SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a full interior swap on my R. After doing so, I have to press lock/unlock 3 times on my remote for the function to work. It's like clock work. It's like it's literally programmed that way now and I can't find anything related to help me fix it. I thought the battery was dying so I bought a new one and replaced it. I even re bent the contacts inside the remote to make sure the battery was making full contact. That definitely isn't the problem. Anyone have any ideas?? I don't have vida/dice, but I'm guessing maybe a remote reprogram is in my future.

·
Registered
222 Posts
one of my remotes is like that, have to press the button a few times to make it work. The dealer had a tester and checked it for me (free) and you could see the unlock button was working intermittently. so a replacement is in my future too.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Numerous fobs for me have been inconsistent before and this always solves it. Fold up a piece of paper a few times and put it between the battery and the back cover. It sounds like if it's like clockwork for you, you've got a different problem, but it's definitely worth a shot. FWIW, it worked better than bending the contacts for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Numerous fobs for me have been inconsistent before and this always solves it. Fold up a piece of paper a few times and put it between the battery and the back cover. It sounds like if it's like clockwork for you, you've got a different problem, but it's definitely worth a shot. FWIW, it worked better than bending the contacts for me.
I don't why i haven't thought about this earlier, such a simple trick! I just did it and it seems like it fixed it for me. Thank you for sharing!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it were that simple for me. I tried the paper trick but it wasn't the problem. Does anyone know if the DDM is what actually controls the locking process? After the interior swap, my front windows would only move not even an inch up or down. I ended up having to do the reset trick by pulling each fuse while engaging the auto up/down function. Since the windows and lock button are part of that same module I wonder if there is a process to reset the locks like there is the Windows??

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
your rear view mirror, aka the Upper Electronic Module or UEM. A quick google got this but I don't know if it's good info or [email protected]!

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/342-resetting-upper-electronic-module-uem/

btw...did the full interior swap include the mirror? The mirrors are programmed to a specific vehicle and can't be swapped around!

I tried doing this reset but it didn't fix it. Not even sure if anything was actually reset as the car gave no indication that it was. Not sure if anything is supposed to happen to confirm the reset. Looks like I need to buy vida/dice ASAP and see if that'll tell me anything.

No, I did not swap the rearview mirror, its still the original to the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update that I fixed the problem. Found the proper reset procedure for the locking module. Using key at the external door lock, you lock/unlock 3x. Keyfob immediately started working correctly after that.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Just wanted to update that I fixed the problem. Found the proper reset procedure for the locking module. Using key at the external door lock, you lock/unlock 3x. Keyfob immediately started working correctly after that.
Good info! Did you put the key into the door or just stand outside and use the fob?

·
Registered
958 Posts
After putting in a new car battery about a month ago, my key fobs only worked occasionally and the sunroof operation was spotty also. Finally took the car in for it's 185k service and my tech said it looks like the UEM is cooked. So I did a search, found the above comment and called my Indie to try it and he said the key fob and sunroof now work.
He had never heard of that reset and he is a Volvo Master Tech, so I appreciate this sites help once again. I hope the fob and sunroof keep working after the reset. O, he also said that the UEM is about $550 from the dealer and I can't buy a used one as they are vin specific. Anyone know if that is correct?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That is why I am a member in this site. I have fixed so much with their help on my 13 yr old.

Even modern day Volvo techs don’t have a chance to work on these cars. How many are their in the road? All Volvo’s I see are new.

I’m sure when they test drive it they poop their pants.

·
Registered
958 Posts
O, he also said that the UEM is about $550 from the dealer and I can't buy a used one as they are vin specific. Anyone know if that is correct?
Doors didn't work this morning until I did the reset, so the UEM is likely failing. Can I buy a used one or must it be new so the dealer can put my vin in it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts