SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
While it is unfortunate if your car is stolen or in an accident as well.

Life isn't guaranteed to be without risk, that's why I have insurance.

I tend not to worry about stuff that is unlikely to happen to me.

Peter

·
Registered
337 Posts
... and back in the old days thief’s could steal a car by hot wiring two wires together. At least it was done that way in the movies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Personally I love the small sport key, I have it on a lanyard and is the only thing I used for 1.5 years.

If they steal the car I'll call support and the car gets shut down. This works via satellite and location is reported.

Of course, the bad actors can try to defeat all these, but I don't think they'll spend such energy unless looking at some supercar.

And that's why I have insurance.

BTW, similar approaches can be used to get all your rfid based data, like bank etc, which is way worse than a stolen car.

My 2c

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because you didn't buy the option.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Of course I didn't buy that option, the reason is in first post

Same as I would never buy a Panoramic sunroof but it is standard equipment in the R-Design model

There are simply some things I don't need

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought my car pre-configured and Keyless Entry was not a part of its equipment.
It was part of other car's configurations options i was presented.

It was in my desirable extras, BUT not a must-have, so i passed on it, because i valued the rest of the equipment this car had more than keyless entry.
When i bought the car, i became glad that my car had not keyless entry feature, as the absence of this feature, enhanced security and made it more difficult to be stolen.
Overall very happy, BUT after some days, i started regretting not having it (would still choose the same car, as it had all the rest equipment i wanted).

NOW, i would be very glad if i could retrofit this option, but i think its not retrofittable.

Strange how opinions and ''needs'' change...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Are Volvo’s common targets for theft in your part of the world? It was always my understanding that Volvo’s are harder to force entry into, and therefore not stolen as often.

I also just read something that Volvo’s SPA Remotes don’t transmit when not in motion, limiting the ability for someone to clone/spoof one.

I garage my XC60, but even when out in the wild, theft is why I insure. Although I do not believe Volvo’s are not frequently stolen around here.

Keyless entry is divine. It’s right up there with HUD in usefulness.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are Volvo’s common targets for theft in your part of the world? It was always my understanding that Volvo’s are harder to force entry into, and therefore not stolen as often.

I also just read something that Volvo’s SPA Remotes don’t transmit when not in motion, limiting the ability for someone to clone/spoof one.

I garage my XC60, but even when out in the wild, theft is why I insure. Although I do not believe Volvo’s are not frequently stolen around here.

Keyless entry is divine. It’s right up there with HUD in usefulness.
The answer is simple, Volvo is no safer than other car manufacturers, but it is also not intriguing to thieves because the market is limited and small

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I feel like I'm reading a post on the antique car club forum. The old man yelling at cloud meme fits perfect.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I love these modern drivers who did not know about the existence of this system until 5-6 years ago and today they cannot live without the same

It is difficult for them to press the key on the remote to unlock / lock

Vorsprung durch Technik :)

Same with PA system, today many can't live without the same :D

Maybe it's not so common car theft in the US BUT In UK 2017/18 alone, 112,174 vehicles were stolen - equivalent to 307 each day. :eek:

To a smart man this information is sufficient :bow:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I love these modern drivers who did not know about the existence of this system until 5-6 years ago and today they cannot live without the same

It is difficult for them to press the key on the remote to unlock / lock

Vorsprung durch Technik :)

Same with PA system, today many can't live without the same :D

Maybe it's not so common car theft in the US BUT In UK 2017/18 alone, 112,174 vehicles were stolen - equivalent to 307 each day. :eek:

To a smart man this information is sufficient
When someone wants to steal a car, there is nothing to stop them. Old fashion cars aren't better.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
When someone wants to steal a car, there is nothing to stop them. Old fashion cars aren't better.

I'm not talking about old cars but new cars with keyless system . It's a lot easier to steal a car with a keyless system than a classic remote

Experts says there is strong correlation with the wave of keyless car crime

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...isen-50-5-years-Home-Office-figures-show.html

I hope you now understand the point of my thread

You can search on YouTube, there are many videos of surveillance cameras how is stealing cars with keyless system

Here is to make it easier for you

or

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pretty sure my first - and so far only - keyless entry car was a Renault about 14 years ago but that's not really relevant. The fact is that keyless entry as implemented so far provides probably the easiest way for suitable equipped thieves to steal a car so that is the route they will choose.

There seem to be changes coming though. The XC40 Recharge page describes a key that becomes inert when not moved after a short period of time making these attacks impossible. There also appears to be a third party offering that may be of interest: https://www.nav.tv/secure-a-key/volvo

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Maybe they can learn from cellphone technology and add facial recognition to allow only owner to drive the car, and allow service people to use special dealer specific code to enable driving.

Fingerprint works only when you don't wear gloves.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 34 Posts