SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone with this issue? pulled the car out of the garage into the driveway and pulled the key out-first weird thing was the radio continued to play. got the kids in and put the key into the ignition and radio went off, but no indicator lights and when I turned the ignition nothing. info displays-key error, try again.
well we tried a few times and no luck. called road side assistance and they state-"take everyone out of the car, lock and car, and keep keys several feet away. return in 5 min and try to restart the car"
it didn't work and we even went to a birthday party for three hours and tried it no luck.
currently waiting for the tow company to tow the v50 to my volvo dealer for the a.m.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Same thing happened to me
Tow truck had to bring it in and if I remember correctly they thought they had to replace something but it ended up being a software flash or something. I can look in my records when I get home if it helps.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: key error-car won't start (ronin-0707)

I once had the first issue, being able to remove the key without having shut off the car. But, no issues after putting the key back in and turning it fully off.

If you received a Key Error message, the car certainly stored a code and there will be plenty of diagnostic info for them to fix it. Let us know what they say.

Tom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I got the car back and was just a software issue but the "cem" was reflashed for a software update.
funny thing was that after the car was unloaded to the dealer it started up last night, but it flashed a "airbag warning" for a second or so and went out. still left it at the dealer obviously.
thanks for the relplies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: (ronin-0707)

Happened to me once as I was leaving the office at night...tried several times and was about to panic....

On the nth time, the thing clicked and the car started normal. Phew....hadn't happened since though and I don't think there was any updates done on the car software since....weird these electrical gremlins....

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have a key error from time to time , but after i try to start the car the second time it works without any problems

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: (passat)

This concerns me with these keys. That everything is so electronic and could strand us

My mum had a brand new Merc C class, that failed after 1 week. The car was off the road for 4 weeks waiting for a brand new ECU from Germany!!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
so far I've experienced a couple times where I would sit down in the car, insert my key, and get the key error msg on the screen.

when that happened, I just took out the key, pressed the lock button, then the unlock button again, and then tried the key again, and it worked. Happened twice, completely random times, but hasnt happened in awhile... locking and unlocking resolved the problem each time.

Maybe my key battery is dying?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: (SirSteak)

Quote, originally posted by SirSteak »
Maybe my key battery is dying?

You should see a message on the information display in the instrument cluster if the fob battery is getting low on juice.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: (mullmann)

Quote, originally posted by mullmann »
You should see a message on the information display in the instrument cluster if the fob battery is getting low on juice.

hmm, well its not the battery then. weird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts