SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wasn't very happy with the pleather covering on the stock keys, so I shelled out a few hundred bucks for the wood key, and have been extremely unimpressed with the build quality and wear characteristics of the fob. After only a few weeks of use, it started to degrade, and after a few months it looks like it's been carried through a war zone in a pocket full of nails and broken glass and razor blades. Anyone else unhappy with the build quality of their fobs? There is almost 0 actual metal on the darn thing, just black plastic that someone used a shake can full of somewhat metallic paint on from the looks of it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same here. If you look at the key wrong, paint will chip off.

Whenever I have the key in my pocket, it’s on a key ring with only two other keys: a house key and an office key, which doesn’t seem too unreasonable.

And yet, 7,500 miles later my key looks very similar to what you describe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
After 9 months my fob still looks brand new. It always goes in my right front pocket by itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 9 months my fob still looks brand new. It always goes in my right front pocket by itself.
Are you wearing some sort of bespoke trousers with pockets lined in crushed velvet? Do you have any other keys attached to the fob? I'm 90% sure the additional keys are what is chewing up my fob, but at the same time, Volvo should recognize that they've included a freaking attachment point on the fob for other keys, so maybe the fob should be designed to be in the presence of other keys without disintegrating....

·
Registered
997 Posts
yup fob's are pretty cheaply made. I wish they didn't use the silver spray paint. It starts flaking the first month. That said, I now only carry the little key and remote operate if needed through my phone.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hmmm. Black leather wrapped fob looks pretty good with no special care. Have about 6 other keys and I just sort of sling it around.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This may sound stupid and overly obsessive but i've started to carry my sport key everywhere and only use my actual key fob when I'm going out to a special occasion or event. My fob still pretty much looks new.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My wife's fob looks like new 8 months in.
Mine does not, because I dropped it twice :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This may sound stupid and overly obsessive but i've started to carry my sport key everywhere and only use my actual key fob when I'm going out to a special occasion or event. My fob still pretty much looks new.
Just a note of warning:

I too only used the sport key and one time I was running on fumes and went into a gas station and the freaking gas cover wouldn't open! I called VOC figuring they could open it but NOOOOOO. the only solution was to leave the car, lock it WITH the remote and unlock it WITH the remote! Locking and unlocking by touching the handle wouldn't work! Fortunately my wife was with me and had the large remote. Since then I use the full remote more than the tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just a note of warning:

I too only used the sport key and one time I was running on fumes and went into a gas station and the freaking gas cover wouldn't open! I called VOC figuring they could open it but NOOOOOO. the only solution was to leave the car, lock it WITH the remote and unlock it WITH the remote! Locking and unlocking by touching the handle wouldn't work! Fortunately my wife was with me and had the large remote. Since then I use the full remote more than the tag.

Same thing happened to me fortunately I still had enough gas to go home and go back the gas station. At the time though, I was very confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just a note of warning:

Same thing happened to me fortunately I still had enough gas to go home and go back the gas station. At the time though, I was very confused.
Thanks for bringing this up here! I didn't know this.
Was going to lend the car to my uncle for a day with the "sport key" next month. Now I know to fuel it up beforehand!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just a note of warning:

But the fuel cap in XC60 does not lock. Maybe you have and XC90

·
Registered
421 Posts
On a funny note...on a XC 60 T8..to open the gas door, you have to push a button on the dash.....I didnt know that, nor did the salesman.....he was going to put a ticket in for a stuck gas door!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
What do you mean? The fuel filler flap has a locking mechanism. It won't open unless you unlock the car..
I am 100% positive that it does not lock. Have you tried yours? Lock the car go away come back after a while and try only to open the gas door. You will be socked to find out that it is actually unlocked. There is no locking mechanism. At least on the 2018 model, which I think is also yours.

Only on T8 the charging port door is permanently locked and opens only from the button on the inside which is located on the left next to the boot and light dimmer buttons.

Maybe some other XC60 owners can confirm that or tell me the opposite which eventually will make my list with things that need fixing by the dealer much bigger.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts