SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignition switch has been acting up for the past week or so. When turning off the car it would sometimes get stuck at position 2 and not come out. Now tonight after I parked my car, I went to turn it on and it wouldn't go past position 1. I tried jiggling it every which way and it wouldn't go.

I finally got it to turn the car on by forcing it past position 1 but it didn't release back to position 2 after ignition. Turned it off, did the same thing and drove home. Now when I jam it past the car won't even start.

Anybody know what's going on?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ignition interlock pooched.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you forced the ignition interlock be careful driving as the interlock could still malfunction and lock your steering wheel.....:eek:

I've never heard of our cars locking the wheel while driving but I have heard of other cars doing this. Be careful!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you forced the ignition interlock be careful driving as the interlock could still malfunction and lock your steering wheel.....:eek:

I've never heard of our cars locking the wheel while driving but I have heard of other cars doing this. Be careful!
Thanks for the heads up.

Is this something that is easily replaced or am I going to have to head to the stealership? Ideas of costs?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Bump.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think this is a 'stealership' issue: you need the mechanical/electrical parts fixed properly and you really need the digital checked/reprogrammed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whitemoose I'm having the problem of getting my key to pass the first position to turn the car on.. I've tried everything and dont know where to go from here aside from calling the dealership which will obviously say tow it in so we can look at it kinda thing... Which is bs..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
IF you think a Stealership is bad go to the emergency room at the Stealerspital w/o insurance.
Of course there's StealerBucks charging outrageous price for over-roasted coffee to suck your money away too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Is this another key lock cylinder failure?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Is this something that is easily replaced or am I going to have to head to the stealership? Ideas of costs?
You need to order a new ignition lock from the dealer ($300). It will come from Germany, so it takes about a week.
It will come pre keyed to match your existing key.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can drill out the two bolts that hold the old one on, and replace it yourself. Took me about an hour to do mine myself.

Just Google it, there are a couple good threads with pics out there, one on Matthews Volvo site, and one on SS.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to hear this is happening to you as well, seems like a fairly common issue.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?182805-Key-wont-turn-can-t-start-car.-Help

tagger posted some useful info on my thread to turn on the car when the cylinder is bad. This way you wont have to get it towed if you decide to go thru the dealership.

This happened to me a month ago and ended up costing me $650. If you have the time, do it by yourself.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Here's the part on Tasca Lock Cylinder and Keys. Call them when you order and they will be able to have the new cylinder matched to the VIN (so it comes keyed to your car). Do it yourself, although be aware that the security bolts on the steering column (basically very smooth cones) will be a royal PITA to remove. I used a dremel, but another option is to use a cold chisel or center punch and get a good bite on the cone and get it to rotate that way. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Is this another key lock cylinder failure?
Yup, mine just shat the bed Friday.

It may not have had any bearing on the failure but I was in a rush. Turned the key from running to position 0 quickly and then pulled the key out. Think it died right there, still no steering lock and can't turn past position 1.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Happened on the XC-90 under warranty. Warranty covered towing from my garage, replacement and dealer complimentary loaner. Way to common across multiple models.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update.

I left it overnight and decided to see what I could do the next morning. I read around a bit and figured out that some WD40 might work.

Got in the car and liberally sprayed some WD40 into the lock cylinder a few times and just worked the key in and out a hundred or so times. Wiped up all the WD40 I could and it turned without a problem. I guess it was just some gunk buildup and the WD40 cut through it as well as lubricated it.

It got stuck one time today when I was trying to take it out but it seems to be working just as well as before. Unfortunately now I have another problem. The shifter gets stuck in Park and I need to force it to shift. I can hear it click to release when I step on the pedal but it still stays stuck until I jam it back. The joys of the R.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Update.
I guess it was just some gunk buildup and the WD40 cut through it as well as lubricated it.
Nada, it'll still fail in the short term.
Based on all the other threads out there in Volvo-land, I bet two-three weeks (I read ten to twelve different ones when mine bit the bed).
I did the same WD 40 trick, it bought me two weeks before complete failure. Luckily it snapped off in my own driveway, so no towing costs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After reading these posts of ignition failure it makes think that the failure could be related to having multiple keys including your ignition key on a key ring (sorta like a janitor key chain). The added weight of just a few keys can cause the tumblers to prematurely wear and get caught up in the ignition cylinder.

With my vehicles I only have the ignition key with a house key...nothing more. For those of you, who have more than keys than two; remember you can only drive one car at a time. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
After reading these posts of ignition failure it makes think that the failure could be related to having multiple keys including your ignition key on a key ring (sorta like a janitor key chain). The added weight of just a few keys can cause the tumblers to prematurely wear and get caught up in the ignition cylinder.
The part that wears out and eventually breaks is a sliding L shaped catch piece, not the tumblers. It wears out due to the number of times it is mechanically stressed, so eventually they all fail at some point. Every time you insert the key and twist the mechanism it wears a little.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts