SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound odd,
But does anyone have any pictures of their keys. I am really curious to see what the s60's keys look like and would love some detailed pics of someones. I am especially curious as to see how they compare to my friend's Audi, and Mercedes. Thx for the help.
Travis

·
Registered
5 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Kermit:
This might sound odd,
But does anyone have any pictures of their keys. I am really curious to see what the s60's keys look like and would love some detailed pics of someones. I am especially curious as to see how they compare to my friend's Audi, and Mercedes. Thx for the help.
Travis

·
Registered
5 Posts
quote:

This might sound odd,
Travis
Not odd at all. I don't have a picture, but sadly the key and the remote are not integrated like most others. You will have a remote and a seperate key

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

This might sound odd,
Travis
We do not have the same set up as Mercedes and BMW but I am sure that our keys also cost a lot less to replace (although they are not cheap!).

All keys are laser cut and starting with MY1999 they have a microchip implanted into the plastic part of the key. That microchip has about 1.5 million codes stored in it. The same 1.5 million codes are also programmed into the ignition module. Once you turn the key and just a fraction of a second before the engine starts, one of those 1.5 million codes is selected at random and, via an antenna in the ignition switch, will search for its twin brother/sister (or whatever you wanna call it) stored in the ignition module. Once a match is achieved, the ignition module gives the command for the spark plugs to fire and...you have the sweet sound of a Volvo engine! This prevents someone who may have been abe to get an exact copy of your key to start your car and go away with it. It is pretty hard to get an exact copy of yuor key (since they are laser cut) but it can happen. But without the programmed chip, it is not possible to start the car. The chip also serves other purposes. For example, if your car is a sedan, as long as you are using one of your master keys (you get three keys; one black--VALET and two grey keys--MASTERS plus two remote controls) you can press the valet lock button (located on the bottom of the HVAC controls) and the trunk will be locked (presumably you put something of value there, prior to doing that). Then, you give the valet the black key and while he/she can use this key to start the car, drive it, etc., the valet cannot get in the trunk. That key will not fit in the emergency lock (located on the underside of the trunk) nor will it let a remote pop the trunk while the car is functioning with that valet key. You can only override the valet lock button by inserting one of the master keys in the ignition switch. That and some other things!

As far as the remotes, the new Volvos have a triangular remote (or key fob) which is battery operated and its primary funtion is to operate the power lock system and/or activate/deactivate the security system from far away. It is a two-step system. Furthermore, the remote 5 buttons. A "lock" button, an "UNLOCK" button, a "TRUNK" button, a yellow circular button which is used to activate the "safe approach" lighting system (you just push that button and the park lights, tail lights, interior courtesy lights and the lights located underneath each side mirror stay on for 30, 60 or 90-second intervals) and a red trinagular button which serves as a "panic" button.

Should one lose his/her remote, theycan still get in and out of the car, lock and activate the security system and unlock and deactivate the security system with no problems. The remote is just an enhancement.

Replacement costs are about $75 for the keys and about $100 for the remotes. These figures do not include the charge (about $20 to $25) that Volvo will levy for the download of the necessary software required to program both the key and the remote.

Hope this answers your question! No PICS!

Yannis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.