SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends

The buttons on the key for my 2007 V8 stopped working yesterday. I thought it was the battery but after changing it the key still wont work. I'm already down to one key and I know that they are pretty pricey so its not good.

What is my next step here? Try taking the key apart and fix it somehow? Is there any kind of "hack" that can get me a new key for under $500?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Remote key fob, right?

Open it back up, monkey around with a new battery and make sure it's in well. Have had this issue twice, once it would not work at all, another time had to press the unlock button 3 times (consistently) to get it to function. Wrote it up http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?215148-Remote-Weirdness-2005-XC90, suggestion made to me was what I'm suggesting to you and it's worked ever since. Push comes to and you think it's a goner, open the cover, detach the key portion with a torx driver and separate the remote shell carefully (press fit top/bottom) . That'll let you see if maybe it's got gunk or something else inside. Can also buy a used switchblade key on the big auction site for around $18, replace the remote plastic like I did and it'll look like new.

Just an idea, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the mirror and the fob are coupled.
So you can find used set mirror+key from the same car I think it will be cheaper than the new fob.

The issue also can be caused by the bad mirror.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am also having remote keyless problems. I am lost on where the mirror comes into play. My problems began when i dropped the remote and the cover and battery popped out. I have replaced the battery, taken the fob apart and cleaned my little heart out, but still no function.

04 3500 LB7 C&C
We move Portable Buildings!

·
Registered
77 Posts
First you need to ensure that the fob gets power from the battery.

Wireless communication with the car and the fob is going through the mirror.
So fobs are programmed in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts