SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased a 04 S60R, and was going to do a complete service on it, has anyone every used the Kevlar timing belts and are there worth the extra? Or are the stock ones good enough? Thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Stock ones are probably good enough, but I have the Kevlar one on my S60R and the quality is very good. Do it if you want. not much more $ And its blue...so.....:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Stock ones are plenty strong. It's up to you whether the extra is worth it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah there's not gunna be any problems. It's made by Gates. They make the oem ones too. It's just stronger. Does it need to be. Probably not. But whatever. No one snaps the belt. Failures are caused by the tensioner failing. So when you do the timing belt service make sure you get a gates belt. Kevlar or not. And OE manufacturer idler and tensioner. Otherwise you're being an r tard

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Would you still follow the OE replacement interval, or being that the larger concern is the pulleys, to replace the pulleys and not the belt at the OE interval be stupid? (rhetorical question)

To me, for the average Joe unless the belt breaking has you super paranoid or you must have every blue mod out there it's mostly geared towards customer appeal than improving upon an already great design.

That said, I'd probably buy one... in 7 years or 90k miles :D

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I think anytime the belt has been on for more than a few k and you take it off, it should be replaced. Just my thinks and thoughts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys, I don't care about the aesthetics it's will be behind a cover anyway, so think I'll just stick to stock and save a few $$$

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The bearings usually fail before the belt unless you have oil leaking onto the belt. Stock is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts