SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S60 came with ONE key and ONE remote. From having a V70, I know that these things are stupidly expensive at the dealer but I called to check the current pricing.

$70ish for the key
$100 for "programming."

The thing that got me was $30 for software. WTF software has to be downloaded? Is it so special that they can't supply it with the overpriced key?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I finally found a local guy who will cut "laser cut" (there's no laser involved) keys. I found some blanks online. It will be about $30 each to cut them.

A while back, I read a recommendation to get a second ring antenna, plug that into the wiring harness, and then tape a working key to the antenna. That way the system reads an authorized transponder and will start with any key that will turn the lock.

I'll let you know how that works. If it works, I'll have three working keys for less than $100.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I bought the keys on Ebay, four keys for $30. Went to the locksmith and he cut all four for $100. Tested them and all turned the ignition and locked the doors.

Next step. Went home and took the ring antenna out of the dead V70. Opened up the steering column and plugged the second ring antenna into the harness. I put the original key through the ring and tried the new key. Vroom.

I then tried the original key along the ring instead of through, thinking that it would make a smaller thing to hide. The car cranked but wouldn't start. So I zip tied the key to the antenna in a configuration that worked and tucked it under the steering column cover.

Now I have a spare key to leave at home. I cut the plastic off one of the keys and attached it to the chain of my Medic Alert tag.

I used to carry a spare key in my wallet but I used to spend a good bit of time hiking and doing stuff like that and I wouldn't carry my wallet. I always have the Medic Alert tag so it made sense to carry a key on that. I stopped doing that with the V70 because I didn't want to spend $200 for a spare key and those big fat keys are too big to carry around your neck or in your wallet.

On another forum, not Volvo related, I was castigated for my approach. "Now someone can steal your car!" As if a car thief would look at my car and say, "I bet that guy is one of those that figured out how to bypass the immobilizer!" I was also told by countless people that the local hardware store could make keys. Yeah, sure.

Anyway, now I have four spare keys for less than one from Volvo.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Excellent. Just a question, when you unlock the car with the new key without the transponder inside, does the car alarm go off ? Or rather, the dash light starts blinking fast ? (the siren may be already dead)

Otherwise, you could have also removed the transponder from the genuine key and put the little thing at that place, and had a second key.

A new blank key is cheap from Ebay, but finding a local place to cut is is not easy - still there are services on Ebay for this

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your dealer price was cheap. Mine has a sign on their service counter $550 for key with remote!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent. Just a question, when you unlock the car with the new key without the transponder inside, does the car alarm go off ? Or rather, the dash light starts blinking fast ?
Haven't tried that.

Otherwise, you could have also removed the transponder from the genuine key and put the little thing at that place, and had a second key.
I didn't want to butcher the original key in case I need it for some reason.

A new blank key is cheap from Ebay, but finding a local place to cut is is not easy
True. It took me quite a few phone calls to find a guy who could cut "laser keys."

- still there are services on Ebay for this
Really? Did not know that. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
my 2004 just came with the valet key. My 2005 came with both remotes and the valet key, so now I can play with those flood lights under the outside mirrors! ;-)
Also have the window sticker.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my 2004 just came with the valet key. My 2005 came with both remotes and the valet key, so now I can play with those flood lights under the outside mirrors! ;-)
Also have the window sticker.

How do Volvo valet keys differ from regular keys?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts