SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you program a new key using DICE/VIDA? That alone would make it worth it.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not about programming a key to the car, it's about adding/entering the key to the car. To do this you need the original key code as shipped with the new key from Volvo or a quality supplier of choice. this can indeed be done via Vida.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's not about programming a key to the car, it's about adding/entering the key to the car. To do this you need the original key code as shipped with the new key from Volvo or a quality supplier of choice. this can indeed be done via Vida.
Do you know the procedure? I plan on getting Vida soon and maybe sooner since I have two useless keys from a Volvo dealer sitting on my desk until I get the software upgrade that the dealer wants $100 for.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Do you know the procedure? I plan on getting Vida soon and maybe sooner since I have two useless keys from a Volvo dealer sitting on my desk until I get the software upgrade that the dealer wants $100 for.
You need VIDA AND DICE, not just VIDA.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just buy a new blank key from Volvo for under 30 bucks, have them cut and re program. I just had this done this morning and it cost 87.92 out the door at the dealer. I thought it was fair. Includes parts labor and cutting.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just buy a new blank key from Volvo for under 30 bucks, have them cut and re program. I just had this done this morning and it cost 87.92 out the door at the dealer. I thought it was fair. Includes parts labor and cutting.
Where did you get that price? Last I checked, it was $270. I ran out of service department all bent out of shape and few days later, I started up the Dremel.
And I do not think that you will be able to program a key with Chinese dice/vida. Please let us know if you pull it off.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
And I do not think that you will be able to program a key with Chinese dice/vida. Please let us know if you pull it off.
Is a software purchase/download from Volvo Corporate required? If not, then the Chinese knockoff can do it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is a software purchase/download from Volvo Corporate required? If not, then the Chinese knockoff can do it.
Oh good point, I wonder if it needs to download something or connect to something external that the Chinese version can't do. Anyone with VIDA/DICE know?

Also, $87 for a new key and programmed is dirt cheap. I've heard typically in the $200-300 range all told.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
i bought a oem transponder ring from a junk yard for $10, had the dealer punch me out two old skool style keys for $11 each.

took off the 3 torx screws off the bottom of my steering column.
unplugged the OEM transponder ring
plugged in the new transponder ring
took one of the transponder key RFID pellet out of one of the busted "R" switchblades
glued the pellet to the new transponder ring and shoved it back under the dash

now my car starts with old skool key. $32 fix and i still have 3 keys that will start my car, two old skool and one "R" switch blade.

but i did add in two way alarm remote starter with pager, drone mobile unit, and EZ-Go RFID proximity keyfob

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought a blank key from tasca for 36 shipped, then paid Scott Volvo here in PA to program and cut the key.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DID same, no chip keys needed anymore

On s60 2004 works flawlessley, ring under dash
Did same on c70 and it sometimes needs time in pos 1 to read chip, then starts fine, unsure what to do to make it read chip better
When same chip was in key, worked 100% everytime

i bought a oem transponder ring from a junk yard for $10, had the dealer punch me out two old skool style keys for $11 each.

took off the 3 torx screws off the bottom of my steering column.
unplugged the OEM transponder ring
plugged in the new transponder ring
took one of the transponder key RFID pellet out of one of the busted "R" switchblades
glued the pellet to the new transponder ring and shoved it back under the dash

now my car starts with old skool key. $32 fix and i still have 3 keys that will start my car, two old skool and one "R" switch blade.

but i did add in two way alarm remote starter with pager, drone mobile unit, and EZ-Go RFID proximity keyfob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts