SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my girlfriend's car has had no issues with the key switch since she's owned it, but last night it suddenly stopped working. The key goes in fine and you can turn to position 1, but no amount of wiggling and force will turn it to position 2.

I've tried oiling the key, spraying WD40 in the keyhole, resetting the alarm with the 5 lock/unlocks using the key. I dismantled my R's ignition (as a guinea pig) and was playing with the key tumbler and it works flawlessly with the ignition switch removed - her S60 still binds when I try the same thing... the ignition switch itself can be turned to position 2, so the problem is definitely in the lock itself.

I'm out of ideas on this one. We called a locksmith and the Volvo dealership and they couldn't offer any recommendations past oiling the key and wiggling it. They said the tumblers in the locks shouldn't go bad instantly, but they could wear out over time (which was not our case). Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did u try wiggling the steering wheel and turning the key at the same time. Many friends of mine have ran into this problem before.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Cylinder lock is busted. This happened to me about 2 months ago. Was a royal PIA and cost me a lot of $$$

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did u try wiggling the steering wheel and turning the key at the same time. Many friends of mine have ran into this problem before.
Re-read the first part about "no amount of wiggling and force" - guess I also meant the steering wheel as well. I ended up bypassing the cylinder lock and using the ignition switch to get it started and home. It's going to the dealer on Monday to get a new lock... to the tune of $500 ($300 for the part and $200 for labor)...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you do that?
Remove the 3 torx screws from the bottom of the steering column and remove the lower panel.
Remove the ignition switch (2 torx screws).
Put the key in the cylinder lock and turn to position 1.
Take a screwdriver and push in and turn the ignition switch just like you'd turn the key - should be running now.
Remove the shifter line which comes out of the back of the cylinder lock (this allows you to shift out of park), then push it in with your finger and shift into gear and...voila! You're rolling.

Took me 5 minutes to tear it apart and get the car started.

·
Registered
68 Posts
sounds like the transmission shift lock solenoid may be stuck. it typically happens if people spill some kind of beverage over their gear shifter. if the car doesn't have a manual override button, you should be able to disassemble the driver side panel of the center console and release the lock with your finger or a pen/pencil. it's like a little plastic tab that will cause a spring to release... you'll hear a slight *tick* sound

happened to me when a family member "borrowed" my car and had spilled something in that area. i removed the center console, cleaned up the spring, sprayed a little bit of wd40, and everything went well thereafter.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I had this problem with my S80. The key would rotate just fine up to position II, then stopped dead. I was afraid to push it any harder, but the general tide of advice on the net said to force it - so I got the valet key (more leverage), lubed it up and gave it a solid twist. It worked, and the lock cylinder has been fine ever since. Keeping my fingers crossed this doesn't crop up again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2009 S60 with 50,000 miles had the exact same thing happen. Couldn't get the key past postion 1. Obviously a problem with the ignition cylinder and not anything electrical. I tried lubing the key with lock-eze with no luck. I removed the lower panel of the steering column (step one of tagger's instructions above) and lightly tapped on the steel ignition switch and lock cylinder with a hammer. Success. I live 120 miles from the nearest dealership and was not too keen on having the car towed that distance to have the warranty work done. I do plan on having the cylinder replaced the next time I'm at the dealer, however.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The same problem was happening to me with my car. I wound up, after fighting with the lock for 20 min in a parking lot, to get it home, where I sprayed WD-40 into the cylinder and cycled the key. Kinda a bad idea, the lock got really hot, but a bunch of black **** came out onto the key, and ever since then the car has been ok.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
To the next person who finds this post after suffering the same problem: #1: FORCE IT! Common problem and you will feel that if you put more pressure on the key something will break. Had it happen, asked in the V70 forum where others gave me the same advice. #2, no WD-40. Buy powdered graphite. Keep putting it on the key and getting it in there and turning past II and back over and over. #3, as Cjones16 stated, heavy keychains hurry the failure along. Travel light, my friend.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Reviving the thread to say THANK YOU!!! and add just a couple details from my experience.

Remove the 3 torx screws from the bottom of the steering column and remove the lower panel.
T25 Torx.
The "and remove the lower panel" part was, for my panel, difficult. I had to press inward on the lower panel at the joint to make some finger joint catches release more easily. Do the left side first, then you can shove the whole thing a little to the right as you remove that side so it'll clear the lock cylinder that's partially limiting pulling it all straight downward.

Remove the ignition switch (2 torx screws).
T20 Torx
This ignition switch is at the left side of the steering column. An axle gets spun by the mechanical cylinder lock mechanism with the key and extends from there into this electrical ignition switch.

Put the key in the cylinder lock and turn to position 1.
Take a screwdriver and push in and turn the ignition switch just like you'd turn the key - should be running now.
The "push in" part is important because there's a pin inside the ignition switch hole that needs to get pressed in at the same time that you turn. I see that now.

Remove the shifter line which comes out of the back of the cylinder lock (this allows you to shift out of park), then push it in with your finger and shift into gear and...voila! You're rolling.
Not found. I've got a manual transmission. I guess the shifter line stuff is only for auto tranny's. :p

Took me 5 minutes to tear it apart and get the car started.
I'm a rookie. Took me far longer, especially to pry the lower panel apart while I was paranoid about breaking it. And those darned 3 Torx screws were a PITA to get to. I had to go get a flashlight for that.

But I won't need to call a tow truck to get my car to the dealership. Many, many thanks. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.