SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm an idiot and lost my fob Tuesday while jogging in a park. I've retraced my steps and checked with the office and it seems to be gone for good. Do I need to buy this fob from dealer and have it programmed with VIDA, or can a locksmith supply/program one of these things?

·
Registered
721 Posts
So, I'm an idiot and lost my fob Tuesday while jogging in a park. I've retraced my steps and checked with the office and it seems to be gone for good. Do I need to buy this fob from dealer and have it programmed with VIDA, or can a locksmith supply/program one of these things?
Pairing can only be done with VIDA or VDASH, but you should be able to pair a used fob instead of buying a new one. Can someone else confirm if used fobs can be paired?

Of course, even if used fobs can be paired, you have no way to verify that they work before you buy them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I suspected. Thanks! Dealer is quoting $350 for the fob and programming.

·
Registered
721 Posts
That's what I suspected. Thanks! Dealer is quoting $350 for the fob and programming.
That seems like a lot. If I remember correctly, a keyless drive fob is about $190, which means they're charging $160 of labor to program the key; doesn't seem like something that should take an hour and a half. But maybe there's an extra software charge through VIDA that Volvo imposes.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
That seems like a lot. If I remember correctly, a keyless drive fob is about $190, which means they're charging $160 of labor to program the key; doesn't seem like something that should take an hour and a half. But maybe there's an extra software charge through VIDA that Volvo imposes.
Seems about right. My cost for USB Nav updates software was ~$30 and then labor cost for install was $100.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I was charged $350CDN for a new fob. The dealership I bought the car from gave me a dead FOB, which I only discovered was dead a week or so after purchase. I went to a local dealer and they charged me the $350. I was angry enough to call the selling dealer and explained the dead FOB. They ended up sending me a trunk liner and a few Volvo goodies through the mail as compensation.

Be aware you can only have up to a max of 5 FOBs coded to the car. After 5, it's a whole new system that has to be put in and that's big bucks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You have to purchase them with the correct frequency for your region (North America, Japan, etc.) and they need to be in their package as it contains a pairing code. For North America the part is #31419131 (915mhz) and I paid $80ish from Tasca. My local dealer told me they charge $140 to add one or more keys if you have a working one already, but if for some reason the new keys don't add you forfeit that $140.

This is for a '15 V60

'15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray

·
Registered
721 Posts
Seems about right. My cost for USB Nav updates software was ~$30 and then labor cost for install was $100.
I paid $100 total for the update to get USB nav update capability. $30 for the software and $70 in labor.

The labor for that made sense because they had to babysit the car while the update downloaded and installed, which took an hour or so. But pairing a key doesn't take an hour. That's why the labor charge seems high to me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
software download is often a flat fee, plus software cost. if theres even a chance you will ever need another id recommend buying multiple keys at once, same labor and software price to do 1 key or 4 keys. the key fob if fine to buy online(and keep the packaging, it contains numbers needed to program new id to car). beware of the cheap inserts, ive never had trouble cutting a key from volvo, the metal used in generic blanks is far too soft and gets mangled in the machine.

edit: pay attention to 5 or 6 button fob, they are not interchangable

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Sounds right to me. Some dealers charge a half hour labor, some an hour. If they are charging an hour, that price seems correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts