SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever programmed their own key? My keyphobs's board is fine but the imobilizer/transponder pill was crushed some how making it impossible to start.. is there any way one can buy the pill online and reprogram it? I have the backup key for now, but I'd like to use my phob to start the car again, anyhelp is appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I believe the immobilizer being ruined means you are off to the dealer for a new one.

If you have a second FOB with a functioning immobilizer in it then you could open it up, pull the working one out, permanently attach the immobilizer near the ignition, then use both keys with no issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply Pow3Red, That might have to do for now.. In the future ill definitively have to buy a new key, honestly i might just use the stale backup key for now and not risk breaking my only working key..

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I thought once they were programmed, that was it, but I don't know that for certain. If it is possible, I wonder what the dealer charges to do the programming.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just went through a key song-and-dance. It's ruinously expensive these days: a new key only (old-style key and immobilizer chip, no remote) set me back $250, and a new switchblade key with remote was $380, and that was WITH me buying the remote online for $80 (with the special code needed to pair it to the car via VIDA), rather than the $150 at the dealer parts counter.

Cost breakdown:

Switchblade key head (from dealer, pre-cut from Sweden, w/blank immobilizer chip): $80
Pre-purchased remote (online): $80
Labor: $120
Software programming (immobilizer): $30
Software programming (remote): $70

If your remote still works, that's still something like $200+ for just the key head new, cut, and programmed to the car. Dealers being dealers, I imagine they'll only work with Volvo OEM keys with the transponder chip in them, and that the transponder chip alone isn't in the catalogue.

Before I bent over and let the dealer go to town, I called just about every single locksmith in the greater Portland metro area, hoping they could cut me a key blank based on the old-style key I'd made earlier and clone the immobilizer chip from it. Once they heard "mid-2000s Volvo", though, they all ran screaming. I even tried talking to locksmiths who advertize working with ID48 transpondered keys from other manufacturers (like similar-vintage VWs), and they still wouldn't touch Volvo keys with a ten-foot pole. Wouldn't even cut a key blank, never mind messing with the transponder.

·
Registered
868 Posts
All that said, has anyone on here had luck adding additional keys themselves if you've already got two? I know with some other cars (most promisingly Fords, for example, and I've seen some remarks that this sort of procedure also works with P80 Volvos), if you have at least two keys' immobilizers already paired to the car, you can add more by cycling through your existing keys before ending with the new key, per this Ford example:

With the 1st working key turn the ignition to RUN but do not start the engine. After the security “Theft” light on the dash goes out, remove the key and insert the 2nd working key. Again, turn the key to the RUN position but not crank the engine. When the security light goes out remove the 2nd key and insert the new key and turn to the RUN position just like the 2 previous keys. After the security light goes out turn the key to off, then start the vehicle with the new key. Test the old keys to ensure all 3 work properly.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have cut my own keys for my P2s and others. I have a key cutter that will do this. Volvo has the ability to hold 6 programmed keys. However, only 3 will have the memory seat capability. Since the transponder is toast in the case, it is better get a key head from Volvo. You can a blank key for about $35 or a key cut for your car for about $70 from Volvo. You will need to show ID and vehicle registration if you are getting a precut key in most cases.

Once you have a key that is cut you will need it programmed with VIDA or at dealer. If there is some other way I do not know. I have programmed my own using VIDA. This will require software which was something like $26 from Volvo Tech and a subscription which was the last time I checked about $114 for 3 days. I have heard there was a price drop but have not confirmed this.

If going to the dealer, call all the Volvo dealers you may go to since the prices vary as to what they charge.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I bought just the key head off eBay ...had it cut for $25 by a lock smith then a Indy key programmer charged me $60. The dealer will charge anywhere from $130 to $160 alone for programming.

i used a generic brand key for like $15 ....so like $100 all in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...53f6a33&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=310629955585
How the hell did you manage that?! I must've called like 8 or 9 different area locksmiths and none of them would go near it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
868 Posts
Good luck buying the key head aftermarket. The dealer wasn't able to program the "blank" transponder chip in the one I bought on ebay for $30, hence I had to buy a key head from the parts counter for $80. Ended up being only a little more expensive than if I'd brought one in, as the dealer key came pre-cut straight from Volvo and so avoided the dealer's $35 cutting fee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts