going over speed bumps and things.

It looks really awesome on your car and makes me want to do it that much more!!! But I dont wanna destroy my front end on a raised manhole or something lol.

21 - 40 of 489 Posts