SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this happened to a lot of people in the past, but its getting worse in my car. Its a 2001 S60 and the key often will not turn in the ignition. Its like something is blocking it but the steering wheel is not locked. I managed to get it working by wetting the key but I doubt this will solve anything.

Do I need to get a new ignition cylinder part fitted or is it just a case of squirting some oil in it? I don't want to get stranded so would like to solve it permanently before it gets worse!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm sure this happened to a lot of people in the past, but its getting worse in my car. Its a 2001 S60 and the key often will not turn in the ignition. Its like something is blocking it but the steering wheel is not locked. I managed to get it working by wetting the key but I doubt this will solve anything.

Do I need to get a new ignition cylinder part fitted or is it just a case of squirting some oil in it? I don't want to get stranded so would like to solve it permanently before it gets worse!
My 07V70 did this once and was dead in the water no matter what, at 70,200. Had extended warranty but it took 4 days for the tumbler to be programmed and sent from Germany. I would not wait if it were me. Mine happened while out of town on business and I missed a meeting as a result. Of course, I traded it on the spot for my 12 S60T6AWD with excellent help from Bob Kennedy in Charlotte.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have come across a few of these threads, here is in the R forum, and from what I understand is that the lock cylinder likely failing and will need to be ordered from Europe and replaced by a dealer.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Usually I wiggle the steering wheel a little while trying to turn the key in the ignition and that always works, same issue in my old 2008 2.5T and my sisters old 2002 2.4T and wiggling the steering wheel while turning the key always worked for us

1 - 4 of 4 Posts