SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 854R. Last night the remote worked great, this morning, nothing. I quickly searched the threads but didn't find anything. I replaced the batteries and it didn't make a difference. Is there a "learning" process after replacing the batteries? The remote still makes the clicking beep sound when the lock and unlock buttons are pressed.

I know if I turn the key in the door lock twice it arms the alarm but I would still like the fob to work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Any other electrical gremlins?

Check your B cable.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None. B cable is good and snug. Just seems odd that after locking 7 hours earlier my car just said, "no, you don't really want to go to work do you?"

Also I only have 1 fob and 1 key. The car has an immobilizer chip but that system is working fine.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
None. B cable is good and snug. Just seems odd that after locking 7 hours earlier my car just said, "no, you don't really want to go to work do you?"

Also I only have 1 fob and 1 key. The car has an immobilizer chip but that system is working fine.
Not just snug, but look for corrosion. How old is it?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just reprogram the fob manually. Takes 5 seconds and it's free. I had a similar issue and somehow the fob lost its memory/programming. Haven't had an issue since I reprogrammed it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cables look fine and the connections are less than a year old. The original ones had arched so much there was only 1/16 of material connecting the B+ cable to the terminal.

Reprogram...how? It is a turn the key 5 times and light candles thing? :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK got it. Thank ya guys.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Im having the sae issue with my T5-R. Cant get the LED to light up when ive switched the ignition 5 times to program the fob. What B cable should i look for? Im loosing my mind

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
How do you reprogram the fob?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
How do you reprogram the fob?
Get in the car and lock the doors

Put ket in ignition

switch from position I to II 5 times, ending in position II

Then press the unlock button. IF everything works out, the doors should unlock and your fob is programmed

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
thanks will try when I get home.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Did not work for me. How fast do you switch back and forth from I to II? Also, is the light on the dash suppose to do something? Mine does not.

I do have 1 fob that works and 2 that do not.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Did not work for me. How fast do you switch back and forth from I to II? Also, is the light on the dash suppose to do something? Mine does not.

I do have 1 fob that works and 2 that do not.
If your ignition is old like mine, take abit more time to make sure it actually goes into position I and II. I was fooled while switching. You think it's in II but it didn't "click" yet.
as for the light don't worry about it.mine didn't either

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My ignition is pretty new. When I looked at the remote closer, I realized that the unlock button wasn't clicking, only the lock button was. So I cracked the case and took it apart (that's what I do) and when I got into it I found that the unlock button was gummed up with some green wax stuff. So I scraped a lot of it off but that didn't get the button to click. I then got my ohm meter out and checked a few soder points and pushed the button to see if I had contact. It was hard to get current flow with the unlock button so I put some heat on it with a soder iron and blew it out, then it clicked good and did let current flow.

I then tried to program it to the car again with no success. :(

I have another remote with both of the buttons gummed up. I tried to clean the stuff off of it and the buttons immediately fell apart so I just tossed that one.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stupid question but do you have fresh batteries in the remotes? My dash light blinked a few times after the 5th turn to let me know it was ready to program the remote. I don't know enough about it to help out much more than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts