SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i try to start my car today but it wont let me go past position 1. I tried moving the steering back in forth since that's why it usually doesn't turn, but still the key wont turn to start the car. Then I figured something might be wrong with the key immobilizer, but the same key opens the car fine. As far as i can tell there is no dirt or grime in the lock cylinder. Am i missing something? The key worked fine last night and now it wont turn on my car. I also only have one key for the R, so trying another key is not an option :facepalm: .Any advice or help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 18 months ago. Wish I was at home, I could give you the exact info and cost to repair. If I remember they had to tow it and replace the ignition. At that point I was still under warranty so it was all covered fortunately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had this happen on a '98 XC70. It was the shifter, the car did not think that it was in park. If I remember correctly, there was a cable or something like that that was not fully engaging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This happened to me last year. I bought a can of graphite lock lube and sprayed it in the ignition until it bubbled out. Turned the key with moderate force a few hundred times, applying lube repeatedly until it loosened up. My ignition is still a little stiff, but I didn't have to take anything apart.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Search search search! ;)

Lots of threads on this... most of the time it seems that it can be resolved by either:

- putting pressure on the steering wheel while turn the key to ensure the steering is unlocked
- putting FIRM pressure on the key itself
- replacing the ignition cylinder lock

I ended up having the lock replaced - according to the dealer, it was trashed. If you need to get the car home, try reading my thread for a cheater way to get it started (requires removing part of the steering column cover)

"Remove the 3 torx screws from the bottom of the steering column and remove the lower panel.
Remove the ignition switch (2 torx screws).
Put the key in the cylinder lock and turn to position 1.
Take a screwdriver and push in and turn the ignition switch just like you'd turn the key - should be running now.
Remove the shifter line which comes out of the back of the cylinder lock (this allows you to shift out of park), then push it in with your finger and shift into gear and...voila! You're rolling."

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Search search search! ;)

Lots of threads on this... most of the time it seems that it can be resolved by either:

- putting pressure on the steering wheel while turn the key to ensure the steering is unlocked
- putting FIRM pressure on the key itself
- replacing the ignition cylinder lock

I ended up having the lock replaced - according to the dealer, it was trashed. If you need to get the car home, try reading my thread for a cheater way to get it started (requires removing part of the steering column cover)

"Remove the 3 torx screws from the bottom of the steering column and remove the lower panel.
Remove the ignition switch (2 torx screws).
Put the key in the cylinder lock and turn to position 1.
Take a screwdriver and push in and turn the ignition switch just like you'd turn the key - should be running now.
Remove the shifter line which comes out of the back of the cylinder lock (this allows you to shift out of park), then push it in with your finger and shift into gear and...voila! You're rolling."
Thanks a lot! I ended up searching the forum later on during the day but was in a rush in the morning. I will give this a shot and try to drive it to a local dealership and get it replaced.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looked at my paperwork from when this happened and it was the ignition lock cylinder. Cost about $260 for the part and it took them about 4-5 days to get the thing.
I sure hope it doesn't take that long :-/

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've been told by a locksmith that usually once you get it unstuck it doesn't happen again. I forced my key to turn - it took as much force as I could muster and it has been at least 6 months and I have had no issues turning it since. I've had this happen with both a 1998 C70 and my current 2005 S60R - the locksmith came out for the C70 and forced the key to turn - I had AAA at the time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been told by a locksmith that usually once you get it unstuck it doesn't happen again. I forced my key to turn - it took as much force as I could muster and it has been at least 6 months and I have had no issues turning it since. I've had this happen with both a 1998 C70 and my current 2005 S60R - the locksmith came out for the C70 and forced the key to turn - I had AAA at the time.
Same here, but I didn't force it.
It was more of a forward-backward movement, until it went through.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here, but I didn't force it.
It was more of a forward-backward movement, until it went through.
I tried forcing it for hours. i literally sat down in the car and played some music and attempted to turn the key with different methods. forcing it did not seem to make a difference though. ended up starting it the way tagger suggested and drove it to the dealer. Wont have my car back till Friday night/Saturday morning since the part comes from the east coast...and well you all know about hurricane Sandy. Estimate was $600-700...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

Happened to me 2 years ago. Collective wisdom was "force it!" I was nervous as anything, but forced it, and it broke free. After that I used power graphite a few times on the key for a few months, and its been fine ever since. Mind you, its NOT butter-smooth.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow. This exact same thing happened to me on the exact same day!

My part STILL isn't in. I've been car-less a week now. I'm starting to get angry.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Forget the part coming from the East coast right away, Rockleigh has no power, haven't for a week.
They're in the war zone from Sandy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts