SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am a newbie and checked the FAQ for this topic and couldn't find anything to help me. I am in the market for an S60R and would like to know what key (major) maintenance items you would check/question if you were buying a car. I am guessing the timing belt would be an item to ask about. The angle gear also seems like it could be a maintenance issue. How do you check it to see if you there is an issue with it and is there specified maintenance that should be completed for it?
Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
AG can be evaluated to some degree by putting it on a lift and looking below area where AG meets the transaxle. The coupling turns to powder and a heavy trail/stain running down from that area where the two meet is always on cars I see with failed AG collars.
Heavily oily and dripping AG is usually not a good sign either.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
If you're looking for a MT, definitely look for a replaced slave cylinder in the maintenance history.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would add leaky struts to the list as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. The thread was a great start. I also appreciate the AG info.
I have been looking at a 2007 with 116,000 miles. The owner said he had a code that indicated a suspension issue, but his mechanic thinks it is a nuance code. Does this raise any red flags?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for the info. The thread was a great start. I also appreciate the AG info.
I have been looking at a 2007 with 116,000 miles. The owner said he had a code that indicated a suspension issue, but his mechanic thinks it is a nuance code. Does this raise any red flags?
Thanks,
Jim
Not without knowing the actual code/warning message. 2007 is the last year of production of the R and generally considered the best year. Make sure the Timing Belt service has been done and is documented - I believe a sticker comes in the OEM T-belt kit to be placed under hood (on the belt cover?) notating the mileage/date of the service. Check the expansion tank for signs of oil. I stick my finger in the coolant while it is cold to look for signs oil mixed into the coolant (bring a rag). If its an automatic and you don't have records of the transmission fluid being renewed in the last 2 years I would immediately have it drained/flushed at a Volvo dealer (due to the 6 speed auto's harder nature to service) after purchasing it.

Check the spring seats for wear too, they mount on top of the springs/struts and are visible under the hood. Replacement isn't expensive but should be taken care of ASAP if worn. IPDUSA.com sells heavy duty replacements.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He said the timing belt was changed at 90K, and the transmission has been serviced as well, I think he said at 30K intervals. I'll look/ask for the sticker and get the service documentation. Good idea on the coolant check and I'll research the spring seats.
The code for the suspension was going to be checked by the dealer, so I should find out what it is when I see the car.
Thanks to all for the good info, I certainly feel more educated in what to look at when checking the car.
Let me know if anything else comes to mind.
Thanks,
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts