SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!! I have a 2008 Volvo S40, 2.4i, 5-speed manual, roughly 230k miles. Went to go to work this morning, when I turned the key to start absolutely NOTHING happened. No dash lights, no locks, and my key got stuck. I readjusted the terminals and they’re good and tight, no fuses or anything were loose. I threw some jumper cables on for a good 5-10 minutes, and nothing. I just spent a lot of money getting a new water pump and timing belt, got the head redone, and a brand new Catalytic converter, and literally just got it inspected on Friday February 27th (it’s Monday March 1st now). PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you checked the connections on the CEM block under the glovebox? Check all of the connectors, maybe some of them are loose and got disconnected.

It honestly looks like a totally dead battery or not having a proper connection to or out of it. Although the roots of its draining are yet to be discovered for you if that's the case. Have you tried putting new battery? Maybe you can borrow it from someone for few minutes just to check for sure.

A few weeks ago I've encountered the same problem with a guy that got his V50 to my place just for an oil change, after that there was a total blackout - the reason for that was a broken positive cable from the battery. Check that all of the main cables under the hood.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's what happens when the battery is dead dead dead. No interior lights, no odometer reading, and when you turn the key to 2 it doesn't come back. Get a voltage reading on the battery before you decide to research crazy worst case scenarios.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what happens when the battery is dead dead dead. No interior lights, no odometer reading, and when you turn the key to 2 it doesn't come back. Get a voltage reading on the battery before you decide to research crazy worst case scenarios.
Alright. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the connections on the CEM block under the glovebox? Check all of the connectors, maybe some of them are loose and got disconnected.

It honestly looks like a totally dead battery or not having a proper connection to or out of it. Although the roots of its draining are yet to be discovered for you if that's the case. Have you tried putting new battery? Maybe you can borrow it from someone for few minutes just to check for sure.

A few weeks ago I've encountered the same problem with a guy that got his V50 to my place just for an oil change, after that there was a total blackout - the reason for that was a broken positive cable from the battery. Check that all of the main cables under the hood.
Yeah, I check the whole CEM yesterday and that was all good. Nothing loose, and my battery is maximum 2 years old. I replaced that when I replaced my starter. But worth a shot

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I check the whole CEM yesterday and that was all good. Nothing loose, and my battery is maximum 2 years old. I replaced that when I replaced my starter. But worth a shot
Yup, and in the meantime, while the battery is out, don't be afraid of taking the battery box out as there's only a couple of 10mm screws holding it in place, to check for any cracked or broken wires, at least one point from the checklist will be done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, and in the meantime, while the battery is out, don't be afraid of taking the battery box out as there's only a couple of 10mm screws holding it in place, to check for any cracked or broken wires, at least one point from the checklist will be done
Sounds good man. Thank you

·
Registered
2006 Volvo V50 T5 Auto
7 Posts
Check the ignition fuse if the other stuff doesn't work. My driver side heated seat blows the ignition fuse when I turn them on. Sounds pretty similar to what I had happen when it popped the first time. Key stuck, nothing worked. Replaced the fuse and it was all fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.