SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have noticed that when locking my 2015.5's doors using either of the rear door touchpads, they take longer to register and lock. The front doors react almost instantly when i rest my finger in the pad of the handle to lock. But after the locking using the rear door, i can quickly unlock and lock using the rear door without delay. Issue seems to only happen after a drive or longer periods of time. Is it normal that the front doors react quicker to locking than the rear? I will bring it the car in for a different concern and will ask the service advisor. Just want to hear your opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It was super annoying when my driver's door sensor stopped working so I was using the rear door handle to lock the car after getting out. I don't see any benefit to this time delay so probably just more quirky software from Volvo. I've noticed the confirmation beep only sounds after a drive as well. Unlocking and relocking without moving produces no confirmation beep. There was also certain lock settings that would not unfolding the mirrors after unlocking. I seriously think the programming in the door controllers was a high school learning project.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Our rears take longer than our fronts, sometime have to touch it multiple times.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Same here....what I have noticed is the closer the pocket I have the key fob in is to the door, it works faster.
I may look like I am striking a Shakira pose when locking from the rear door....but it seems to work.
Greg

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have had erratic behavior of the locking/unlocking features on the doors and trunk as long as I've had the car. Sometimes it will lock/unlock on the first try, sometimes it takes so long to get it that I give up and use the PCC. Usually the closer the PCC is to the door handle, the better it works, but that seems to be the only pattern I have noticed. The keyless features on my wife's Nissan work flawlessly, so I don't know what the deal is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine are less reliable now the weather is really cold. I had had the same thing in my Focus ST, cold weather or cold hands had me reaching for the rear door sometimes. I have also swung my pocket with fob closer to the door too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. good to know i'm not the only one. Never thought about the temperature being an issue but good possibility. yeah and the weird thing is that the delay only happens on the first try on the rear doors. Consecutive tries within a couple minutes has no delay. Seems as if the sensor in the rear door are in a sleep state and need to be woken up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had the same problen and the dealer changed the reciever and the module. And the locks are fast and no need to hang the leg up agaist the handle .

Same here....what I have noticed is the closer the pocket I have the key fob in is to the door, it works faster.
I may look like I am striking a Shakira pose when locking from the rear door....but it seems to work.
Greg

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Mine has a button I have to push on to lock the doors. Are you all talking about the newer style which has a sensor instead of a physical button?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I believe XC60's use a physical button to lock on the handles.

So any idea why the non-drivers door handle will have delay when trying to lock? I am guessing maybe they are in some kind of sleep state so that it does not present a big drain to the battery?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

So any idea why the non-drivers door handle will have delay when trying to lock? I am guessing maybe they are in some kind of sleep state so that it does not present a big drain to the battery?
My theory has been it takes longer because their locked. When we get out of the driver door, we just pull the handle and all doors remain locked. It seems the unlocked rear doors are faster if I use the unlock button before pulling the driver door handle.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

That's a possible theory. The non-drivers door microcontrollers could be in some kind of powered down state that has to wake up to send CAN Bus messages (but that's a pretty serious wake-up time period in microcontroller world). But why would these controllers be in a powered down state just seconds after driving the vehicle? Like I mentioned earlier I had to use the rear door handles to lock my car after parking. It had the same delay. There's no 2 second delay when pressing the window down button on the door or when using the buttons on the remote so I doubt a sleep state is the answer. I still say quirky programming.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My theory has been it takes longer because their locked. When we get out of the driver door, we just pull the handle and all doors remain locked. It seems the unlocked rear doors are faster if I use the unlock button before pulling the driver door handle.
Hmm I think you may be onto something here. For my settings, when I unlock a door through a handle, it unlocks all doors. When I drive, I set it to automaticaly lock all doors. I will try to unlock all my doors or reach back to open a passenger door and try to use the rear door tot lock.

but that doesn't explain why after I get out of the car and lock it, then I unlock again from outside and using the rear handle to lock it, it will be no delay.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hmm I think you may be onto something here. For my settings, when I unlock a door through a handle, it unlocks all doors. When I drive, I set it to automaticaly lock all doors. I will try to unlock all my doors or reach back to open a passenger door and try to use the rear door tot lock.

but that doesn't explain why after I get out of the car and lock it, then I unlock again from outside and using the rear handle to lock it, it will be no delay.
Interesting. I think the doors never really unlock, since its tied to the handle pull beause we have no lock to pull in an emergency. Maybe the car uses the handle pull to ready the sensor to be locked from the outside, rather than the unlock button or the setting to unlock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. I think the doors never really unlock, since its tied to the handle pull beause we have no lock to pull in an emergency. Maybe the car uses the handle pull to ready the sensor to be locked from the outside, rather than the unlock button or the setting to unlock.
Just tested out your theory and you are right. After my drive (with all doors being locked), if I unlock the rear door by pulling the interior lever once and then exit my car from the drivers seat, the rear door pad will react as quick as the drivers door pad. But if I don't unlock the rear door beforehand then the pad on that door will have a bit of a delay before locking. Wonder why the design is like this.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I guess I'm not too sure what you guys are talking about. In both my 2013 and now 2016, if you touch the inside of the handle it unlocks right away. Front or rear. Then you pull to open the door.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's about the locking behavior, not the unlocking behavior.
I guess I'm not too sure what you guys are talking about. In both my 2013 and now 2016, if you touch the inside of the handle it unlocks right away. Front or rear. Then you pull to open the door.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do recall that you can set unlocking behavior in the "my car" settings..... I had it set at just unlocking the door that was touched, then since I had a passenger, too, I set i at unlock at any door equals unlock at all doors.

The choices are unlock the one door only....or....unlock doors on the same side....or....unlock all doors... which is what I have opted for since I have limited patience for spousal eye rolling.

As far as lock procedures, I just stand nearest the door the lock touch attempt is made from and it works.

Greg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do recall that you can set unlocking behavior in the "my car" settings..... I had it set at just unlocking the door that was touched, then since I had a passenger, too, I set i at unlock at any door equals unlock at all doors.

The choices are unlock the one door only....or....unlock doors on the same side....or....unlock all doors... which is what I have opted for since I have limited patience for spousal eye rolling.

As far as lock procedures, I just stand nearest the door the lock touch attempt is made from and it works.

Greg
Try this. With only you in the car, exit the car after a drive. Obviously the driver door will be unlocked (all other doors should remain locked). Try to touch the door handle of one of the rear doors to lock the car. is there a delay in locking? vs. locking using the drivers door handle?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just tested out your theory and you are right. After my drive (with all doors being locked), if I unlock the rear door by pulling the interior lever once and then exit my car from the drivers seat, the rear door pad will react as quick as the drivers door pad. But if I don't unlock the rear door beforehand then the pad on that door will have a bit of a delay before locking. Wonder why the design is like this.
My guess is its computer engineer logic: the car will be locked from the opened door. The computer engineer doesnt account for our human flaws (after all they are perfect :)), such as being in a rush and forgetting to hit the driver lock pad and being too lazy to go back the two feet, so we hit the passenger rear lock pad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts